Ever leave the range due to unsafe shooters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I've left public ranges twice in my life as I recall. Once for three dimwits running beyond the firing line and onto the lanes so that they could practice their ninja shooting skills, even though the people in the adjacent lanes could only gawk in disbelief.

The last time I left is when a father and son decided to setup a steel dueling tree about 7 or 8 yards out from the firing line. I was just about to ask them to move the tree further away when this happened...

J0vA1txl.jpg

This wound was caused by the bullet hitting the target at just the right angle and shedding it jacket my way. Needless to say, I was done after after giving them a piece of my mind and the bleeding stopped.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've left the range twice due to unsafe shooters.

Once there was an elderly couple and the woman was shooting a .357 and after every shot her finger remained on the trigger while she turned around and talked to hubby and in the process pretty much swept the entire facility with the muzzle. My buddy and I were in the bay next to them, and after she swept the range a couple of times, including us, we very conspicuously took several steps back to the rear, but neither one of them ever got the hint. We didn't feel like having the discussion with them, it just didn't look like it was going to be fruitful. We just packed up and left and let the range master know about it on our way out.

The second time there were a group of young men dressed in what appeared to be gang attire, also with very poor/sloppy trigger discipline, and that relatively stupid inconsiderate demeanor common to thugs. I don't mean to be judgmental, but growing up in East Chicago has given me a certain intuition about that kind of behavior, and I have to trust my gut instinct. I said something to my buddy about what he thought the odds of some of them being ineligible were. We watched them for a few more minutes and then decided to leave.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've left the range twice due to unsafe shooters.

Once there was an elderly couple and the woman was shooting a .357 and after every shot her finger remained on the trigger while she turned around and talked to hubby and in the process pretty much swept the entire facility with the muzzle. My buddy and I were in the bay next to them, and after she swept the range a couple of times, including us, we very conspicuously took several steps back to the rear, but neither one of them ever got the hint. We didn't feel like having the discussion with them, it just didn't look like it was going to be fruitful. We just packed up and left and let the range master know about it on our way out.

The second time there were a group of young men dressed in what appeared to be gang attire, also with very poor/sloppy trigger discipline, and that relatively stupid inconsiderate demeanor common to thugs. I don't mean to be judgmental, but growing up in East Chicago has given me a certain intuition about that kind of behavior, and I have to trust my gut instinct. I said something to my buddy about what he thought the odds of some of them being ineligible were. We watched them for a few more minutes and then decided to leave.

Every day occurrence at Dons.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Why are some of you guys ok with disarming before entering a range but not before entering Walmart?

Always armed whenever I can be, and the gun range is no exception. That gun doesn't get shot that trip, but stays right where it needs to be in case of need. One of the reasons I own more than one of the same gun.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Always armed whenever I can be, and the gun range is no exception. That gun doesn't get shot that trip, but stays right where it needs to be in case of need. One of the reasons I own more than one of the same gun.
    Shhhh don’t tell our secrets.

just like people don’t want unconstiutional carry permits, or UBC but require a carry permit to make a sale. Some of these seem like a lot of reckless behavior, most are a lack of training and proficiency.

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    Wasn't a range but on Christmas Eve as the family gathered at my parents my mom pulled me to the side because she wanted me to see the gift my dad had bought her. She proceeded to her closet and pulled her new Shield off the the shelf and pointed it dead center of my chest expecting a congratulations. Instead she got a stern lecture on gun safety that had her crying once she learned the danger she had just put her son in. My dad heard all the commotion, came to investigate middle of the lecture and said he'd signed her up for a safety class. One month later, after her class, my mom invited me to the indoor range to shoot with her. She didn't care about groupings or accuracy, her only intent was for me to see how safely she handled the firearm which she passed with flying colors. Guidance and training go a long way in shaping the gun community and I'd never pass up a chance to help educate shooters who don't know the safety rules and their importance.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Only time I left a range was because some RSO was standing behind a group of what appeared to be new shooters at the range, taking pictures of their targets and ridiculing them online...

AjKilgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Northern Area
    I use an outdoor range that is free first come first serve with only one staff member. I had to leave because this old man was teaching his grandkid/kid how to shoot a training 22 and started cussing out the child when he missed the target. It got so bad i said geez mister, the kid is like 7 years old, i wouldn't want to listen if i was being cussed out either. Never left due to unsafe conditions but lord knows if that kid gets older and is pissed off enough, i don't want to be present.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Only time I left a range was because some RSO was standing behind a group of what appeared to be new shooters at the range, taking pictures of their targets and ridiculing them online...

