• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Ok, not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here it goes:

I work for a non-profit on the south side of South Bend. The non-profit is the landlord for a charter school that rents a separate building on the complex. They school called our maintenance supervisor today to see if we can take care of a ground hog that's stuck in a window well. Groundhogs are a nuisance animal as they dig around the building foundation and under the pavement which causes collapse & pot holes after the winter.

Maintenance told them to call South Bend/St. Joe Animal Control. The school did and reported that Animal Control told them there's nothing they can do, they won't come out to take care of the groundhog.

Our maintenance supervisor knows that I hunt (and have even harvested and cooked up groundhog). He asks if I can take care of it after school, after the kids and faculty are all gone for the day.

Can I, under the authority of the landlord, whack the whistle pig in the window well? My means of choice would be (A) an Aguila SSS 60 gr subsonic .22 round out of a Marlin 39A-- real quiet or (B) a .177 out of a Diana RWS 48 air rifle (it'll do the job).

Other than an air rifle or .22 I could opt for a heavy rock to the head, sledgehammer, or go all tribal on his fuzzy butt with a shaft-fashioned-into-a-pike.

Not eager to lose my lifetime LTCH or get crosswise with the law by any means by doing something that seems like a common sense solution that's not so common sense anymore.

If there are any attorneys that would like to chime in, please identify yourself :D

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    You should be fine, considering they requested you do it.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    You should be fine, considering they requested you do it.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

Possessing a gun is one thing - discharging a gun in city limits without a self defense reason may get you in a jam. I wouldn't risk anything that expels a projectile in this situation. Shovel to the head should do the trick. :twocents:

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Let me get this straight. You want to take a firearm to a school and discharge it? I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the laws about certain circumstances, I'm no lawyer, but this seems like a incredibly bad idea.

I can only imagine what the News would do with this one.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've heard the Europeans used to use Ferrets for hunting critters like groundhogs. Supposed to be some vicious little weasle cousins.

Too bad it's illegal to hunt with Ferrets in Indiana.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Let me get this straight. You want to take a firearm to a school and discharge it? I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the laws about certain circumstances, I'm no lawyer, but this seems like a incredibly bad idea.

I can only imagine what the News would do with this one.

Well, my first thought was to build it a wee little ladder so it can climb out of the window well, but the Maintenance Manager wants it "gone" (i.e. whacked, terminated, removed from the land of the living).

Yes, I want to take a firearm, preferably a .22lr projecting a 60 gr. subsonic projectile that goes "click, pffft"-- nice & quiet-- or .177 pellet rifle (not a firearm according to IC 35-47-1-5) that goes "click, pffft" to dispatch of the nuisance critter. After school is dismissed and all personnel are gone. I promise not to call the news-- unless, of course, I look down into the window well tomorrow and see a world-record groundhog.

When I was in high school taking your rifle to school during hunting season was no big deal. Heck, I remember our wood shop teacher demonstrating proper rifle operation and safety every year in November.

Shame how ridiculously fearful our country has become, isn't it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    When I was an EOD soldier at TCAAP in the early 1970's I used to blow their little heads off with a blasting cap, a battery, staple, aluminum foil, and paper.

If you can get a blasting cap, I will rig up the device for you.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Tie a bowie knife to a stick. Puncture whistle pig. Retrieve.

Stick your arm down there with a hammer and if you're not quick enough YOU might be his ladder to freedom. Then you could do the supersized version of the "Squirrel Dance":): Claws that can move dirt that fast can do some serious damage. Not to mention a pair of incisors as wide as your thumb.

I'd not try the weapon discharge if it could be avoided. C/O may be the smartest call.:dunno:

Top Bottom