• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDpolo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 12, 2018
    Zionsville
    Injess - thank you for the chart. I've seen it before. What had me puzzled is the lack of markings anywhere on the pistol (serial number being the only marking on the pistol).

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks again indykid. I’m considering selling it. Is $700 a fair price?

That pistol appears to be in great condition, and one you don't find everyday. I would say $700 is a fair starting point. Although it would be a great shooter, being an early 92 and one of the few that Beretta made in their Brazil factory, I would hope it will become more of a show piece.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have to add that at some point Beretta did start marking their Brazil pistols with either just the word "Brazil" or "Made in Brazil". Some were marked in plain sight, but some were marked under the grip panels. To the others reading this, that is why the OP removed the grips, to check for other markings as I asked. Obviously there are none. Just one of the many variations that Beretta seems to be famous for.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Q: Did they reset the serial numbers during production?

This is a Berden import with export marks on frame. Serial number starts with "B" but ends with "Z" and is in the low 1200's. So it sounds like the 4th type of early production but has such a low serial number...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I can't answer the strange issues with serial numbers. Berben appeared to be a contraction of Beretta and Benelli which was owned by Beretta.

I have two of the original straight side 92, one like that in the above photos and one with the standard importation markings.

The one with no markings on the side, no import stamp or export proofs has a 5 digit serial number with no letters. I was told by a Beretta rep that this was probably a demo model brought from Italy to be shown to the Brazilians. He was surprised to find that I owned it.

The second has the full import markings of the Beretta Corperation of Gardone VT, Made in Italy, with the import markings of Berben Corperation, NY,NY. It has full proof marks. The serial number starts with B followed by 5 numbers and ends with a Z. I find that funny because the Z currently indicates an Italian made bare frame exported to another country, usually the USA then be assembled into a pistol as they currently do with the current 92FS series pistols and versions thereof.

This gets really strange because I also have a step-side version which was considered the number one build of the 92. It has the same markings as my number two straight side. An obvious export model.

And as we have seen in this thread, a third version with no markings but a 4 digit number with the B and Z lettering.

You now show a 4th version of the straight side with full import markings but with the 4 numbers plus 2 letters. As to the number, it is possible that Beretta of Italy started from B0001Z the same as Brazil without ever expecting the two to cross paths. I have heard of other manufacturers long ago accidentally doing this resulting in two legal firearms having the same serial number. Crazy?

With the straight side versions I am guessing they made the 92 in Brazil per a contract with their military and/or police. After the contract was canceled they must have opened the door for export from Brazil. Somehow some got into the USA with no importation or manufacture markings, some did.

They made the second version in Italy for export. This had all the standard modern markings of the importer, the USA arm of the manufacture and export proofs.

Confusing? You bet!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I went and bought the thing today, well traded for it.

It is an Italian made 92, but it has the step side slide. i thought that was a Brazilian thing, but I guess not.
    Plain factory grips, no logo. Factory mag with metal bottom plate and an alloy follower. How common is that?

Gotta clean it and then i will post pics.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Step side is the most sought after of the standard production 92 series. Current thought is that at most 7000 were made and unknown how many of those were brought into the land of shall not be infringed. Plain factory grips were correct.

Looking forward to pictures. Will post a couple of mine in a few minutes.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There were three grip panels available from what I have found. One plain, no Beretta logo but similar to the Logo grips on mine. Wood was also available.

attachment.php

Not the original box.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I can't believe you paid $345 for that!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Fairly rare piece of the nearing 500 years of Beretta.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It is tight as a tick, some color loss on the rails but still tight.

Have you seen a mag with an alloy follower? It is nice, easiest loading 15 shot I have had. All my others are poly and I don't know how rare this one is.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Do you know where I can find original grips?

I haven't seen original grips for sale in over 10 if not 15 years. Hate to recommend them, but you might check Ebay. Long long time ago I saw a set listed and was too slow in deciding to buy them.

Gunbroker would be another place to keep an eye on. They are nearly impossible to find because when people removed them to install the rubber Pachmayr grips, most never kept them. While I can't imagine throwing firearm parts away, them getting lost over time is most likely.

Top Bottom