Not exactly sure how you intended this. Be a bit more clear please.
    Was this purple. Were you serious. Inquiring minds really want to know.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

So his sharing the idiocy of our own is offensive to you. Really. I do not see that thread as an issue. It shares what we all already know but puts it to light. Many of us feel in a positive way.

How many times have you tried to help one of those folks and been shot down cold. Even when approached in a positive manner. I have experienced this many times.

If you dont like the thread dont read it. Just like a TV station.

The OP of that thread and I had a few PM's about it before he started it. We set a tone and he has stayed inside of it.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    So his sharing the idiocy of our own is offensive to you. Really. I do not see that thread as an issue. It shares what we all already know but puts it to light. Many of us feel in a positive way.

How many times have you tried to help one of those folks and been shot down cold. Even when approached in a positive manner. I have experienced this many times.

If you dont like the thread dont read it. Just like a TV station.

The OP of that thread and I had a few PM's about it before he started it. We set a tone and he has stayed inside of it.

Did I ever say it was offensive? Did I ever say I had an issue with that thread? Negative.

RSO playing with a phone during the time they should be watching over the shooters at the range (and on the clock), which is their job, is what I deem an unsafe act. perfectly pertinent to this thread.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did I ever say it was offensive? Did I ever say I had an issue with that thread? Negative.

RSO playing with a phone during the time they should be watching over the shooters at the range (and on the clock), which is their job, is what I deem an unsafe act. perfectly pertinent to this thread.

But I see what you did there. So just stop it or you can continue down this path.
    This is not the blue gun thread. Yes we all have an opinion and these all add up to an answer.

Putting these things in a clear light does zero damage. JMHO

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I didnt leave but felt like I shouldve. It was me that made the offense. Was at the range with our very own Birds and CM. Was shooting pistols and want to try one of CMs race 1911s. I had it pointed down range kinda more like at a 30° angle and placed my finger on the trigger, placed, before i had the target in my sights. BANG! Didnt dry fire to test trigger just loaded and jumped in with both feet. I felt like a shaved tail lewy. Thought BA was going to kick my ass but alas i made it through without a size 10 enema. Wanted to leave but accepted my fault and stayed for the deration. Never happened again. Was actually invited for another range trip and accepted and made a few good friends. Yup i was the dumbass, definitely dipped a toe in from that point on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didnt leave but felt like I shouldve. It was me that made the offense. Was at the range with our very own Birds and CM. Was shooting pistols and want to try one of CMs race 1911s. I had it pointed down range kinda more like at a 30° angle and placed my finger on the trigger, placed, before i had the target in my sights. BANG! Didnt dry fire to test trigger just loaded and jumped in with both feet. I felt like a shaved tail lewy. Thought BA was going to kick my ass but alas i made it through without a size 10 enema. Wanted to leave but accepted my fault and stayed for the deration. Never happened again. Was actually invited for another range trip and accepted and made a few good friends. Yup i was the dumbass, definitely dipped a toe in from that point on.

BA and the Wizard got to experience the absolute dumbest thing I have ever done with a firearm in that same range. Hard lessons. Very hard and no, no injury's thank all of the gods and Deity's we observe.

If you are so tired and stressed out you need to check your ID to remember your name do not go to the range. It is just not a good idea at any level.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've seen some less than safe practices at public ranges. Nothing different than has already been said by others. I was once corrected at a club for pointing the muzzle of an open revolver toward the side berm and informed that wasn't down range. No harm no foul. I was advised once at Atterbury to us an item as a chamber flag since I didn't have one and they were out. Then there was a shift change and a different RSO came out and ridiculed me for not having an appropriate chamber flag. I explained his coworker had instructed me to do this and was told o case the gun and not shoot it. Have also had RSOs walk up and chat and then proceed to coon finger my guns without asking and one wanted to shoot everything I had with me. That always gets under my skin.

While I certainly agree we need to educate people and correct unsafe actions/do what is needed to protect ourselves..have any of you ever been to some of the bigger Trap shooting events? If having a gun with an open action pointed in your direction frightens you then stay at home. Guys with open guns dangling over their shoulder, resting barrels on their toe, willy-nilly opening/closing actions away from the firing line etc. Also, consider our own actions are sometimes less than ideal for what we preach. Aren't we all guilty of walking down range while a number of guns are pointed..down range? The point I am making is we all need to practice safe gun handling and remember anyone on the range can call cease fire if something unsafe happens so it can be corrected. Our hobby is such that consequences can be deadly but we already know this. Often the most unsafe shooters I have seen are those who very rarely shoot the rifle or pistol that has been sitting in the closet for years. Be safe and encourage others to be safe. From my perspective the hard part is correcting others without creating a conflict and not escalating this situation. It can be a tough balancing act

Top Bottom