• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Necrobump given Amboy's recent new thread on the topic. I came across this searching for news articles. Apparently I missed this post when I commented in 2019.

This is correct, but AFAIK its only for the Evinrudes. Im sure others may have done it as well.

As a cost saving move, Evinrude produced a single engine for both the 9.9 and 15hp units. Literally the only difference between the two is the carb. You can switch a 1970s-80s Evinrude 9.9 to a 15 simply by installing a 15hp carb. (and VV if you are crazy) EVERYTHING is the same between the two engines. (except maybe the prop due to pitch differences?)

Which probably explains why there are still so many 40+yo 9.9s out there. They last forever because you cant get them up to full RPMs! Its like all of us 9.9 owners are driving them like a little old lady to and from church only. We cant possibly overload the engine and wear it out. :):

I actually started to buy a 15hp carb for mine. Then during checkout I realized I didnt NEED it, and I'd only be harming the motor's longevity. So I abandoned that project.

And somebody else mentioned sticker swaps, etc. If you did the carb swap (and prop swap (presumably) to have the right pitch), the likelihood that you'd have a ranger smart and thorough enough to bust you is highly unlikely. They'd have to be able to know the difference between the carbs and the correct prop pitch. And I dont see that much detail paid to it unless there was a fatality investigation. (or maybe a complaint from a well connected sailboat owner because you were hotrodding)
    I'm pretty sure it goes for the Mercs as well, at least some of them

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For years I kept both a 7.5 Evinrude and a 25 hp Yamaha in the shed for the same 14 ft boat. An old 7.5, even in mint shape with low hours, is not worth very much so I just kept it. I was glad I did.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    If it was "Possible" to get that big a gain in HP by just stepping up on carb size (over 30% when you do the math) then everybody would be doing it. I am not seeing that as a possibility. Carb size is directly related to displacement and other factors. Under size it and the engine will be to lean when in the power band and burn the piston. Especially on a 2 stroke. To big and it just gags.

Oh, and the lifetime LTCH is going away.....:):
    Guess your crystal ball wasn’t clear on the LTCH thing.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Necrobump given Amboy's recent new thread on the topic. I came across this searching for news articles. Apparently I missed this post when I commented in 2019.

This is correct, but AFAIK its only for the Evinrudes. Im sure others may have done it as well.

As a cost saving move, Evinrude produced a single engine for both the 9.9 and 15hp units. Literally the only difference between the two is the carb. You can switch a 1970s-80s Evinrude 9.9 to a 15 simply by installing a 15hp carb. (and VV if you are crazy) EVERYTHING is the same between the two engines. (except maybe the prop due to pitch differences?)

Which probably explains why there are still so many 40+yo 9.9s out there. They last forever because you cant get them up to full RPMs! Its like all of us 9.9 owners are driving them like a little old lady to and from church only. We cant possibly overload the engine and wear it out. :):

I actually started to buy a 15hp carb for mine. Then during checkout I realized I didnt NEED it, and I'd only be harming the motor's longevity. So I abandoned that project.

And somebody else mentioned sticker swaps, etc. If you did the carb swap (and prop swap (presumably) to have the right pitch), the likelihood that you'd have a ranger smart and thorough enough to bust you is highly unlikely. They'd have to be able to know the difference between the carbs and the correct prop pitch. And I dont see that much detail paid to it unless there was a fatality investigation. (or maybe a complaint from a well connected sailboat owner because you were hotrodding)
    Suzuki does that with their current 9.9/15/20hp EFIs.... pretty sweet little outboards.

Top Bottom