• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I rack it, holster it, and go. I don't store a gun with a live round. My safety is the holster. And I don't take the time to top off every single time I go somewhere.

AmateurE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2017
    NWI
    Full +1 for years and years with all my pistols, never had a hiccup***,, revolvers, now that's another story...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The fun would have to be awefully dirty to not feed from a fully topped off magazine. Even my 1911's shooting single stack in USPSA run that way all the time with zero issues and if it's one thing I have learned from the internet is that my 1911's should be jamming no less than every other shot :rolleyes:
    You’re still a little boy, the fun being dirty is still ok. She’ll feed on anything.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Has anybody posted full mag +1? :D Smaller caliber semis can have issues feeding full mag +1. I know the Taurus PT-22 (a BUG's BUG, I know) won't feed full mag +1. Not topped off it runs fine. Seems like I heard the same thing about the PPK-S.
    Ok Kelly, time for the grownups to talk! Let’s talk about a Taurus in a serious thread, SAID NO ONE EVER!;)

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I always top off.

I have heard of not topping off before, but for a different reason. Basically the rationale was they knew the magazine would feed, so they didn’t want to reseat the magazine because they didn’t know if it would feed again. That reason sounded even more out there.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So as not to continue adding to the dog pile, I have seen more then one gun not work loaded chamber with full mag (+1). AND in those situations the gun ran just fine when locking the slide back then inserting a fully loaded magazine and chambering the gun. I have an AR9 like this and 9mm 1911s are notorious for this as well. In both cases it is specific and can be cured by using different magazines. I have also seen guns not chamber the last round in a magazine. This is most likely due to a weak magazine spring.

Glocks, Walthers, M&P, XDs, H&K, P320s ......... all work fine +1. Buy a main stream name brand popular model and run with it. Buy a new magazine every now and then and keep your mags clean and fresh.

As as far as the “heard it at the LGS” crowd. To be fair I see a more stupid advice and opinions given on INGO then I do at my LGS. That is not to say the LGS is a better place for advice, but there are a lot more people posting on INGO.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Let me be clear, I posted this as a discussion piece. Not to convince anyone of one way is better than the other. Like I said in my original post, I understand their rationale but don't buy into it. If that's their preference then so be it. I know we hear about "lgs talk" here on ingo. This was not a dig on LGS employees either.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As always, no matter how one carries or what equipment they choose, they should train with those same parameters/conditions as much as possible and make informed decisions based on that experience.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So as not to continue adding to the dog pile, I have seen more then one gun not work loaded chamber with full mag (+1). AND in those situations the gun ran just fine when locking the slide back then inserting a fully loaded magazine and chambering the gun. I have an AR9 like this and 9mm 1911s are notorious for this as well. In both cases it is specific and can be cured by using different magazines. I have also seen guns not chamber the last round in a magazine. This is most likely due to a weak magazine spring.

Glocks, Walthers, M&P, XDs, H&K, P320s ......... all work fine +1. Buy a main stream name brand popular model and run with it. Buy a new magazine every now and then and keep your mags clean and fresh.

As as far as the “heard it at the LGS” crowd. To be fair I see a more stupid advice and opinions given on INGO then I do at my LGS. That is not to say the LGS is a better place for advice, but there are a lot more people posting on INGO.

So sometimes it might not be a good idea to top off? And just because you're in the minority doesn't mean you're doing it the wrong way?

Let me be clear, I posted this as a discussion piece. Not to convince anyone of one way is better than the other. Like I said in my original post, I understand their rationale but don't buy into it. If that's their preference then so be it. I know we hear about "lgs talk" here on ingo. This was not a dig on LGS employees either.

It is a great discussion topic. I don't think that was anything personal.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I rack it, holster it, and go. I don't store a gun with a live round. My safety is the holster. And I don't take the time to top off every single time I go somewhere.

My EDC is stored with a round.
    Seems to me, constant loading/unloading adds unnecessary danger.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So sometimes it might not be a good idea to top off? And just because you're in the minority doesn't mean you're doing it the wrong way?

Are you asking as part of the discussion or with a hint of sarcasm? If a handgun will not run +1 I would: 1) not carry that gun or 2) figure out why the gun is not working properly. As an example in the case of a 9mm 1911 with a 10 round magazine that would mean purchasing a newer Wilson ETM with metal follower or a Chip 9XP magazine. It might also mean using a quality 9 round flush fit magazine. The same comparison could be made with 7 vs 8 round .45. I wouldn’t recommend the 1911 platform in general unless a person is willing to put in the time and effort. This really has less to do with “topping off” and more about putting in the time to know your gun.

There are some “lesser” quality handguns that might not feed +1. Ammo and range time is expensive, probably more cost then the initial gun purchase. If a person lacks the resources to invest in time, ammo or equipment I would not think it would bad advice to not Barney up. Notice how I am trying to be polite and politically correct. Basically if you don’t know your gun then don’t drink with it more then you need.

Being in the minority does not make someone wrong.

I never unload my handguns. My carry guns are +1. They go from holster to safe and back again. I also press check my guns then holster. I am sure we could start a whole other thread about that as well.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've not heard of this for reliability reasons, but for convenience reasons. It gives them a place to put the chambered round when they unload it for whatever reason. I don't really like that idea, damaged case rims, bullet setback, etc. I guess if you check your ammo everyday and rotate out the bad rounds, and think it's a good idea to store your carry gun unloaded.

Top Bottom