• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I release the mag after the hot gun is holstered, top it off, reinsert the mag. Tug to check that it's seated. I use G-Code RTI belt slides and holster adapters so never need to remove the gun from the holster when I get home. Just a different way to do things. :ingo:

That's exactly what I do!

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I release the mag after the hot gun is holstered, top it off, reinsert the mag. Tug to check that it's seated. I use G-Code RTI belt slides and holster adapters so never need to remove the gun from the holster when I get home. Just a different way to do things. :ingo:

That's a good idea, I'm going to have to try that method and see if it works for me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I put the chambered round back in the mag. That's a good point about setback. I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

In addition to bullet setback, which is visible and measurable, it can also cause the primer compound to be battered out of the primer cup. That, of course, results in a dead round. How many times it takes varies based on both ammunition and on weapon design. It's *probably* going to take dozens of times, but there's no visible inspection that can catch it and no external measurement that shows it. I personally chuck a round after 5x. You can stretch the ammo life by rotating in your mag so you aren't always loading the top round over and over, which is what I do with my AR (which is a weapon type that definitely batters the primer a little each time you chamber).

No, I carry in "minus one" simply because I'm convinced that handling a hot weapon without a safety is inherently risky, and that once I chamber, it goes into the holster. I'm not interested in handling it more just to get one more round.

So, yeah my belief in the enhanced safety of not topping off is likely irrational and at least debatable. But certainly no less of either than belief that 15 rounds won't be enough but 16 will.

You're likely aware that I don't assign much importance to capacity, particularly at that level, so I agree with your overall point. That said, you don't have to handle a gun to top it off unless your holster covers your magazine ejection button, and it shouldn't since that's a good way to get your magazine ejected when you didn't want it to be. Holster, eject mag, top off, reinsert mag.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

Similar here as I use a Raven concealment vanguard minimalist. The trigger is never exposed during any manipulations of checks of status. If I need to unload for cleaning and re-oil then I take mag out and remove chambered round then take off the minimalist holster.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    This could come from the 60's and the Brits and their Browning HP's. If memory is right the SAS only loaded 12 in the mags per HQ rules.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I only use the 8 round mags in my Shield 9mms. I NEVER manually dump the round in the chamber. This avoids all setback issues and administrative mistakes involving unloading. When I'm preparing for a range trip I drop the magazine. I then manually unload those expensive 124 +P HST rounds. Then I load up all 13 of my magazines with 124 grain ball. One goes back into the gun and the other 12 go in my range bag. The loaded gun goes in a soft rug and then into the range bag. I have three Shields (two are 1.0 and my favorite is 2.0). I don't generally carry/holster a dirty gun...so I have a clean one to keep on my hip, one to shoot that session and one to leave at home so the wife isn't defenseless on the rare days she doesn't go with me.

At the range that chambered HST is the first downrange. When I get home I clean the dirty gun. I load it back up thusly:

Load ONE HST from a new box into an empty mag.

Load that round into the chamber.

Load up the previously extracted 8 rounds back into the mag

Insert the loaded mag

This system insures I shoot at least ONE HST every range trip and gradually cycle through all my carry ammo over time.

And YES I do have some mild OCD. It used to be MUCH worse but I got it under control. And that's a Good Thing as I have literally worn out combo locks at my previous job pulling on them to "Make Sure" they were locked. I also used to have to periodically tighten the screws on door knobs for the same reason. I only added this info because I really hate how so many people throw around the term OCD casually just because they have a single odd habit or compulsion.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just shoot the carry round that is in the chamber when I switch to FMJ for a match, a class, or other shooting.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

You're likely aware that I don't assign much importance to capacity, particularly at that level, so I agree with your overall point. That said, you don't have to handle a gun to top it off unless your holster covers your magazine ejection button, and it shouldn't since that's a good way to get your magazine ejected when you didn't want it to be. Holster, eject mag, top off, reinsert mag.

Fair point, I just find mag jockeying without the gun in hand to be awkward enough that it outweighs the extra round.

If it was a 1911 with only 7 in the mag, I'd probably feel differently and place more emphasis on having that missing round be present.

Top Bottom