• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I live 5 minutes away from Elmore's and have not been in the shop in quite a while for the same reason. On occasion, they've been helpful, but almost always they've been condescending. Still, sucks to see them hit again.

I live about two minutes away and I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been in the store.
    I’ve got mixed feelings about the place. I’d hate to see ANY gun shop close but if they did, it’d be their own fault.
    I guess they get enough business, but they could have so much more if they would just be receptive to new and younger customers, greet people when they enter, maybe even smile occasionally!? (I know, that’s a lot to ask!)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I live about two minutes away and I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been in the store.
    I’ve got mixed feelings about the place. I’d hate to see ANY gun shop close but if they did, it’d be their own fault.
    I guess they get enough business, but they could have so much more if they would just be receptive to new and younger customers, greet people when they enter, maybe even smile occasionally!? (I know, that’s a lot to ask!)

My last to visits were short and anything but sweet. Regardless I will never go in there again.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    My last to visits were short and anything but sweet. Regardless I will never go in there again.
    I won’t say I won’t ever go back, but if I did, it’d be to just waste time and look at used guns. There would have to be something I really want for a killer price for me to spend any money.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    LOL! Sure, they're not all smiley faces and hugging you when you walk in the door. They're pretty good gun people though.
    I’m not doubting that (not counting Churchmouse’s example), but evidently there are quite a few who haven’t had the opportunity to find out.

by the way..... I wouldn’t want a hug from ANY of those guys!:runaway:

Last edited:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I may need to stop in and look at used guns. Thanks for the smoke warning. I'll wear a jacket I can toss.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It is hard to be a customer there I agree. Over the years I have bought a handful of items, Jason seems to be the most helpful.

It still sucks that they were hit again, now there are more guns on the street, that likely will end up in the wrong hands.
    I hope they catch the perp, and not let him go or plea bargain down his offense.
    You are correct. Jason was a rockstar. (post crappy handoff) "what can I get you? Yep have it right here. Twenty bucks. [*I hand him a Jackson*] Awesome. Have a good day!" And out the door I went...

Alarm did go off, it took cops 8 minutes to arrive, perp was in and out before they got there.

Maybe they need to add claymores and CS gas dispensers to the alarm instead of dialers and horns? :):

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Russ Elmore sold me my 1st Springfield M1-A in 1998, my first reloading press in 1999. He is a bit eccentric, but a decent man in my opinion. His son, who I believe runs the shop now, I will refrain from stating here my opinion.

I hate to see any small business robbed. Robbers need to go to jail.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yep.
    Sad thing is that a simple greeting would make a huge difference in their reputation AND their sales!

Most of the time people DO get a polite greeting when they enter. Other times they don't. You'll always hear about the bad more than the good.
    I've copped an attitude at them a time or two over the past few decades myself. That's ok with me. I don't get butt hurt easily. They offer a service and product I use.
    I'm not kissing anyone's arse but I can honestly say I've been treated better at Elmores than I have at some other local shops over the past few years. Better prices as well.
    I am NOT going to openly bash a shop on here but I'll let anyone know my review on any shop I've frequented off the main world media.
    The Reputation might be deserved but not to the extent some of this makes it sound like. Is the place perfect? No but I don't know of any others that are either. I've known most of the shop owners in this town for the past 45 years or more.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Most of the time people DO get a polite greeting when they enter. Other times they don't. You'll always hear about the bad more than the good.
    I've copped an attitude at them a time or two over the past few decades myself. That's ok with me. I don't get butt hurt easily. They offer a service and product I use.
    I'm not kissing anyone's arse but I can honestly say I've been treated better at Elmores than I have at some other local shops over the past few years. Better prices as well.
    I am NOT going to openly bash a shop on here but I'll let anyone know my review on any shop I've frequented off the main world media.
    The Reputation might be deserved but not to the extent some of this makes it sound like. Is the place perfect? No but I don't know of any others that are either. I've known most of the shop owners in this town for the past 45 years or more.

No offense to you at all Harry, but I think you have a different perspective than other customers. You've been around the businesses for years, they all know you and you know them. I would have to think you get a much better experience in certain shops than a lot of others.

I went to Elmore's 2 - 3 years back. There were three of us hitting a couple local gun shops to look at selections and maybe pick up a part of two for an AR build I was doing. We'd just come back from an extremely positive experience at USDS. When we walked into the shop, there were 3 or 4 people over talking and smoking in one area of the shop. They all turned and looked at us with expressions that seemed to be suggesting that we were lost and in the wrong place, then they turned and went back to their conversation. Not one of them said a thing to us. We wandered the shop for about 20 minutes before a younger guy peeled off and came over to the counter we were standing at. He stood there going through stuff behind the counter for 5 minutes never saying a thing to us. My buddy finally asked him a question, to which he gave a terse answer, gave us a part and took the money. Never said thanks, never asked if we wanted to look at anything else and didn't say goodbye. Just went back over to the group and kept talking. The entire time the older guys would occasionally glare over at us, like they were trying to telepathically communicate that we should leave. All I can say is that I personally will never go into that shop again. I've been to tons of other gun stores since that time and I have never been made to feel as unwelcome as I did at Elmore's. It's good for them that they have a solid customer base that supports them, because based on that experience they sure as hell aren't getting any new customers.

