• ...and so much more!
  • PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Nice setup. I use one of these for that purpose:

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...w=199&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:75

I'll take out the meat of the choil, or whatever I am shaping, then finish it up with that sander. I use a 4" craftsmen belt set up vertically with a tool rest for the rest of my profiling. Thinking about parting with my AR for a KMG though.....

I just finished putting the finishing touches on my heat treat oven though (built a PID controller box for a Paragon kiln), so I have to wait awhile until I can add another serious piece of equipment.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Man, it sounds like you are making so REALLY nice stuff. That 3v sounds like it would kill just about anything brought to the Chop-IN.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Last edited:

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    You are sure right about the drums not lasting long. That's why I have to cut the meat out first with some other type of grinder. Thinking about experimenting with mounting small grinding stones of different shapes on the spindle. If I go this route I'm going to have to dunk my piece a ton, but I do that already because I often use a 6" stone to shape my profiles.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Man, it sounds like you are making so REALLY nice stuff. That 3v sounds like it would kill just about anything brought to the Chop-IN.

your confused on how cutting works lol. people are competing in cutting competitions with w2. the most common and often considered the best is M4. CMP3V is a great steel though. it holds it's edge for a very long time.

However cutting competition work is more about the grind and technique than anything else sir :) full flat FTW.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Cutting and chopping are different. Those cutting comps are a lot more complicated than just chopping. Crazy variables and things going on!

And what about a full flat ground piece of 3V... Say about 12" blade...... Tip reinforced a bit.... For when you can't quite reach that top branch that needs gone...... That might be kind of awesome....

;)

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    As to grinders:

KMG is the standard right now. But if someone put a KMG and a TW90 in front and said "pick one. Free." I would grab that TW90 and run!

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Hmm, this thing looks like it can configure and do the same job as the E-48 as well, right? This might be worth my time. I'm just home for lunch glancing at it, but you've got me interested now.

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Well honestly I'd kinda take the two KMGs. I have extra motors, extra controllers, extra pulleys... And the two of them could still be kept below the cost of that TW-90. But obviously that's first impression, I still need to learn more about this one. The prospect of a surface grinding attachment makes me jump at the idea of the TW.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i use a TW90 at Curtiss Knives when i go up there.... talk about sweet. but if i could get 2 KMGs instead... i would probly do that! especially with Curtiss' rotating wheel attachment. having 4 different sizes available at all time.... even the TW isn't that flexable..... add in a ADM work rest and you are set to "AWESOME" from the word go.

Top Bottom