• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If I set my torque wrench at 100 foot pounds and then add a 2 foot extension, am I applying 200 foot pounds of torque to a lug nut?
    Actually the extension doesn't change anything in the scenario you used.
    I literally use a 20" 1/2" drive extension on my 1/2" torque wrench to torque lug nuts on my racing wheels all the time without losing any torque value. All you have to do is use a fancy torque wrench to torque a fastener then set it to read break away torque and you will see what I'm talking about.
    The only time the extension is really a factor is when you try to apply more torque than the extension can handle without turning into a torsion bar.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Actually the extension doesn't change anything in the scenario you used.
    I literally use a 20" 1/2" drive extension on my 1/2" torque wrench to torque lug nuts on my racing wheels all the time without losing any torque value. All you have to do is use a fancy torque wrench to torque a fastener then set it to read break away torque and you will see what I'm talking about.
    The only time the extension is really a factor is when you try to apply more torque than the extension can handle without turning into a torsion bar.
    I think his extension went a different way than your extension.

ETA; although I could definitely argue with this if applied to an impact driver scenario.
    When we’re busting nuts loose and we are using and extension on an impact and we have one that won’t move, if we can do anything to eliminate the extension it is much more likely to bust loose. That’s of course different than hand tightening.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think his extension went a different way than your extension.

ETA; although I could definitely argue with this if applied to an impact driver scenario.
    When we’re busting nuts loose and we are using and extension on an impact and we have one that won’t move, if we can do anything to eliminate the extension it is much more likely to bust loose. That’s of course different than hand tightening.
    100% agree with you on that. As you said that's different than hand tightening.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    if we can do anything to eliminate the extension it is much more likely to bust loose
    And this was part of my point.

Any extension that’s thinner or longer than it needs to be absorbs some of the torque you’re applying in the form of torsion and not all the torque makes it to the workpiece An extension turns into a torsion bar. Too much torsion for its thickness and length and it will snap.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    And this was part of my point.

Any extension that’s thinner or longer than it needs to be absorbs some of the torque you’re applying in the form of torsion and not all the torque makes it to the workpiece An extension turns into a torsion bar. Too much torsion for its thickness and length and it will snap.
    Well I agree with you on this post, but that’s different than the earlier posts, the way I read them.

I believe that the 1/4” impact driver can put out ‘x’ amount of torque, and I don’t think the torque on the crappy Milwaukee shank is any greater because PD is using a 1/2” drive whatever size socket to run some nuts down vs using a 1/4 driver, assuming peak torque is reached with either fastener.
    It’s the crappy Milwaukee shank that’s the problem. I don’t very often say harbor freight for the win, but there it is.

The torque from the impact driver doesn’t “grow” back to the shank just because the shank is turning a larger radius socket, if compared to a 1/4” nut reaching peak torque of the impact driver. They’re both peak torque, the Milwaukee can’t handle it either way. You just don’t see it very often screwing pole barn screws in or whatever.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    An extension doesn't affect torque.
    Well, it does on an impact.
    Snap On torque extensions are different thicknesses of spring steel extensions to torque nuts down with an impact. When the torque is reached, they flex under impact and quit turning the nut. But they only work on impacts, not a ratchet.
    The reason the Bosch bit reached a high torque rating is it didn't flex. When it broke, it shattered.

Top Bottom