• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKMSU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    Westfield
    How did I miss this thread so far. I have a thing for old Beretta 92's.

Clockwise from bottom left. 92 step slide, 92SB, 92S, 92 Italian made.

ber.jpg

Kevinv428

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2020
    youngstown
    I just picked up an early Beretta 92. Not knowing about them until I got home and started researching them. What I have is a step down slide 92 with the heel magazine release. Under 1000 serial number. In like brand new condition. No box came with it. Got a great deal because the shop owner probably didnt know about the early version.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group Kevinv428!

Congrats on a great find. Yes the step-side slide is a very collectible pistol, and hard to find in like new condition. Not surprised it doesn't have the original box as they were cardboard and were easily damaged. Also easier to throw out a cardboard box than a plastic one, although newer Berettas have cardboard sleeves around the plastic carry case.

SucraC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2022
    surrounded by palmetto bugs
    sorry to revive this old thread, but was wondering if these numbers on the early 92's, particularly the brazilians, ever got more specific. the first generation 92 is generally listed as about 52k, with between 6-7k step sides, leaving about 45k 92 straight sides before the 92S and later versions, and not all of those being made in brazil. i only see "a big order" for the brazilian 92's as the reason why the plant was built in sao paolo, but even if most of the 45k straight side 92's were made in brazil, is 40-something-k pistols over 6 years (74'-'80?) the big order that keeps being mentioned as the justification to set up shop in brazil? that's about 7k pistols a year, for a pretty big country. was it a small shop or a real factory? maybe the brazilian beretta 92's are not counted in the 45k straight side total? i realize taurus kept the 92 ball rolling in brazil after that, but the beretta math doesn't seem to match the story.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    SucraC, trying to understand Beretta can drive you crazy. As you can tell from my early replys, they were not the best with early record keeping. My discussions with them indicate that there are no records of the true number of early 92 series pistols. How and why they didn't keep records only the family knows.

With the Brazil plant, as with the ones in the USA, Brazil military could only buy in country produced firearms. The same with USA military, hence the M9 version of the 92FS.

With the Brazil up and running, Beretta sold their made in house versions. A similar thing happened with the M9. When the USA stopped buying M9s, Beretta started producing the M9 model in-house in Italy so you now can find USA and Italy made M9s.

SucraC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2022
    surrounded by palmetto bugs
    yup, i have an italian govt surplus 92S that, aside from the worn finish, is in very good shape with barrel and frame matching serials. must have been a police issue just used for qualifying to survive in that condition.

colt serials can be even more baffling, sometimes, especially when they took frames that sat on the shelf for years and mated them with different size/series slides and dressed them with standard features from a later generation. the colt serials can often be decoded, though, and as far as the garands, 1903's, m1911's, and military surplus, there are so many enthusiasts who track every detail. sometimes forums like this are the only way people can make sense out of the chaos.

did the US military ever sell surplus M9's? i know CMP occasionally releases batches of M1911's and M1911A1's to go with all the old surplus rifles. military M9's might be too beat up to sell at any price, though, and maybe they gave them to friendly countries, already.

Top Bottom