Anyway, that was all I wanted to say. Different people have different experiences. I feel that mine justifies my personal opinion and your experiences justify yours. I'll continue to do my business with shops who act like they want that business and not deal with places that act like I'm an imposition to them.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've always gotten along with the guys at Elmore's. I've done some work for them over the years, bought a few, traded a few, transferred a few, learned a thing or two. To each his own, I guess. The only other gun counter that I think treated me better was Galyan's ... and we all know what happened there.

You don't go into Elmore's expecting compliments. Or if you are recovering from lung surgery.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    No offense to you at all Harry, but I think you have a different perspective than other customers. You've been around the businesses for years, they all know you and you know them. I would have to think you get a much better experience in certain shops than a lot of others.

I went to Elmore's 2 - 3 years back. There were three of us hitting a couple local gun shops to look at selections and maybe pick up a part of two for an AR build I was doing. We'd just come back from an extremely positive experience at USDS. When we walked into the shop, there were 3 or 4 people over talking and smoking in one area of the shop. They all turned and looked at us with expressions that seemed to be suggesting that we were lost and in the wrong place, then they turned and went back to their conversation. Not one of them said a thing to us. We wandered the shop for about 20 minutes before a younger guy peeled off and came over to the counter we were standing at. He stood there going through stuff behind the counter for 5 minutes never saying a thing to us. My buddy finally asked him a question, to which he gave a terse answer, gave us a part and took the money. Never said thanks, never asked if we wanted to look at anything else and didn't say goodbye. Just went back over to the group and kept talking. The entire time the older guys would occasionally glare over at us, like they were trying to telepathically communicate that we should leave. All I can say is that I personally will never go into that shop again. I've been to tons of other gun stores since that time and I have never been made to feel as unwelcome as I did at Elmore's. It's good for them that they have a solid customer base that supports them, because based on that experience they sure as hell aren't getting any new customers.

Anyway, that was all I wanted to say. Different people have different experiences. I feel that mine justifies my personal opinion and your experiences justify yours. I'll continue to do my business with shops who act like they want that business and not deal with places that act like I'm an imposition to them.
    Just because there's a small group of people behind the counter at Elmores doesn't mean they work there. There's some old regulars and family friends that seem to hang out there very regularly. Unless you know who's who then you could easily get the wrong opinion of the personnel.
    There are a lot of LEOs and EX military that hang out there. That's kind of the main theme of the shop. And honestly... You'll find the occasional box of donuts or bacon wrapped pastry on the counter.
    Brandy snobs, cigar snobs, cop snobs, etc.
    They ARE professional people and you can get what you need there.
    Or shop for an attitude and get an attitude.
    I don't "hang out" in there. I make regular runs to a lot of the shops on the S.Side of indy to Bargersville, east to Greenfield, west side of Indy well past PSS. I've known Bob for decades as well. I just don't go north of Marion Co. That's personal though. I got treated poorly and won't go back. I do understand the butt hurt and whining. I do it myself

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just because there's a small group of people behind the counter at Elmores doesn't mean they work there. There's some old regulars and family friends that seem to hang out there very regularly. Unless you know who's who then you could easily get the wrong opinion of the personnel.
    There are a lot of LEOs and EX military that hang out there. That's kind of the main theme of the shop. And honestly... You'll find the occasional box of donuts or bacon wrapped pastry on the counter.
    Brandy snobs, cigar snobs, cop snobs, etc.
    They ARE professional people and you can get what you need there.
    Or shop for an attitude and get an attitude.
    I don't "hang out" in there. I make regular runs to a lot of the shops on the S.Side of indy to Bargersville, east to Greenfield, west side of Indy well past PSS. I've known Bob for decades as well. I just don't go north of Marion Co. That's personal though. I got treated poorly and won't go back. I do understand the butt hurt and whining. I do it myself

Yep, I get it. To each their own. I'll stay hitting the shops that make me feel welcome though ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, I get it. To each their own. I'll stay hitting the shops that make me feel welcome though ;)

As mentioned and not slamming anyones favorite LGS it often seems that new faces draw attention in these troubled times.
    I have 1st name and better relationships with a few LGS so I tend to frequent those stores. They know me well. I have been to their homes and the range with them. That puts me in the inner circle as it were.
    I will not go back into a couple of stores for how I was treated not so much greeted.
    CS is all important. Dont knock yourself over greeting me but acknowledge my presence. Can I help you is a great way to start. When I ask a question your answer will let me know if I want to spend any more time listening. Folks will show their knowledge or lack of same pretty rapidly.
    I love it when I am told what when and where about a 1911. In a conversation at the LGS in question here I was told I could not do something I was planning. When I mentioned I have done it several times I was as much called a liar. Not in so many words but I will not be scoffed at. The exchange went south from there.

That said I do truly hate when peoples store are broken into. I would start a pool on what this turds rap sheet looks like should they ever catch him. I hope the find him and the goods he left with.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That said I do truly hate when peoples store are broken into. I would start a pool on what this turds rap sheet looks like should they ever catch him. I hope the find him and the goods he left with.

Absolutely agree with that. I hope they find whoever did this and I hope they go away for a very long time.

Top Bottom