• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Because I care about YOU, man. Really, I do.

But here's another interesting notion -- perhaps, just MAYBE, someone else might read this someday, someone who's interested in the subject and trying to decide whether he/she should spend the kids' lunch money on the OTHER type of guide rod, because he read on the internet that the kind he has sucks and he just HAS to have the OTHER kind. Perhaps his kids will avoid going hungry because some other random stranger on the internet said it doesn't matter, don't worry about it, keep what you have.

I know, nobody ever searches before posting, but I have a dream.

Fair enough.

I have not been a 1911 owner for very long. In fact, I posted this a few weeks ago:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/291416-1911_questions.html

So, I am still learning (green). When I saw all the posts about short guide rods, it peaked my interest.

efpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    I prefer the short guide rod, just because takedown is easier.
    Never had a 1911 with an external extractor, so I can't really comment.
    Sig used to have hollow guide rods, so I think those are not unusual, but I've never seen one of a 1911. (Sig ships plastic guide rods now...ick)
    The plunger is for the internal safety. EB does not have an internal safety.
    I haven't had an opportunity to shoot a S&W 1911. I will say I love my Browns! Followed by Springers. I don't have any Colts left in the stable, and I'm on the verge of selling my Baer.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I just don't care for the full length as it serves no purpose other than to "be cool". I find they are harder to take down and don't give any better accuracy. Another problem is you cant field strip the gun without tools usually....
    All you need to convert yours is a standard recoil spring guide (the original short one), a new recoil spring (18# is usually good) and a recoil spring "plug". All parts can be found on Midway's web site, or if you wanna go cheap, hit up CDNN sports for surplus 1911 parts.

Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

If you wanted to go all high class, buy the required parts from Ed Brown or Les Baer or Wilson...they sell them too!

ErickB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Schererville
    By full length-guide rod, you aren't referring to non-bushing guns (cone barrels) are you? Forgive me if I'm way off base :). I have a Smith 1911 as well.

Also, not to hijack the thread, but what is the primary difference between Ed Brown and Les Baer? Are they on par, or does one have better fit and finish than the other? From what little I know, Wilsons are supposed to be all about function and extreme durability, correct? I know they cost a bleeding arm and a leg :):.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    By full length-guide rod, you aren't referring to non-bushing guns (cone barrels) are you? Forgive me if I'm way off base :). I have a Smith 1911 as well.

Also, not to hijack the thread, but what is the primary difference between Ed Brown and Les Baer? Are they on par, or does one have better fit and finish than the other? From what little I know, Wilsons are supposed to be all about function and extreme durability, correct? I know they cost a bleeding arm and a leg :):.
    Bull barrel is a completely different animal.

FLGR's provide nothing but a headache, and a surface for carbon to attract and gum up the recoil spring. The 2 piece is the way to go unless it's just a range toy.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have a 1911 with the "recoil master" setup in in it but other than that none of them have the FLGR.. Had one at one point but converted it to the standard setup. Just my preference.. I also remove ambi safetys because I don't care for them either.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck

Les Baer is known for making a super-tight, super-reliable, super-accurate basic 1911. His base model, the Premier II, starts at about $1700. If you go up a notch to the Ed Brown's they are just as reliable and better finished (same accuracy). Wilson is just out of his mind in my opinion...a bare bones, armor tuff finish, accurate 1911, but $2000 more than a Baer? The value is in the Baer, bragging rights for the "nicer" pistol goes to Brown and Wilson.

And if you've got "stupid money", then you can step up to the full out custom jobs.....Fusion, Volkmann, etc......We're talking $5,000 plus. My old Colt Government 1991A1 I bought for $500 back in the mid 90's will shoot just as accurate in my hands as a full out custom would.

ErickB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Schererville
    ^ Thanks for clearing that up. I've wondered the same about Wilson... I'm sure they are absolutely fantastic, but for that kind of money I would want, as one gentleman put it, "a blued finish so deep you can see your ancestors in it". :)

Been thinking about trading up to a Les Baer... but I don't think I even shoot .45 often enough to warrant it. Maybe in the future. :cool:

I've seen some pics of the LB's on 1911 forum with naked slides (No '.45 ACP' rollmark) and some very primo wood grips that looked stunning.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    A common misconception is that a gun has to be extremely tight to be accurate. What is required to reach the accuracy potential is consistent lock up of the critical components. Any tighter than zero movement is useless, and can only reduce reliability and detract from handling. It doesn't have to be tight, it just has to be right.

:dunno:

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Les Baer doesn't just make 1911s in .45, you can purchase one in .38 super as well. Brown and Baer both make beautiful pistols. When I was hunting for my 1911, I looked at brown, Baer, Wilson, nighthawk, Dan Wesson, sti and many others. I chose Baer for a reason, the baer had finer craftsmanship, i could look at it and tell that it was truly hand fit, every piece of the gun belonged Right where it was supposed to be. The brown was hand fitted and then grinded and polished to look pretty, it didnt feel like every piece was perfectly fitted together by hand, it felt like it was hand crafted to tolerances before it was paired up with the rest of the gun, i couldnt see or feel the custom fit, because they polished it off. Just my :twocents:. I'm not sure what you're shooting right now, but have you considered an STI pistol? Sti makes a very nice pistol for as little as 800 or as much as 4000. They build them in 9mm, .40 and .45 that I KNOW of. They could build them in other calibers as well.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Here's STI's web site:
    1911 Pistols « STI INTERNATIONAL
    And a pic of the $840 model:
    GI_1a.jpg

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    A common misconception is that a gun has to be extremely tight to be accurate. What is required to reach the accuracy potential is consistent lock up of the critical components. Any tighter than zero movement is useless, and can only reduce reliability and detract from handling. It doesn't have to be tight, it just has to be right.

:dunno:[/QUOTE:
    :yesway:
    That's a very accurate way to put that. I'm gonna stuff this in my back pocket for later if you don't mind?

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    It's a whole different ball game when you get to the Semi-Customs and Full House Customs. I have 5 1911s right now, and the Ed Brown is by far my favorite. Just picking it up you can tell it's a cut about the rest.

One of these days I'm going to add a Wilson Combat Supergrade and Les Baer to the collection.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I had a Baer Comanche Monolith and still have a Premiere II. It doesn't get shot that often, as I run multiple guns in several disciplines, but I know that when I do shoot it, any misses are my fault! LOL
    I think for the money, Baer is the best investment out there. But I wouldn't put big money into high dollar guns until you build yourself up to a level of competence where you can use the accuracy that they bring to the table. 15 years ago, I didn't shoot well enough to justify buying a semi-custom or custom pistol.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Sti is a good stepping stone into the "custom" world. They are extremely accurate pistols and they hold their value very well. I know people who have won competition after competition with sti pistols and wouldn't trade them for anything. But they don't own a Les Baer pistol either..

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

:dunno:[/QUOTE:
    :yesway:
    That's a very accurate way to put that. I'm gonna stuff this in my back pocket for later if you don't mind?
    I pulled it out of my pocket. :)

Top Bottom