Ever wonder where the metal from your gun comes from?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Making steel.

This is what I do.
    And there are several other INGOers here.
    The guy at 0:40 was the boss of a boss.
    1:07 is the top of a BOP furnace. Was there for 5 years or so
    1:36 is the slabs coming out of the Caster, where I am now
    2:20 states the mill at 10.5 square miles.
    2:30 they call it a "hospital", but we call it the "dispensary". Minor injuries. Major stuff you go to a real hospital. Back in the day, when it was built, it was the ONLY hospital. I've been to the dispensary every year for a physical. And probably a dozen times for minor injuries. That doc shown, has seen me multiple times, including to call the ambulance for the real hospital for me.
    2:32 fire and police, interacted with both.
    2:43 states 14,000 work there. Back when i hired, now were more like 5,000
    2:55 was leaving an area when she was coming into the area, as an employee. She moved to management soon after. Management had the dual blue hats before. Now they're white.
    3:00 that truck is HUGE. There is nothing in the pic to compare it to.
    3:38 that's a coke oven battery. The worker is in front of a single oven. A battery has a buttload of ovens. I used to remember how many, but I've been gone from there over 20 years. The glowing orange stuff is coal being cooked into coke. You can see the doors to the left and right of some of the other ovens.
    4:20 his clothes are green. You just can't tell from the dirt. They are now orange.
    4:25 you can see the aluminized coat he's wearing. You wear that when you work near the iron or steel. I normally don't have to wear it. But if I work on something hear the hot stuff, I wear it. I wear 3 layers of clothes normally. This coat makes it 4.
    4:48 dumping IRON into the BOP furnace where materials are added and oxygen (and other gases) is blown to burn off the carbon and superheat the mixture
    5:00 skimming the slag
    5:07 adding scrap metal to the furnace. We use recycle, and new materials. The amount varies on the cost of mining vs. the cost of recycle
    5:18 the steel being poured into a "mold" to make it into a slab. A continuous slab. No bottom. This is where I work.
    5:42 a ladle being shipped from the BOP, where they turned iron into steel, to the Caster, to be poured into a continuous slab. That ladle there full, will weigh over 600,000 pounds
    5:47 the Caster again, and the bottomless mold. The man here just took a sample.
    6:00 where we cut the continuous slab into slabs. Cut length depends on the order. back in the old days, they used a BIG saw to cut the slab when it was orange. But it was kind of rough on blades.
    6:13 the Kress carrier, used to carry multiple 35 ton slabs out of my building. Tires are 9 foot. And when one blows, LOOK OUT. Kicks up all the rocks in the are. Like bullets.
    6:30 slabs taken to Finishing. Okay, after this I can't comment. I've been in Finishing, like walked through. Not actually worked.
    7:30 amount of electricity used in ONE HOUR would supply a home for 34 YEARS.
    8:50 we not only recycle steel, we recycle our own steel. If we make a substandard slab, we can sell if if there's a buyer and it's only slightly off. If not, we cut the slab and feed it right back into the furnace.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Cool info, nice writeup. My girlfriend's SIL worked at steel dynamics for years. He witnessed a fellow employee's suicide by jumping into the pot, not pretty.

5:07 adding scrap metal to the furnace. We use recycle, and new materials. The amount varies on the cost of mining vs. the cost of recycle

Maybe you can answer a question that has been burning in my head for awhile.

When recycling/remelting scrap, how are all the different types/alloys handled or separated (I realize certain types of metals are separated by magnets to remove the non-ferrous from ferrous)? It would seem to me all the various possible alloys would be "tainted" or unpure and not any particular type or alloy. What controls what comes out of the smelting process of scrap?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Cool info, nice writeup. My girlfriend's SIL worked at steel dynamics for years. He witnessed a fellow employee's suicide by jumping into the pot, not pretty.

When recycling/remelting scrap, how are all the different types/alloys handled or separated (I realize certain types of metals are separated by magnets to remove the non-ferrous from ferrous)? It would seem to me all the various possible alloys would be "tainted" or unpure and not any particular type or alloy. What controls what comes out of the smelting process of scrap?
    Jumping in a ladle would not be my first choice.
    Only way I can see that, would be if a ladle had a reaction, and showered me with stuff. Then I'd do it just to end it.

Samples are taken of the steels/metals. They are analyzed for chemistry content, and separated into certain categories.
    There are thousands of steels. Each steel has a 'recipe'. Yes, that's what we call it. The recipe governs taking coal into coke, coke and taconite into iron, and iron and various ingredients into steel. The recipe looks at chemistries and temperature/time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

In the first video, at 5:24 they show a lab.
    This one is analyzing the product, but a similar lab will analyze the recycle, and one will analyze the ores.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This can give you an idea on size of the mill.

This trucker videos his drive into Finishing side, and drive thru one of the buildings

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    There are thousands of steels. Each steel has a 'recipe'. Yes, that's what we call it. The recipe governs taking coal into coke, coke and taconite into iron, and iron and various ingredients into steel. The recipe looks at chemistries and temperature/time.
    Back in the 70's the order book was so full of they screwed up a heat at the BOF/ BOP they would analyze the steel and then match it to an order.

They could also alter the chemistry of a heat in the furnace with additives. I recall lime and manganese being added. At our BOF we had a scrap conveyor, which was shopper full of cut up rail that they would dump into the heat to drop the temperature and possibly alter the chemistry.

When they still poured ingots they had different kinds of molds for different steels. How quickly the steel cooled effected the end result. They could also add things as they poured the molds. We even had a ring that went around the nozzle of the ladle that connected to nitrogen. The nitrogen kept the oxygen in the air from mixing with the steel being poured.

This was over 40 years ago for me since I regularly worked at the BOF, so if I got any of the details wrong chalk it to up being old.

The metallurgical coke is both fuel and supports the load of materials in the blast furnace. It has to meet hardness standards to work properly. The larger the blast furnace the harder the coke needs to be to support the furnace burden.

Top Bottom