EDC watches: Are you guys still wearing those and what do you wear?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, I know. That is why I also wear this one.

glgInJv.jpg

Ok. That's better. What about durability? And accuracy? Is it atomic? I might just forget about the dual analog/digital requirement if it's atomic.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm not so sure about it being atomic but my doctor thinks it might be the source of my lead and mercury poisoning. As far as durability, I order them by the gross straight from China. Still cheaper than 3 Weekenders or one of the cheaper G Shocks.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Luminox A.1921.BO here: Land | Luminox

I've been looking at these for a while now. I really like the idea of the tritium. I don't know much about watches, and have not worn one in probably 30 years, but I think I'd like something simple (I don't even know what most of the features I read on watches these days do, nor what all the dials on the exterior of the crystal do), easy to see at night and that does not draw a lot of attention.

How do you like it?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I have several watches, starting from a couple '$2 beaters' and up.

But one stands out. An old Seiko LCD digital I've had for, roughly, 38 years, and in almost 4 decades, I've need to replace the battery only half a dozen times. It looks like it's 'been through the war' (but still 'acceptable' for EDC), wore it through my entire LE career, and still keeps time to within about 5 seconds per year. And 95%+ of the gold plating is still intact, though scratched.

IIRC, it was about $300 or so when I bought it. So, I can at least attest to the longevity of Seiko!

Have cheaper watches, and more expensive, but I heartily endorse Seiko as being 'bullet proof'.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That's sweet. I reckon there's a backlight, though. I'd fear for myself if I didn't know what day it was. Wait, that's happened. I did fear for myself, though.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I wear a Vostok Amphibia. They were the standard Soviet issue special forces watch. Think of them as the AK-47's of the mechanical watch world. They are incredibly durable, don't need winding if you wear them every few days, and are cheap. They make tons of varieties for around $70. The best part is how customizable they are. You can buy new bezels and replace the bands easily. They're also waterproof to extreme depths. As you can see from my pics, they also glow pretty well. This is a 100 series Amphibia with a silicone replacement band.

Meranom Store - Vostok Watches - ???? ?????? Meranom.com

20140905_203119.jpg

20140905_203159.jpg

20140905_202628.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I saw this one in the store today.

Solar, atomic time, all black with black stainless steel body.

awgm100b-1a_xlarge.jpg

How about this one ? Looks like it's the same thing with a more contrasty dial. $150. I may have found my next watch if this one ever dies or is broken or lost in a tragic boating accident.

p153494b.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That is a handsome watch. But I bet you can't see what day it is at night. I like it though.

I happened to visit my local watch store when the Casio salesperson was also visiting the store.
    I told him all I wanted in a watch (tough, atomic time, both analog and digital, dark colors etc) and that's the model he showed me.
    He also told me I should go with a solar as well since it can be expensive to change the battery on a G-Shock as they are waterproof.They need to change the seals and stuff.

Not sure how easy to see the LCD screens at night.I know there is a built in red LED to see the time.

745090d1340483833-just-got-my-awgm100b-1acr-looks-cool-g-shock_awg100b-1a_3.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    How much is something like that?

$150

How about this one ? Looks like it's the same thing with a more contrasty dial. $150. I may have found my next watch if this one ever dies or is broken or lost in a tragic boating accident.

p153494b.jpg

Yep, same fonctions and price.
    I like both.
    Just one is all black.Even the LCD is negative on the black version which is a nice touch I think.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Pretty sure this is my next watch.

INGO group buy? :): :rockwoot:

I didn't see it in person but the store ordered it so I could get a look at it later in person.
    I just saw it on a catalogue but at a 1:1 scale (wich is not the case of all the pics you can find online).
    I was affraid it would be a huge watch, some of the G-Shocks are huge, but it's the same size as my current watch.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    $150

Yep, same fonctions and price.
    I like both.
    Just one is all black.Even the LCD is negative on the black version which is a nice touch I think.

The photo with the light is just like my current G-SHOCK. Can't read the LCD at all in the dark even with the lamp on.

I like the looks of the all black more, but the "negative" LCD, even though it looks better, is really hard to see unless you're in direct light. I have a reading light on right now and I can't read the LCD on my watch. I think that one would be the same way. So if I do buy another watch at some point I'm going with more contrast even though I like the looks of the all black better.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    INGO group buy? :): :rockwoot:

I didn't see it in person but the store ordered it so I could get a look at it later in person.
    I just saw it on a catalogue but at a 1:1 scale (wich is not the case of all the pics you can find online).
    I was affraid it would be a huge watch, some of the G-Shocks are huge, but it's the same size as my current watch.

Mine's huge, which I like so I don't have to use my bifocals to see it. :)

Top Bottom