• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Without going down the thread jack rabbit hole too much, I only began casting when I discovered powder coating. Didn't like the lube or the dirt or the smoke from lubed bullets.

I believe coated boolits are more forgiving on mix than lubed. Cast/coated boolits are very close to the experience you get from plated bullets.

The only problem I had with leading was due to heavy crimping through the coating. Another issue with leading could be boolit sizing. Slightly undersized cast/coated rounds with a hot powder like Titegroup can allow gas blowby cutting of the coating. Conversely, coating being slightly breached on the occasional loading process issue seems to be overridden by a good tight seal created by properly sized boolit.

I shot a fair bit of competition and never was big on overcleaning. I typically clean when the pistol tells me to. :) When I had the leading issue, it became evident in a steel match. Accuracy went bad, real bad. It was a bit embarrassing when I got home to find the leading problem. Prolly should have looked down the tube a little more often? :ugh: Other than a PIA to clean leaded barrel and bad accuracy, there were no adverse effects on the pistol though.

Now, back to the preppers should have a G19 in the safe discussion.

:cool:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Without going down the thread jack rabbit hole too much, I only began casting when I discovered powder coating. Didn't like the lube or the dirt or the smoke from lubed bullets.

I believe coated boolits are more forgiving on mix than lubed. Cast/coated boolits are very close to the experience you get from plated bullets.

The only problem I had with leading was due to heavy crimping through the coating. Another issue with leading could be boolit sizing. Slightly undersized cast/coated rounds with a hot powder like Titegroup can allow gas blowby cutting of the coating. Conversely, coating being slightly breached on the occasional loading process issue seems to be overridden by a good tight seal created by properly sized boolit.

I shot a fair bit of competition and never was big on overcleaning. I typically clean when the pistol tells me to. :) When I had the leading issue, it became evident in a steel match. Accuracy went bad, real bad. It was a bit embarrassing when I got home to find the leading problem. Prolly should have looked down the tube a little more often? :ugh: Other than a PIA to clean leaded barrel and bad accuracy, there were no adverse effects on the pistol though.

Now, back to the preppers should have a G19 in the safe discussion.

:cool:
    Ive ordered a few tubs of the Hy-Tec Bullet coating to climb into this winter.
    It looks like it will be easier to control the thickness of the coatings.
    I tried Powder coating a few years ago and I just never happy with the differences in the coating thickness.
    Leading for the most part comes from incorrect sizing and or ****** lube.
    Just remember the days of old men did and still shoot lead putty down 34" barrels with zero leading problems. When I cast for my BPCR rifles I use 20 to 1 pure lead and a pound of tin.
    No antimony needed.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I think the 23 is a better choice than the 19.
    Barrel change gets you 357 Sig.
    Another Barrel change and mags gets you 9mm.
    Three decent calibers with one pistol.
    With the 19, you are stuck in 9mm land.

Top Bottom