• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Parents have no responsibility for the actions of the children they "parent?"

Gun owners have no responsibility to secure the firearms they own?

Sure, then Ella's parents should be charged for sending their daughter to school where she got hurt, right?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://www.indystar.com/story/news...ideo-suspect-chilling-court-quiet/1928846002/

...In the video, filmed hours before he opened fire on his seventh-grade classroom on May 25, he's holding a gun, lightly swinging it as he casually describes the ammunition he's collected. At one point he calmly pressed the barrel to his cheek before pulling it away. He starts loading it as he continues talking quietly.

I’m going to kill myself. I got to take other people’s lives before I take my own. You’ll see this because it’s going to be all over the news. Can’t wait ...

It’s gonna be fun.

...On the morning of the shooting, the 13-year-old packed two guns and ammo in his backpack before getting on the bus. His mother remembers talking to him about an upcoming band concert. They needed to make sure his black dress pants still fit.

“I told him, ‘Have a good day. I’ll be here when you get home,'" she testified from the witness stand.

Meanwhile, one floor away in the family's basement, the keys were hanging out of the gun safe lock. Police would find it that way while searching the home a few hours later.

"Don't build any weaponry, OK?" the boy's mom told him. "I'm serious. That would look bad."...

Kperkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2018
    Logansport
    How far do we have to go for something to be "reasonable"? When people and kids have enough time they can get through any hurdle. How long did it take him to find the keys? There are a lot of questions that we can ask and should be answered but it all falls back to what is reasonable.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    So if your kids are old/responsible enough to stay home alone they can’t defend them selves with a gun because of a had full of nut bags kids.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I would hope each situation would merit individualized consideration rather than a blanket attempt to cover all situations. (I pray there are no more "situations") One size fits all does not do anyone any justice in these kind of tragedies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...(I pray there are no more "situations")...

Praying is great, but why would we expect anything to change when we refuse to hold anyone accountable when these "situations" occur?

Nearly every one on these situations involve known problem individuals that should have received much more scrutiny and action from parents, peers, authorities, etc.

All we really do about these situations is wait around for the anti-gunners to "educate" a naïve younger generation that the Second Amendment, NRA and gun ownership is the problem.

_100404717_getty_walkout.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Praying is great, but why would we expect anything to change when we refuse to hold anyone accountable when these "situations" occur?

Nearly every one on these situations involve known problem individuals that should have received much more scrutiny and action from parents, peers, authorities, etc.

All we really do about these situations is wait around for the anti-gunners to "educate" a naïve younger generation that the Second Amendment, NRA and gun ownership is the problem.

_100404717_getty_walkout.jpg

So the only way to avoid more gun control is to create/enforce more gun control? Kind of a self defeating endeavor.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Holding people accountable for their actions has nothing to do with gun control.

Just who is accountable and how will that help prevent the next tragedy? Holding the wrong people accountable will backfire needlessly. Who is really accountable here? If the child was 16, 17 or 18y/o and stole the gun from the "safe", would that be different?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    A few years ago a 15 year old boy broke into a car and stole a glock. Later he shot someone while showing him the gun. Does the car owner get charged with murder? How about the shooters parents for not having 24/7 control of their child?

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    I'm sorry but i have nothing but contempt for people/parents like these. It sounds like the shooters parents were responsible gun owners with their guns locked in a safe.
    They're probably just as devastated and the shooting victims. And then they get hit with a lawsuit?
    But hey, this is America, any time you can put free money in your pocket go for it right?
    And if they win the lawsuit, as they're stuffing their pockets with that cash they'll lie and say it's about justice.
    I feel bad for the people who got hurt but this is disgusting.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If your child uses your gun to shoot others, who is accountable?

If your child uses your gun to shoot others, who is accountable?

Your child steals your cars keys and runs someone over

Your child steals another kids pencil and stabs someone with it

Your child makes a snowball that has a rock in it and destroys someones eye with it

Your child knocks up another "child"

Given that the parent isn't around to hover over the kid 24/7, sounds to me the kid is if they're acting under their own desire

"children" may be children, but at that age, most have complete knowledge and control of their actions and intentions. Terrible what happened, but the kid made his own decision and must accept the consequences.

Parents are parents, but they're not their kids. Sometimes the parents can be held accountable, other times the action and consequences are solely on the kid

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Your child steals your cars keys and runs someone over

Your child steals another kids pencil and stabs someone with it

Your child makes a snowball that has a rock in it and destroys someones eye with it

Your child knocks up another "child"...

Strangely :rolleyes:, none of this is what we are talking about, is it?

No one is accountable?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Strangely :rolleyes:, none of this is what we are talking about, is it?

No one is accountable?

The person who did the shooting is

In post #3, it was stated the guns were locked in a safe but the kid found the key (I don't know if this is verified but I'm sure others have followed this way way closer than I have)

If that is the case, wouldn't your kid stealing your keys be a comparative situation? Did you hover over your kids 24/7 so they never messed up?

For whatever reason, most don't like to blame young people for their actions. In part I get that because a lot have been taught bad habits by bad parents. In a lot of instances however they still know right from wrong and they still act in the wrong.

A lot of people just suck, I don't know why it's hard to get that point across without blaming more than 1 person

If those parents had the guns locked in Fort Knox and he still found a way to get them it seems like people would still bash them for not doing enough

Top Bottom