• Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Everyone has their own opinions.
    Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor inclination to listen to his.
    Kinda right there with you, If it goes bang I’m interested but from what I understand Glock barrels don’t like cast lead bullets which is 95 percent of what I shoot. Ergonomically I think they feel good but I’m not buying an after market barrel to suit my needs. And I agree that Glock accessories are available in every shape and form. Add to that, I’m pretty much a S&W kinda guy so there’s that......

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Glock barrels don’t like cast lead bullets which is 95 percent of what I shoot. Ergonomically I think they feel good but I’m not buying an after market barrel to suit my needs. And I agree that Glock accessories are available in every shape and form. Add to that, I’m pretty much a S&W kinda guy so there’s that......

Other than factory HST's for self defense, all I've ever shot in my Glocks have been my own cast/coated reloads.

:dunno:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    9mm is a universal caliber, regardless of which platform (aka, pistol / manufacturer) you prefer!
    Although I do understand his argument regarding magazine and parts compatibility.
    That being said, I do like the Glock platform as the grip angle suite my 'natural' point-n-shoot grip position. In comparison, I'm not a fan of the SIG 320 and 365 series as they are not a 'natural' nor comfortable in my grip for reliable and accurate shooting. Hence the terms, to each their own...

Last edited:

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Other than factory HST's for self defense, all I've ever shot in my Glocks have been my own cast/coated reloads.

:dunno:
    Just what I’ve read. I like the feel of Glocks but I’m an internet rule follower. Not bashing, just trying to participate. I think they are fine weapons and the G 43 felt awesome in my hands just didn’t to pony up cash for something that didn’t suit my needs as I understood it. If cast works for you I’m willing to give it a try. Thank you!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Everyone has their own opinions.
    Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor inclination to listen to his.

Looks like your encouragement is working? Obviously a lot of the commenters here have not watched the video.

FYI - A prepper guy, (hence the Survival and Preparedness section,) giving advice on preparedness. A Sig shooter, explained why preppers need a G19, regardless of their preference for daily carry.

:)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just what I’ve read. I like the feel of Glocks but I’m an internet rule follower. Not bashing, just trying to participate. I think they are fine weapons and the G 43 felt awesome in my hands just didn’t to pony up cash for something that didn’t suit my needs as I understood it. If cast works for you I’m willing to give it a try. Thank you!

Check out the shooting sports in your area. You'll find a lot of Glocks there, most using factory barrels. Most using their own reloads.

The "no reloads, no cast bullets" is lawyer and warranty CYA from one of the biggest firearm manufacturers in the world.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Just what I’ve read. I like the feel of Glocks but I’m an internet rule follower...

The Gen5 Glocks even have standard rifling for lead bullet compatibility.

Looks like your encouragement is working? Obviously a lot of the commenters here have not watched the video.

That's what I was thinking.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    the prepper experts had me all excited thinking Obama was going to round me up and put me in a FEMA camp. I’m still waiting.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ok, I watched the video and think he's overthinking the issue. I'm not a Glock hater and happen to have my G23 on my hip today. My normal EDC is a P229 in .357 Sig though. I like my G23 and it's little brother the G33 for hot summer days.

His point about aftermarket support is not well thought out. He says that you should carry a G19 in a SHTF situation because of the availability of holsters, cheap mags and general industry support. In a SHTF situation, you better be squared away in terms of your carry options. Nobody is served by the idea that you buy a G19 so in a true SHTF situation, you can go holster shopping easier.

His point about scavenging parts and compatibility with what others carry is valid to a point. The P320 platform is gaining enough popularity that it might apply there as well. Still though, you should be squared away well before a SHTF situation happens in terms of support.

His point about shooting other platforms better but now that he fears a true SHTF situation happening occurring, he decided to carry something that he does not shoot as well, makes no sense. Now is the time to find out what works for you and get as good with it as you can. He's changing up his carry routine to reduce his effectiveness because he thinks that he'll be able to scavenge parts for it easier than what he shoots well. Makes no logical sense.

If his point is to forget the Gucci crap and find a solid, reliable platform that you shoot well. And, stock mags and parts to get you through the next decade and then carry it daily while practicing with it at least monthly. If that's the point he is trying to make, then he's spot on. He's dead wrong about everyone switching over to the G19 at the very moment we really need to carry an effective weapon though.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Ok, I watched the video and think he's overthinking the issue. I'm not a Glock hater and happen to have my G23 on my hip today. My normal EDC is a P229 in .357 Sig though. I like my G23 and it's little brother the G33 for hot summer days.

His point about aftermarket support is not well thought out. He says that you should carry a G19 in a SHTF situation because of the availability of holsters, cheap mags and general industry support. In a SHTF situation, you better be squared away in terms of your carry options. Nobody is served by the idea that you buy a G19 so in a true SHTF situation, you can go holster shopping easier.

His point about scavenging parts and compatibility with what others carry is valid to a point. The P320 platform is gaining enough popularity that it might apply there as well. Still though, you should be squared away well before a SHTF situation happens in terms of support.

His point about shooting other platforms better but now that he fears a true SHTF situation happening occurring, he decided to carry something that he does not shoot as well, makes no sense. Now is the time to find out what works for you and get as good with it as you can. He's changing up his carry routine to reduce his effectiveness because he thinks that he'll be able to scavenge parts for it easier than what he shoots well. Makes no logical sense.

If his point is to forget the Gucci crap and find a solid, reliable platform that you shoot well. And, stock mags and parts to get you through the next decade and then carry it daily while practicing with it at least monthly. If that's the point he is trying to make, then he's spot on. He's dead wrong about everyone switching over to the G19 at the very moment we really need to carry an effective weapon though.
    I couldn't agree more. Why would I want to go to carrying something I'm not proficient with nor comfortable shooting? I've been stocking up on mags and things for a while now. If the shtf, I'm probably screwed anyway so I might as well use what I'm comfortable with.

Top Bottom