• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    A buddy of mine had me over tonight. He got out his Ed Brown Kobra and asked if I would be willing to show him how to field strip it. :D Of course I made the sacrifice for my friend. Interesting comparison to my 1911(S&W).

1) My has full length guide rod and the Ed Brown had a short guide rod. I know some prefer one over the other. I wonder if other custom 1911s tend to have short guide rod. Any feedback on this would be cool, please.

2) The Ed Brown has an internal extractor and mine is external. I think the internal extractor is more aesthetic. I would imagine that it would help keep dirt and grime out.

3) Back to the guide rod, it was hollow. Not sure if this is common or not. Just thought it was interesting.

4) There was no firing pin plunger lever on the Ed Brown. Not sure if the firing pin plunger lever is just a S&W component or not.

5) Lots of little details on Ed Brown. It felt and looked very similar to mine, but if you look closely, the Ed Brown has been more "polished".

Here's a image of the model (not pic of actual pistol I fondled tonight).
    75003.jpg

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Most 1911's use an internal extractor. S&W and SIG are the only 2 who use the external. Just different, most folks think if it wasn't broke (original design) don't fix it....
    Ed Brown and other custom gun makers still abide by the 70 series design, which doesn't use a firing pin plunger, Colt used that on the 80 series.
    Full length guide rods have been shown to do nothing but be a major hassle when breaking the gun down. Once again, a fad.
    Front slide serrations also a fad. New guns coming out don't have them because, once again, not needed!
    I think it's great that the major manufacturers are going back to the original design of the 1911, clean lines and nothing that isn't 100% functional. Ruger and Remington, Auto-Ordnance and such are bringing back the original designs. Ed brown and Les Baer never left it!
    Enjoy your S&W, it is a quality weapon with a few touches, but the Ed Brown is a far superior pistol. But for a recreational shooter, they all put holes in the paper!
    (Be advised, all of the above is just my opinion, there will be someone along shortly who will contradict everything I just said, it's the nature of the 1911 beast! LOL)

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Most 1911's use an internal extractor. S&W and SIG are the only 2 who use the external. Just different, most folks think if it wasn't broke (original design) don't fix it....
    Ed Brown and other custom gun makers still abide by the 70 series design, which doesn't use a firing pin plunger, Colt used that on the 80 series.
    Full length guide rods have been shown to do nothing but be a major hassle when breaking the gun down. Once again, a fad.
    Front slide serrations also a fad. New guns coming out don't have them because, once again, not needed!
    I think it's great that the major manufacturers are going back to the original design of the 1911, clean lines and nothing that isn't 100% functional. Ruger and Remington, Auto-Ordnance and such are bringing back the original designs. Ed brown and Les Baer never left it!
    Enjoy your S&W, it is a quality weapon with a few touches, but the Ed Brown is a far superior pistol. But for a recreational shooter, they all put holes in the paper!
    (Be advised, all of the above is just my opinion, there will be someone along shortly who will contradict everything I just said, it's the nature of the 1911 beast! LOL)
    Thank you for your wisdom. I have never had the privilege of working with such a fine firearm. I realize that it is superior to mine. There's no doubt. I would love to shoot it and experience "the feel" of the Ed Brown. Though it may spoil me too. Again that's for your input! I appreciate it.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Thank you for your wisdom. I have never had the privilege of working with such a fine firearm. I realize that it is superior to mine. There's no doubt. I would love to shoot it and experience "the feel" of the Ed Brown. Though it may spoil me too. Again that's for your input! I appreciate it.

