• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone use electronic earmuffs for your home defense?

I got a pair for Christmas today. And while playing around with them, I was surprised on how much I could hear. And it got me thinking. If I ever had to fire my firearm in my house, that sound would echo, and leave my ears ringing. If my house was dark, I wouldn't be able to see anymore threats. All I have to rely on is hearing, and now my ears are ringing. (yeah I know about a flashlight, but bear with me)

Wouldn't it be smart to have a pair of electronic earmuffs for your home defense?

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    presume you have earmuffs that enhance hearing, and suppress loud noises, yes i can see where these would come in handy, seems they would help hear a silent intruder.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    If you shoot your gun out of self defense I dont think they will be ringing. I dont know the reason behind it but its the same as shooting game animals while hunting, zero ringing even when shooting a 300 RUM.

JC_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Grant County
    Although I am a huge fan of Electronic muffs at the range and even in the woods - I would think if I heard something go bump in the middle of the night at home they would probably not be the first thing on my mind. I guess it would depend on how much time you have between the sound you heard or whatever alerted you and a face to face encounter with the intruder.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I actually hear conversations better with mine on, if they were available at the time I would wear them before shooting in the house.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    presume you have earmuffs that enhance hearing, and suppress loud noises, yes i can see where these would come in handy, seems they would help hear a silent intruder.

I dont know how they would help hear a silent intruder.
    You will have to hear the intruder without the earmuffs first in order to put them on unless you are sleeping with your earmuffs at all time.
    So once you hear the intruder its pretty much useless to put them on to enhance the hearing.
    If you do hear a noise during the night you already have to grab your gun and your flashlight, having to worry about wearing your earmuffs too is that short period of time seems to be too much things to do.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Does anyone use electronic earmuffs for your home defense?

I got a pair for Christmas today. And while playing around with them, I was surprised on how much I could hear. And it got me thinking. If I ever had to fire my firearm in my house, that sound would echo, and leave my ears ringing. If my house was dark, I wouldn't be able to see anymore threats. All I have to rely on is hearing, and now my ears are ringing. (yeah I know about a flashlight, but bear with me)

Wouldn't it be smart to have a pair of electronic earmuffs for your home defense?
    Good call! :yesway: I've thought about using them in my deer stands, but never considered the benefits of a HD application

Care to elaborate on how they work and when they are used?

They cancel out noise, usually above 85 db, but can amplify all sounds below that. A good pair ( cost ranging from about $50 to $300) will have stereo microphones that will allow you to be able to determine where the sounds are coming from.

I bought a pair for my GF because she was using softee ear plugs And ear muffs at the range which muffled the sound of the center fire rifles, but made it very difficult for her to hear range commands. She loves them.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Seems like a good idea to keep a pair next to your HD weapon. If you have the couple of seconds to spare, it is an excellent way to both enhance your own hearing and protect it in case shots are fired.

They serve the same purpose when you go to firearms training. You can hear the trainer well and they protect your hearing during firing exercises.

Last edited:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have worn them around the house to get a feel for what it would be like if I had to go "CNN" on someone in my home.

The sounds you never pay attention to are amplified greatly. A bit weird and in a situation where your senses are up and adrenaline pumping I dunno if it might be too much. Obviously it would be much better for your ears if you had to start shooting.

I suggest trying them on in the house and getting a feel for them and the sounds that are amplified!

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    You dont understand how the human body works, adrenaline will keep the pain away so you can fight, your hearing will block the noise so you can still hear. If you dont believe me look it up I am serious!

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have worn them around the house to get a feel for what it would be like if I had to go "CNN" on someone in my home.

The sounds you never pay attention to are amplified greatly. A bit weird and in a situation where your senses are up and adrenaline pumping I dunno if it might be too much. Obviously it would be much better for your ears if you had to start shooting.

I suggest trying them on in the house and getting a feel for them and the sounds that are amplified!

+ :yesway:

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    You dont understand how the human body works, adrenaline will keep the pain away so you can fight, your hearing will block the noise so you can still hear. If you dont believe me look it up I am serious!

I have read articles in the past about this phenomenon. I believe it is called auditory exclusion. From the articles I have read, most people don't remember hearing the gunshots while they are in a real shooting situation. Some people can only remember hearing hearing a mild "pop". From my own experience when my mother was murdered in front of me, I cannot remember hearing any of the gunshots. My mother fired several rounds of .22 short and her murderer fired 6 rounds of .38 special. This happened 40 years ago when I was 3 1/2 years old. I can remember everything else about the incident, even some of the things I was thinking, but I cannot remember hearing any gunshots.

ghille45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    afghanistan
    I use them in combat, have had several gunfights with mine on and it sure beats not having them on, cuts down on confusion and allows you to keep your combat effectiveness. The only time I have had ringing in my ears after a fight was a suicide bomber that blew himself up withing 15 feet of me. RPG blasts and mortar rounds are taken down to thumps felt more in your body, and shots sound like pops.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    I use them in combat, have had several gunfights with mine on and it sure beats not having them on, cuts down on confusion and allows you to keep your combat effectiveness. The only time I have had ringing in my ears after a fight was a suicide bomber that blew himself up withing 15 feet of me. RPG blasts and mortar rounds are taken down to thumps felt more in your body, and shots sound like pops.

That was a time when a threat was expected though. We wore them overseas as well once we got our throat mics, and they certainly help with the d***ed droning sound of a diesel...

Anywhoo, with someone coming through my front door, thats the last thing I would want to think of or have confusing me. I get weird knocks at night from some strange neighbors(I live in an Apt), I grab my pistol and a light. For me to have that added hesitation being disoriented already...I wouldn't think it prudent. Just my :twocents:

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    IMHO, when some breaks through your back door and you grab your gun I don't think you'll grab your ear muffs. I think you may lose your directional hearing as well (ability to tell where the sound is coming from).

Top Bottom