• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I just heard the tail end of an interview on Hannity's radio show. The very end. He was interviewing an anonymous scientist with documented (by Hannity's staff) credentials who apparently felt it is a dire situation for us.

There was reference made about the CDC being tight lipped or incompetent if they call this Ebola; that it's something else. I'm sorry to post this snippet but my hope is someone caught it all and can enlighten me/us.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I here places are already drying up on the supplies front. I started weeks ago but moneys been tight so I am honestly not even close to what I want for this situation. Finally though it looks like the misses is on board but it may be to late to get what we need.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    BTW, even though, in a sense, ebola is no longer "on the horizon," I like the poetic description of the title as a reference to the outbreak in West Africa. It makes sense to continue this thread as updates on the foreign developments. In a very real sense, it is a matter of survival over there.

We would do well, I think, to learn from their experiences as much as we can.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Article describing conditions in Sierra Leone:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/world/africa/ebola-spreading-in-west-africa.html?_r=0

WARNING: The article has some graphic, heart-wrenching descriptions. A tame portion:
    There is no Ebola treatment center here and the patients, some of them critically ill, must be taken eight hours over bad dirt roads to the one operated by Doctors Without Borders in Kailahun — that is, when space is available there. Some die on the way. At least 90 people already have died in the district, health officials say — a figure far in excess of what the government in the capital has reported for Bombali. Yet the World Health Organization and others are still relying on Sierra Leone government statistics that appear to seriously undercount the number of victims.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I here places are already drying up on the supplies front. I started weeks ago but moneys been tight so I am honestly not even close to what I want for this situation. Finally though it looks like the misses is on board but it may be to late to get what we need.

I think I might run out to Sam's and stock up on water and then get some food like cereal and whatever else I can store away for now. There was an article where someone had a screen grab from Amazon.com. Tyvek suit sales were up over 100,000%! Some people are going all out, but the reality is the only thing to really do is shelter-in-place and let it burn itself out, which means those who have it get treatment (if nurses and doctors show up at the hospital) and some survive or whoever doesn't have a natural immunity dies off within a short time span. The downside is that if it is something really bad, everyone in the country is basically screwed. All the nuke plants will likely meltdown, as I hear getting the reactors cooled down isn't as simple as pushing a button to drop the control rods and walking away. The only non-food/water item that one might think about stocking up on are face masks, not necessarily to block the virus, but to keep yourself from touching your face. Hand sanitizer would be a good thing as well, though the best and only sure fire way to stop the spread would be at least a sixty day shelter-in-place exercise, but if everyone shelters in place, electricity goes out, natural gas stops flowing, no food is delivered, most people in hospitals die from no one around to treat them, etc..

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    My wife has always regarded my stocking of food and emergency supplies as Ok, but at least slightly silly. She's changed her mind completely because Ebola has always scared the :poop: out of her.

All stocked up and ready to shelter indefinitely.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    All the nuke plants will likely meltdown, as I hear getting the reactors cooled down isn't as simple as pushing a button to drop the control rods and walking away.

Always heard the real struggle with nuclear reactors was keeping them from shutting themselves down. Any glow worms in here? Just read the other day that hand sanitizer won't kill it. Somehow it may make surfaces less hospitable for the virus though.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I wonder.....why isn't there a movement in this country to ban travel to/from the stricken areas? I'd say we should collectively start raising our voices, but we're gun people and therefore crazy in the eyes of the gubmint already.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Just got back from a shopping trip. There are plenty of face mask at Home Depot and Harbor Freight. Sam's Club has tons of water, cereal, vitamins, and hand sanitizer. Same for Walmart. If one wants to stock-up, do it now. If things get bad and people shelter-in-place for as long as they can, I think it will burn itself out.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    New numbers compiled from WHO and country-specific reporting as of October 1 for Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia: 7492 cases, 3439 deaths.

Average daily reporting continues to subside. Hopefully that means good news about containment/burning itself out.

Deaths continue to increase at a slower rate than cases, so they're getting ahead of the mortality, it looks like.

Still looking to get to nearly 14k cases in 30 days. At least that's not getting worse.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Honestly I think we will be in mashall law somewhere in this country in the next 30days. I honestly believe its not contained in texas and I suspect its on purpose. We all know mashall law will involve grabbing guns. I do not see that going over well at all. Something just feels so wrong about the whole thing.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I am concerned it will burn into other countries in Africa. The rich from those countries will come here when they think they are sick. That will make things interesting.

if you can stock up on 95's or 100 masks get the orders in early. Hospitals are ordering gear like crazy and tyvek coveralls are hot selling right now.

Three or four clusters are very possible by the end of the month. If they are small outbreaks we can deal with them. But if the same screwups happen like Dallas, things will get interesting fast,

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Actually, the Marshall Plan distributed firearms to people who desperately needed them at the time.

But I don't think that's what we're talking about.

@longbow - I'm curious why you say 3-4 clusters are possible by the end of the month? Nigeria and Senegal dealt with similar situations very effectively, with fewer resources available (supposedly).

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Actually, the Marshall Plan distributed firearms to people who desperately needed them at the time.

But I don't think that's what we're talking about.

@longbow - I'm curious why you say 3-4 clusters are possible by the end of the month? Nigeria and Senegal dealt with similar situations very effectively, with fewer resources available (supposedly).

Roughly 20,000 people will come to the US from that region in the next month. Since we are not stopping travel, four infected persons is not out of bounds

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield
    When the latest outbreak of ebola started making news people started asking why there had not been more of an effort to find a cure. The drug company's responded by saying that there was not enough interest or money to be made. Now that ebola is on our soil and a good chance that more will show up in our troops, open border, or a direct flight from Africa I would bet that ebola research will now be very profitable. The people on top know how well fear works to control our emotions. This is all speculation but it just seems to work out too well for the gov and big pharma for me to trust that it happened by accident.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Roughly 20,000 people will come to the US from that region in the next month. Since we are not stopping travel, four infected persons is not out of bounds

Even if that number is true (and I'm not sure that it is), we had roughly 3 months (July-September) with only 1 (known) patient getting in. So, if that rate holds, it will be a year before we get to 4.

Now, I'm not denying the "possibility" of more. Heck, there might be 3-4 (or more) here, now. Importantly, though, other population centers - Europe, S. America, Asia - have not reported an infections. Plus, the escapee outbreaks in Nigeria and Senegal have been controlled.

In this context, I am kinda a data guy. Let's make decisions based on available information, with some healthy skepticism.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom