Employee fired after she's robbed at gunpoint, and refused to recoup losses.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We "used" to enjoy Popeyes Chicken! Guess I'll e-mail their corporate offices and let them know.

And yes I realize this was a franchise but that's your typical corporate smokescreen.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Pregnant Popeye's worker fired after armed robbery

... That's a weird one. How does the employer justify asking the employee to repay the losses of the burglary?

Like this:

However, a spokesperson in their human resources department explained that Marissa was fired because she broke policy by leaving too much money in the register and this wasn't her first offense.

and perhaps the locals gave her one last chance:

That spokesperson also claimed that if Marissa was given the option to pay the money back, the company knew nothing about it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Like this:

and perhaps the locals gave her one last chance:

Boom goes the dynamite.

Clerk was an idiot. They should've just fired her, but they actually were giving her an option to stay despite here repeated incompetence.

Spicy chicken from Popeye's will remain on my menu.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Happens all the time. I actually thought it might be one of my cases when I saw the headline but it was not a Popeye s.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Happens all the time. I actually thought it might be one of my cases when I saw the headline but it was not a Popeye s.

People get fired after being robbed at gunpoint all the time? Sheesh...I don't know I'd ever heard of that.

But to the facts as presented, if she's truly incompetent, I could see how this might be the proverbial last straw. But that's a lot of bad press for just $400.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Firing a pregnant worker on the heels of her going through the trauma of being robbed at gunpoint? Likely she didn't have time to change out the drawer due to keeping customers fed. That's just crappy IMO. I hope bad Karma comes back to visit them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    People get fired after being robbed at gunpoint all the time? Sheesh...I don't know I'd ever heard of that.

But to the facts as presented, if she's truly incompetent, I could see how this might be the proverbial last straw. But that's a lot of bad press for just $400.

Yup. Often screws the case, too. Former employee usually isn't real cooperative any longer.

Had a sandwich shop fire the pregnant victim a month or so ago. That's why I thought it was going to be that one at first.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yup. Often screws the case, too. Former employee usually isn't real cooperative any longer.

Had a sandwich shop fire the pregnant victim a month or so ago. That's why I thought it was going to be that one at first.

Is that some sort of CYA on the business owner's part? I know where I work they used to have a policy to officially discipline anybody that had a recordable accident, which, like the cases at hand, I thought was often absurd.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    So, she wasn't fired for being robbed at gunpoint and refusing to pay for the loss, but she was fired for repeatedly leaving too much money in the till?

That's a policy at a lot of retail stores, not just Popeye's. Are there extenuating circumstances in this case? The Manager says there are, and certainly those should be considered. IF leaving too much money in the till against company policy was a regular habit against policy, then 'luck of the draw' just finally caught up with the Manager, and there's little empathy to be given for her termination.

Paying the money back is not a requirement, nor should be even be an option. There's no 'justification' in doing so, other than being punitive to someone for no valid reason.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    If other people outside of the company knew she kept more in the till then policy allowed, this is then an inside job.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    forget-to-mention-morons_o_863318.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Does their employment contract say they are liable for funds in excess of X$ in the drawer?

the thing about rules like this... They probably get in trouble if they keep closing the register to go put money in the safe and delay the ordering process.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is that some sort of CYA on the business owner's part? I know where I work they used to have a policy to officially discipline anybody that had a recordable accident, which, like the cases at hand, I thought was often absurd.

No idea. I just know I call and ask for the person and they say they were fired.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. When I was a kid and worked fast food, our managers told us that if we were to ever be robbed we would be polite hosts and give them what they want. It was not worth anyone's life, and they were insured for it. Not sure where Popeye's is coming from on this one.

Top Bottom