• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I think I want to start carrying a fixed blade every day, something big enough but not crazy if that makes sense. I've toyed with it a little before but nothing serious, always have a folder in my pocket. What's everyone carrying IWB these days? I saw the Gerber first strike looks ok, and the ESEE 3 I think? Opinions welcome! :D

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm going to say this: on a scale from 1-10, my knife knowledge is somewhere between 2.4 and 3.3. But if I were thinking an EDC fixed blade, an ESEE 3 or 4 would be on the short list. I've got a SOG Seal Pup attached to my FLC for my Army gear, but it's not in the same class. But stuff in the Army has a habit of growing legs too, and I'd hate to give someone an ESEE.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    An esee izula fits pretty good in my pocket. I've got the venom green one. I like it so far, I've been pretty rough on it and it has held up just fine.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think I want to start carrying a fixed blade every day, something big enough but not crazy if that makes sense. I've toyed with it a little before but nothing serious, always have a folder in my pocket. What's everyone carrying IWB these days? I saw the Gerber first strike looks ok, and the ESEE 3 I think? Opinions welcome! :D

ESEE 3 would be my choice. In fact, right now it's my favorite all around fixed blade.

It's small enough to wear as a neck knife, but large enough get work done. It's strong enough for most duty, but thin enough to get really sharp and slicey.

The price is right, especially from Knife Lady.

And they have a cool new version with a blackish G-10 grip. I want one.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    How do you plan on carrying it? Are you only going to IWB it? Are you going to expect it to slip into your pocket? Are you going to clip it to a belt? Leave it in your backpack or some sort of bag that you happen to carry?

What are you going to use it for? Personal defense? Opening mail? Batoning branches? Breaking down cardboard boxes? Camping? Mechanic work? Around fresh water or salt water? Dressing animals? Your use will dictate how big or small of a blade you need as well as material and blade thickness.

Can't really make a good recommendation until we know how you're going to carry it and what you're going to use it for.

For example, I carry an Esee Izula in a custom kydex sheath in my front pocket. If it was 1/2" longer, it'd definitely poke out of the top of my jeans pocket, and it wouldn't work for me. It's the perfect length for my pocket and works awesome for how I carry it and what I use it for. My use is mostly breaking down boxes, mechanical work, opening packages, cutting zip ties, etc... For that work, I don't want a long blade. I actually want a shorter blade so that it doesn't over penetrate and so it's more precise. A long blade is useful for some things, but would be unwieldy for what I do with my Izula.

Your experience may be different. You might hate the 2.8" blade if you want to baton stuff. Who knows? We haven't heard enough about how you're going to carry it, or what you're going to use it for.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    How do you plan on carrying it? Are you only going to IWB it? Are you going to expect it to slip into your pocket? Are you going to clip it to a belt? Leave it in your backpack or some sort of bag that you happen to carry?

What are you going to use it for? Personal defense? Opening mail? Batoning branches? Breaking down cardboard boxes? Camping? Mechanic work? Around fresh water or salt water? Dressing animals? Your use will dictate how big or small of a blade you need as well as material and blade thickness.

Can't really make a good recommendation until we know how you're going to carry it and what you're going to use it for.

For example, I carry an Esee Izula in a custom kydex sheath in my front pocket. If it was 1/2" longer, it'd definitely poke out of the top of my jeans pocket, and it wouldn't work for me. It's the perfect length for my pocket and works awesome for how I carry it and what I use it for. My use is mostly breaking down boxes, mechanical work, opening packages, cutting zip ties, etc... For that work, I don't want a long blade. I actually want a shorter blade so that it doesn't over penetrate and so it's more precise. A long blade is useful for some things, but would be unwieldy for what I do with my Izula.

Your experience may be different. You might hate the 2.8" blade if you want to baton stuff. Who knows? We haven't heard enough about how you're going to carry it, or what you're going to use it for.

IWB only, no pocket carry. And I plan on using it for all types of fun, cutting boxes open, plastic banding off skids, deer salami rolls at lunch, whatever I need! I already have a couple of larger blades for animal/camp work. This is just for EDC use. :)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'd say something between 3 and 4 inches for the blade and what ever handle you find comfortable should be a good fit. Just need to figure out how long of a knife you're comfortable IWBing.

Any of the ESEE's would be a nice choice. Their warranty is unbeatable as well.

Take a look at Bark River, Becker, Survive, Tops, White River, and Spyderco as well. There's other reasonably priced quality knives out there, that's just a short list to get you started. Maybe you'll find something you like even more than the ESEEs.

You might also take a look at some of the customs for sale on bladeforums.com. There's usually some really nice ones at very reasonable prices.

Just figure out what fits (both your budget and IWB).

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup. It's a great knife, and it'll handle a ton of abuse. It's just not long enough to baton through the thicker stuff. But I've got other tools for that...

I love my Izula. I even used it to baton some smaller pieces of firewood. It took it like a champ.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I carry a mixture on a rotation, Izula II, MSC SLCC, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, Shiv Works Clinch Pick, Gryphon M30 or M10, now maybe a Cold Steel Recon Tanto in Carbon V I got from Brad last 1500 as soon as I have a proper sheath molded for IWB for it!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    For fixed blades, I either carry one that Casey Bradshaw made for me or one I made for myself. There are a lot of good custom makers out there that make some really nice knives, some of them are here on INGO (and I don't mean me).

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My work is an office setting, so a fixed blade seems like overkill. As for around yard work, or off work type errands, I see a few, in my rural area. I think my USMC Kabar is alright around yard, but change to a folding Buck 100 if going to the grocery or local DQ for a bite. I have a couple of others, Cold Steel GI Tanto, V44 Marine Raider, even a copy of Fairbairn-Sykes Commando. Cool bades IMO, but a little "military" looking for around the big town.(pop 3500, and 13 dogs)

Summer work brings out the khaki shorts, WW2 Pith Helmet(was issued to my MOM- 1944 USMC, Camp LeJune), so the Kabar is on full duty! My new neighbor has a plywood target set up for throwing Tomahawks. Maybe a new option ......

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My work is an office setting, so a fixed blade seems like overkill. As for around yard work, or off work type errands, I see a few, in my rural area. I think my USMC Kabar is alright around yard, but change to a folding Buck 100 if going to the grocery or local DQ for a bite. I have a couple of others, Cold Steel GI Tanto, V44 Marine Raider, even a copy of Fairbairn-Sykes Commando. Cool bades IMO, but a little "military" looking for around the big town.(pop 3500, and 13 dogs)

Summer work brings out the khaki shorts, WW2 Pith Helmet(was issued to my MOM- 1944 USMC, Camp LeJune), so the Kabar is on full duty! My new neighbor has a plywood target set up for throwing Tomahawks. Maybe a new option ......

I do have my USMC Ka bar as well, along with several other larger fixed blades. Just wanted something smaller, I like a fixed blade better than a folder and iwb is easy to hide. :)

Top Bottom