There's one in the showcase in Hagerstown. Unless that is the one your buddy bought. :)

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Oh, ok. Sorry. I was not familiar with Hagerstown. I will have to look into Big Daddy's Gun's. I have been to Elmores (stomping grounds). If memory serves me right, my buddy ordered it.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I own 11 1911's. Colts, Springfields, Para's, Taurus and a Les Baer. I almost jumped on a Ed Brown Special Forces last year and passed on a greatly used Wilson CQB for $1500.
    I put short guide rods in all my guns, if they didn't come with it. I've got a bin full of full length guide rods sitting around here! About the only other thing I have ever changed out are the sights and an extended slide stop on my 9mm Springfield.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I own 11 1911's. Colts, Springfields, Para's, Taurus and a Les Baer. I almost jumped on a Ed Brown Special Forces last year and passed on a greatly used Wilson CQB for $1500.
    I put short guide rods in all my guns, if they didn't come with it. I've got a bin full of full length guide rods sitting around here! About the only other thing I have ever changed out are the sights and an extended slide stop on my 9mm Springfield.

Nice! 11 1911's? :bowdown:

I tend to leave things stock, particularly when it comes to functionality.

Have you ever had any issues with full-length guide rods? The only complaint I have ever heard is breakdown.

Also, what care would one need to take in purchasing a short guide rod, if they choose to do so?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Wilson CQB has GI guide rod......i only have one full rod gun of the 14 i have and it's a Fusion frame/Colt GCNM and the rod has mercury in it as a recoil damper....

2d0ayiu.jpg

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Two of my Wilson's came with full length guide rods, one came with the G.I. guide rod. My Norinco came with the two piece full length guide rod. I'm ambivalent, although the two piece setup is a bit of a pain in the ass.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    ^^. People get too wrapped around gear. Learn to use what you have. FLGR vs. "standard" -- who cares? I have plenty of both and really don't care. Spend your time training instead of analyzing/replacing stuff that doesn't matter.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    ^^. People get too wrapped around gear. Learn to use what you have. FLGR vs. "standard" -- who cares? I have plenty of both and really don't care. Spend your time training instead of analyzing/replacing stuff that doesn't matter.

Freakin' A to that. :yesway:

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    A buddy of mine had me over tonight. He got out his Ed Brown Kobra and asked if I would be willing to show him how to field strip it. :D Of course I made the sacrifice for my friend. Interesting comparison to my 1911(S&W).

1) My has full length guide rod and the Ed Brown had a short guide rod. I know some prefer one over the other. I wonder if other custom 1911s tend to have short guide rod. Any feedback on this would be cool, please.

2) The Ed Brown has an internal extractor and mine is external. I think the internal extractor is more aesthetic. I would imagine that it would help keep dirt and grime out.

3) Back to the guide rod, it was hollow. Not sure if this is common or not. Just thought it was interesting.

4) There was no firing pin plunger lever on the Ed Brown. Not sure if the firing pin plunger lever is just a S&W component or not.

5) Lots of little details on Ed Brown. It felt and looked very similar to mine, but if you look closely, the Ed Brown has been more "polished".

Here's a image of the model (not pic of actual pistol I fondled tonight).
    75003.jpg

My Rock Island 1911 Commander has an external extractor as well. Thats a beautiful piece :)

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Nice! 11 1911's? :bowdown:

I tend to leave things stock, particularly when it comes to functionality.

Have you ever had any issues with full-length guide rods? The only complaint I have ever heard is breakdown.

Also, what care would one need to take in purchasing a short guide rod, if they choose to do so?

If you want to change to a standard system Elmores should have a standard recoil spring guide and plug on hand.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood

I am not too concerned and I have been training. I got the pistol a couple of months ago and have just over 400 rounds through it. Plus, in previous post, I stated that I like to leave stuff stock.

If you don't care, then why did you take time to post?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I am not too concerned and I have been training. I got the pistol a couple of months ago and have just over 400 rounds through it. Plus, in previous post, I stated that I like to leave stuff stock.

If you don't care, then why did you take time to post?

Because I care about YOU, man. Really, I do.

But here's another interesting notion -- perhaps, just MAYBE, someone else might read this someday, someone who's interested in the subject and trying to decide whether he/she should spend the kids' lunch money on the OTHER type of guide rod, because he read on the internet that the kind he has sucks and he just HAS to have the OTHER kind. Perhaps his kids will avoid going hungry because some other random stranger on the internet said it doesn't matter, don't worry about it, keep what you have.

I know, nobody ever searches before posting, but I have a dream.

Top Bottom