• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SandHill84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Camby/Mooresville area
    My parents (mid-70's) have no way to heat their home if power goes out; one of those total electric condos in retiree complex. I was thinking of buying them either a kerosene heater or one of those Mr. Heater-Big Buddy propane heater for emergency heat if I can't bring them home with me. Was leery of the kerosene heater since they would have to refill and might be prone to spill. Drawback with Mr. Heater is that those 1 lb propane tanks don't last long. You can hook them up to a 20lb propane tank with 12 ft ext. hose but not sure how they could keep tank outside and would be very nervous to suggest to leave tank in thier condo.

Ideas or suggestions on emergency heat sources?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My parents (mid-70's) have no way to heat their home if power goes out; one of those total electric condos in retiree complex. I was thinking of buying them either a kerosene heater or one of those Mr. Heater-Big Buddy propane heater for emergency heat if I can't bring them home with me. Was leery of the kerosene heater since they would have to refill and might be prone to spill. Drawback with Mr. Heater is that those 1 lb propane tanks don't last long. You can hook them up to a 20lb propane tank with 12 ft ext. hose but not sure how they could keep tank outside and would be very nervous to suggest to leave tank in thier condo.

Ideas or suggestions on emergency heat sources?

Something that provides a lot more safety would be a couple of large deep cycle RV type batteries and an inverter large enough to power a portable electric heater. The capital outlay is considerably more, I admit, but it is something that can be stored and used in a condo with much more peace of mind.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I won't ever go back to using kerosene heaters since buying a Mr.Heater Portable Buddy.

I highly recommend them, as far as the 1lb tanks, they usually last 4 hours or so on the high setting & about 8 hours or so on the low setting, with adapters you can hook the Buddy heater up directly to a 20lb tank or you can refill the 1lb tanks from a 20lb tank (which I recommend doing).

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    It's a pretty pricey addition ($1500.00) but we have a Vent free gas log fireplace, 45,000 Btu. No electricity required and it will heat the whole house as long as the Natural gas company keeps up their end. Coupled with a Gas hot water heater, we could go for a long time without power. Can cook on the LP gas grill.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I agree with your concerns on the kerosene, a little spill on the interior
    could flame up or just make a mess for Mom to clean up.

Each complex is going to have different rules.
    I like the Mr. Heater option, but being practical, requires the 20# cylinders.

Would being plumbed up from the outside be an option with a thru the wall kit?
    ( a small 1/2" hole drilled and sealed thru the exterior wall)

The tanks could be removed and stored elsewhere during the non cold months,
    connected and covered with a grill cover during the cold months.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If one leaked it could possibly asphyxiate everyone inside a home.

Uhhh...
    Doubtful.

Propane Gas falls. Unless you are sleeping on the Floor in the lowest point in your structure then you may have a problem...

Not to mention the hoses and hose ends are far more believable as sources of leaks...

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Uhhh...
    Doubtful.

Propane Gas falls. Unless you are sleeping on the Floor in the lowest point in your structure then you may have a problem...

Not to mention the hoses and hose ends are far more believable as sources of leaks...

Not so sure about that. I have purchased many tanks that have bad valves over the past few years for our pop up camper. I always disconnect the lines between use and crank down the valve but many bleed out anyway. Most 20 lb tanks are purchased through those gas station exchange programs and many look beat to heck so you even have to sift through them to look for most reliable looking valve set up.

As for propane gas falling I did not know that. Thanks for the insight. But how about a spark of some kind iginiting it?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Not so sure about that. I have purchased many tanks that have bad valves over the past few years for our pop up camper. I always disconnect the lines between use and crank down the valve but many bleed out anyway. Most 20 lb tanks are purchased through those gas station exchange programs and many look beat to heck so you even have to sift through them to look for most reliable looking valve set up.
    Not arguing that their are not Bad Tanks or Bad Valves out there. Just far more likely to develop a Leak at the Hose Connections when in use than the Valves...
    As for propane gas falling I did not know that. Thanks for the insight. But how about a spark of some kind iginiting it?
    As far as a spark igniting it...
    Sure it could...
    If the Air to Fuel Ratios are in the right Proportions at the right spot...

I am sifting around in my NFPA Library right now...
    Off the top of my head...
    So I maybe off a little. One Gallon of Propane at 60*F occupies less than 36 Cubic Feet of Vapor...
    And is considerably denser than air...

Good Source of Info on Propane...
    Propane Properties, Characteristics and Propane Gas Combustion Information

Last edited:

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Propane in 20# tanks should never be used indoors.

The tank and one source to shut it off should be outside.

Propane is extremely explosive and can knock a house or condo off it's foundation.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Propane in 20# tanks should never be used indoors.
    Is there source for this wisdom other than Rumor and Hearsay?!
    The tank and one source to shut it off should be outside.
    What ever makes you feel safe there...

Propane is extremely explosive and can knock a house or condo off it's foundation.
    LOL...
    Only in Hollywood... ;)

By the way you guys are aware that NG is far more likely to kill you than Propane. Right?!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    in the past 4 years i have had 2 mr. heater buddy heaters leak & catch fire.. i have switched back to kerosene because the fire risk is lower.

YIKES!

Can we get some details on this? many of us use Mr Heater Buddy heaters & would be very interested if there is a danger of them catching fire!

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I would never store a 20lb cylinder inside... but I have always wondered how high the risk is of using it indoors for emergency heat. I wouldn't consider doing it on a regular basis... but if it is between using it inside and freezing to death, I think I would risk it.

singlestacksig: how did they leak and catch fire? I am just curious how that happens. Where does it leak from? Can you describe it a bit more? If you are following instructions and keeping it 2' away from anything, are you still pretty safe?

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I hope he revisits the thread and adds some more details, because I even use my portable buddy heater inside of our tent when we go camping!

That'd be pretty scary to have the thing burst into flames right next too the whole family while we are sleeping, zippered up in mummy bags!

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I hope he revisits the thread and adds some more details, because I even use my portable buddy heater inside of our tent when we go camping!

That'd be pretty scary to have the thing burst into flames right next too the whole family while we are sleeping, zippered up in mummy bags!

I was considering using one in our tent. We have a huge 15'x10' tent that we figured had plenty of room to keep a 2' radius around the heater. Of course we wouldn't leave it running unattended or while sleeping, and would keep a fire extinguisher nearby. However if they are really that prone to catch fire, I might rethink that. I know lots of other people who do it.

Top Bottom