Ever wonder where the metal from your gun comes from?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I'm about to nap because I have to be there at 11 tonight. If you happen to find anything that mentions roll spalls, post it up. Think claymore mine except the balls are more like several dozen pounds of dense and jagged metal chunks

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    What are those ladders made out of? Seems like they would eventually heat up and get squishy or even turn molten themselves hauling around molten steel all day.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What are those ladders made out of? Seems like they would eventually heat up and get squishy or even turn molten themselves hauling around molten steel all day.

Which ladders?

I know, any ladder, railing, or anything, near the liquid steel, better wear gloves.
    TRUST ME on that.

Also, the continuous slab before it hits the "cut off" is somewhere around 1,200 deg.
    So the crosswalk over it has a railing that is cooled by water. The railing itself is pipe. And water is constantly piped through it.

Near the quench towers in the Coke Plant, you had to be careful with railings.
    The quench steam was corrosive, and would rot the railings.
    So, before you relied on the railing, you would grab it and yank, as a test.
    When I was a new guy, I asked an older guy why some of the chains that crossed to keep you from falling down a ladder hole were different. Some looked like the chain you'd lock up your bicycle with, and some would look like it was made of wire. The older guy told me, the bicycle chain was new, and the wire chain was the SAME, only 1 year older.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Anything you pour the steel into, such as ladles, tundish boxes, run-offs, etc, are lined with masonry.

Some things are a bit different. A lance in the BOP that gets lowered into the furnace to blow oxygen, is a few big pipes for the oxygen, with a pipe spiraled around the outside of that, for water cooling, with masonry encasing both.

When we take a temperature of the steel, we dip a metal pipe into the steel. The pipe has wire through it, and plugs. We take a cardboard jacket and place it over. The cardboard jacket has a plug in it, an oxygen sensor, and a thermocouple temperature sensor in it. The steel burns through the cardboard at a given rate. Before it burns through, we get the oxygen and temperature reading. The cardboard sleeves and sensors are destroyed in the process. The wires in the cardboard are human hair sized, since it is destroyed in the process.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh. and better wear that aluminized coat and be behind a metal shield when taking the temperature.
    Ever drop ice into boiling hot water. It SNAPS.
    Well, that's the difference between 70 deg and 212 deg.
    Steel is 2,800 to 3,000. More of a difference.
    So the steel blows a bit up in a shower of sparks. It can light wood, cardboard, and clothes on fire.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    A lance in the BOP that gets lowered into the furnace to blow oxygen, is a few big pipes for the oxygen, with a pipe spiraled around the outside of that, for water cooling, with masonry encasing both.
    At Inland the lances had no masonry. One of my jobs was to burn built up slag and steel off the lances without burning the jacket of the lance. Used about a 3 1/2 foot long scarfing torch with a tip that your little finger would almost fit in. This was often a punishment job because it was a hot dirty job in a hot dirty area.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    At Inland the lances had no masonry. One of my jobs was to burn built up slag and steel off the lances without burning the jacket of the lance. Used about a 3 1/2 foot long scarfing torch with a tip that your little finger would almost fit in. This was often a punishment job because it was a hot dirty job in a hot dirty area.
    They may have added the masonry now, after you left.
    There is still build up to remove.
    But the lances are changeable. A furnace has 2 lances. And a lance can be swapped out while the other is in use.
    The lance swapped out goes to the ground to cool. And a big *** jackhammer on a tank tread will remove the skull build up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh. and better wear that aluminized coat and be behind a metal shield when taking the temperature.
    Ever drop ice into boiling hot water. It SNAPS.
    Well, that's the difference between 70 deg and 212 deg.
    Steel is 2,800 to 3,000. More of a difference.
    So the steel blows a bit up in a shower of sparks. It can light wood, cardboard, and clothes on fire.
    Yeah, well... I'll have you know that I've been bitten by a mosquito a couple of times while I've been working out on my deck just this spring/summer! So yeah, I can relate to having a dangerous job. :thumbsup:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, well... I'll have you know that I've been bitten by a mosquito a couple of times while I've been working out on my deck just this spring/summer! So yeah, I can relate to having a dangerous job. :thumbsup:
    :)
    It's all a matter of perspective.
    Earlier this summer, I had to work above a furnace in the BOP.
    While strolling threw the menu, the device listed the temperature as 170 deg.
    I muttered to myself, I need to stop complaining about 110 or 120 deg in the Caster.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh. And MOSTLY, I DON'T sit out in that heat.
    I try to sit in my air conditioned shop as much as possible.

But.. they do pay me to fix things. So, sometimes I spend time in the heat.
    Couple nights ago, spend 30 minutes changing a transducer.
    Then there was working on a positioner, 4.5 hours.
    Change a temperature pole, 30-45 minutes.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh. And MOSTLY, I DON'T sit out in that heat.
    I try to sit in my air conditioned shop as much as possible.

But.. they do pay me to fix things. So, sometimes I spend time in the heat.
    Couple nights ago, spend 30 minutes changing a transducer.
    Then there was working on a positioner, 4.5 hours.
    Change a temperature pole, 30-45 minutes.
    A few weeks ago, I almost swallowed a moth that got in my coffee mug. So I've got that going for me.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    They may have added the masonry now, after you left.
    There is still build up to remove.
    But the lances are changeable. A furnace has 2 lances. And a lance can be swapped out while the other is in use.
    The lance swapped out goes to the ground to cool. And a big *** jackhammer on a tank tread will remove the skull build up.
    Yeah, we had two lances per furnace. We had a 30 foot scaffold on the lance floor that we used to put next to the lance out of service and burn the skulls off. They only used the jackhammer on lances going out for repair. Midnights, in the summer, spending an entire shift burning skulls. I do not miss that.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Nice , I run Melt Control for super alloys (if you know you know don't want to be too obvious) , I freaking love my job. Something about walking in and seeing and hearing the electricy and fire from the furnace really does it for me.

Top Bottom