• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My edc knives, to date, have been cheaper folders. (Kershaw Blackout, Chive; Spyderco Endura, Benchmade something, CKRT, etc.)

Is a fixed blade practical? I already have a pistol and a multitool on my belt, whats another accessory? I realize there is a stigma regarding carrying a fixed blade, but. . . :dunno:

What length would be appropriate? 3-4"? Uses are general; I have no training in edged combat nor am I an everyday survivalist. That said, it is time for me to step up to a HIGH Quality knife. RAT good enough or should I go higher? Custom route rewarding enough?

Want to stay under $300;)

Or should I forget the fixed and go with a ZT folder?:rolleyes:

:popcorn:

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    The Rat line of knives are all great knives,all well under your $300 limit.. I edc a ZT 0301 now,was an Emerson..!! It really depend on your needs for an edc. For my edc the ZT is awesome. But if you need something stronger, then a fixed blade might be better..!!! I would say a 3"-4" blade would do for a folder or fixed edc.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i edc a fixed blade multi tool and a zero tolerance. i like the fixed blade because even with no training in a stressed situation you can pull it out and its ready to go you don't have to worry about opening or anything.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    No disparagement taken. I've not budgeted my income enough to account for more higher dollar knives (read as: I'm poor). I certainly would love to jump into the Rat Group Buy and time is short on my decision but I'll probably pass this time around.

I love going to Smoky Mountain Knife works and holding a few several-hundred-dollar knives.

Let us know what you end up getting. If I ever decide to take the plunge in more expensive waters, it sounds like we have similar tastes and I can follow your advice/recommendation.

I rotate between a Sog Trident, Spyderco Native, and a small Kersaw assisted-opener.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    for under $300? that gives you a RANGE of a million models from a thousand makers!! i would suggest Tom Krein, Strider, Joe Brum, or a host of others! Tom Krein makes a fixed blade that is second to NONE.

and they are very practical to carry, a fixed blade. no stigma that i know of!

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I everyday carry a Fallkniven A1, and a SOG powerlock. the sheath for the A1 has Molle attachment on the front from which my SOG sheath is attached. It all rides pretty high which helps with concealing it. Both the sheaths were made by me.

I do my best to keep it covered because I have gotten some strange looks when people have seen it.

Is it practical? yes very. I'm naked without them they get used daily and the price was no where near $300

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    off the top of my head?

Strider MFS
    Les George Model 3
    David Mosier fixed blade... he has several in that price range
    Joe Brum WLS

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    off the top of my head?

Strider MFS Not a fan of paracord, just me
    Les George Model 3 Nice knives. . .
    David Mosier fixed blade... he has several in that price range This type is EXACTLY what I have in mind, but I cannot find a price sheet
    Joe Brum WLS Cannot find any information outside the "neck knife" with the skeletal handle

Thank you for the replies!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    brum isn't big time.... he just makes what he makes... no website.... you can find pics on various forums, like jerzee devil, USN, and a few others.......

tom kreins knives are as close to perfect as most anyone can make. he makes a few in the $200 range, with almost all falling under the $300 mark.

the MFS is a great do all knife. if you don't like the paracord (many don't) you can have someone install scales on it in a color of your choosing.... there are alot of really good guys who can do it.

if you are interested in Mosier knives, probly just give him a call. he is easy to take too... if you can understand his accent!! hahahahah!! just kidding, david... i can understand you just feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyen..... :) i think my small triant in s30v was around $220 or so about 5 years ago..... i miss that knife!!!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    more knives and makers to check out (i haven't listed any production knives. there are good ones, but a custom knife is a thing of pride, and one of the best tools you can own):

Bill Coye: Ridgeback
    Butch Harner
    Micheal Burch: DAO fixed blade
    Lucas Burnley: Kwaiken
    Ken Brock: Neck Beat and OTUK
    John Barker: Houndstooth
    Alan Foltz: Minimalist
    Eddie Baka
    David Curtiss: owns and operates Great Lake Water Jet and makes a fine, tough knife.
    Martin Olexey: POS line is very awesome! uh huh!

edit: bwhahahhaa!! i put martin olexey down as "POS" knives!!! bwahahaha!!! its his "FOS" line!!! bwahahaha!!! oops!

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    This is what I carry every day. I have some more expensive blades, but this one is what I like. It does a good job cutting up tasty animals, opening packages and various little tasks. It only cost about twenty bucks and I can't tell you how many deer it has cut up. I don't know if I would grab it to fight with since if I have my knife I always have my gun too.

picture.php

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    wow look at all those ppl cubby listed. such modesty that he didn't even bother to put his name in there. as i don't own one of his knives i very well plan to in the future. from what i can tell from this forum cubby is a very stand up guy and does great work. i am sure more will chime in here and let you know but since he didn't throw his name out there i will.

i will also post a solid for krein knives they are very solid and scary sharp. also a good guy.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Get an Izula or a Becker Necker and see if you will really edc it and if so and if you feel the need, then get a more expensive knife, I bet you will be happy with either of those.

Top Bottom