• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    The truck was stolen out of MY driveway. The dog walker wasn't a stalker. She was just a rude and inconsiderate neighbor who apparently spoke English as a second language. The electricity was thieved from a rental unit.

But, yes, we've had more than our fair share of "bad luck" lately. And, yes, it is affecting my sanity.

And, yes, I do think it's time America was wrested from the grip of the moochers and looters and criminals and scum of the earth. What do you suggest that I do?
    READ POST #32 from this thread;)

raggedoutcummins77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    morgantown in
    like gunman41 said what happend to respect the neighbor some people dont give a crap about a neighbor i would go tell them u need money to pay it now lol now i am the power man and ur cut off lol

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Technically it would be their fault for trespassing and being too stupid for mot knowing the difference between 120v and "440v"

Yep....

I am pretty sure you could wire 220 to a 120 outlet..... don't know about 440.......... it would only need to work for about a split second.

Or pull the wiring off the outlet... that would be the easiest thing to do.....

Id get it on video and call the cops.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Legally, I can see the objection, but the size of the transformer is pertinent only to the extent of how much stuff it can burn out before it blows out itself. It takes only about 10mA to kill someone under the "right" conditions, whether at 440 or 120V. Extra voltage can mess up stuff that's plugged in, but someone would have to do something blatantly stupid to get hurt, voltage notwithstanding.

I think, in a round about way, we're agreeing.

I checked the cords on a couple of my power tools (DeWalt) and they're listed at 300v. (Romex is listed at 600v.).

Therefore it's conceivable the over stressing of such a conductor could result in failure, at least partially. If a failure were to occur, given the higher voltage, the required current to cause injury can result at higher levels of impedances to ground (or another phase).

We're talking about people doing stupid things like breaking and entering, probably plugging in to non-GFCI protected receptacles, routing the extension cords unprotected, out doors, probably a cheap cord with who knows how much load connected....so yeah, doing something blatantly stupid is entirely to be expected.

br2710

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Wayne County
    240 volts would be easy to do. Just take take the neutral(white wire) that goes to that receptical and install it into the breaker above or below the breaker for that receptical. It will still be grounded. Make sure the other recepticals in that curcuit doesn't have anything plugged into it or it will probably won't work once the power is turned on. Once you let the somke out of their power tools they won't work anymore!!!! LOL :):

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    What were the running?
    You said they were running it 2 houses down from yours, how large was the cord?
    The V drop that long will fry if they are pulling alot of power.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Or you could make the power cord dissapear everytime they plug it in. That would make it time consuming and expensive for them.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    i would go tell them u need money to pay it now lol now i am the power man and ur cut off lol
    No, you wouldn't. Because the people in this neighborhood are retaliatory to a fault and the minute you turn your back to walk away--without your money--you'd find they've already snuck around the back way and thrown rocks through all your windows. It's so easy to Monday-morning quarterback, but if you haven't dealt with this kind of scum before....

Cut off? You mean the THREE time IPL has made ever-more drastic efforts to keep them from stealing it directly from the utility? The first time IPL just disconnected the service. The second time IPL removed the meter. The third time IPL physically disconnected the home from the grid. Somehow if after those efforts these people are still attempting to take what isn't there's, I doubt some white girl is gonna convince them of the error of their ways.

If the house doesn't have renters, why not shut off the circuit breaker

First, I don't want to. I'm still working on clean out and clean up and would appreciate not having to do so in 40* temps.

Second, it's reaching freezing season. It can take as many at 3-4 months to rent this unit. I still need juice to run the heat to keep the pipes from bursting. (Can't turn water off because it's a double and isn't metered separately and there's only on turn-off valve for both units.)

Third, as someone mentioned, if they can get inside to plug in, they can simply switch the breakers back on. Of course, I could remove the main, but that would leave with with problem #2 again. This ain't Florida. :D

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    No, you wouldn't. Because the people in this neighborhood are retaliatory to a fault and the minute you turn your back to walk away--without your money--you'd find they've already snuck around the back way and thrown rocks through all your windows. It's so easy to Monday-morning quarterback, but if you haven't dealt with this kind of scum before....

Cut off? You mean the THREE time IPL has made ever-more drastic efforts to keep them from stealing it directly from the utility? The first time IPL just disconnected the service. The second time IPL removed the meter. The third time IPL physically disconnected the home from the grid. Somehow if after those efforts these people are still attempting to take what isn't there's, I doubt some white girl is gonna convince them of the error of their ways.

First, I don't want to. I'm still working on clean out and clean up and would appreciate not having to do so in 40* temps.

Second, it's reaching freezing season. It can take as many at 3-4 months to rent this unit. I still need juice to run the heat to keep the pipes from bursting. (Can't turn water off because it's a double and isn't metered separately and there's only on turn-off valve for both units.)

Third, as someone mentioned, if they can get inside to plug in, they can simply switch the breakers back on. Of course, I could remove the main, but that would leave with with problem #2 again. This ain't Florida. :D
    Wasn't thinking, I've only lived out of MIAMI 11 months out of my 47 years, :dunno:guess things are different up north:n00b:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I hate to say it, but...
    the fact that the thieves had kids played on LE's soft spot. :xmad:

^ You're screwed.
    Any time ANYthing could have the slightest negative effect on the chiiiirdennz, you ain't gonna win jack.
    Best course of action is probably security cameras (like the webcam thingies) with a feed to your computer to digitally record/save what's happening.
    Camera will probably get trashed, but you'll have the footage to pursue things from there, if you can.

Top Bottom