Evidently, carrying guns doesn't prevent rape for women.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Altering the mindset of the next generation to respect women is the only permanent way to reduce violent sexual acts.

We used to do that but you and your fellow travellers called it "chauvinism" and "outdated".

When you crumble the cake of custom you accept the responsibility for what replaces it.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Rape has been a fact of life since the first animals came into being.
    The ONLY effective means to prevent rape is the violent resistance by the female victim, or the violent intervention by a male or female who abhors rape.
    This is true of ALL animals.
    Some males will never back down from the act of forcible rape unless they are put to death.
    I agree with that solution!!!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    To be honest, I'd like to hear what some of the female members on here have to say about that article.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    "But how would Quigley respond to the 22,800 violent sexual crimes that took place in the military in 2011, despite the fact that the victims went through basic training?"

Easy - contrary to popular belief, most people in the military AREN'T running around with loaded guns all the time, and in fact, on base, such behavior is often prohibited.

I'll take a gun now, and work on changing everyone's mindset later thank you very much.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's bad enough all the :poop: the left shoves down our throats. But it really gets my blood up when they are willing to sacrifice a woman or a child's safety just to further their agenda.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    The article's real point that we should aim for a total reduction of violence in society is a valid one. Exaggerating to say that people don't need to be aware of their surroundings or don't need defensive options, is not valid.

By the way, I do know of some women who wouldn't need guns to prevent rape. One of them was on the national olympic judo team. We trained in the same school. I pity the fool who tries to get between her legs.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    I think "try it and you die" is a pretty effective way to curb such behavior.

Sure teach people to respect others. Also teach them not to steal. Oh wait.....we already do. Always have. That works perfectly.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Sure teach people to respect others. Also teach them not to steal. Oh wait.....we already do.

I don't doubt you, but we don't do that as a society. We catch the little thieves, but the big thieves run rampant in our country. Heck, when they are about to go under, we have to hand over our tax dollars to rescue them. As for respecting one another, have you heard pop music or seen a TV show lately?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The article's real point that we should aim for a total reduction of violence in society is a valid one.

I agree. The reality is that we will always have crime, we will always have criminals. As already stated, rape has been a crime in every generation, the unrealistic assumption in this article is that it would ever go away, no matter how much respect there is for women on the part of most men, there will always be predators. When (and where) we stop penalizing citizens for defending themselves, and stop impeding the ability of citizens to defend themselves, we have also seen a reduction in the amount of violence.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    The article's real point that we should aim for a total reduction of violence in society is a valid one. Exaggerating to say that people don't need to be aware of their surroundings or don't need defensive options, is not valid.

By the way, I do know of some women who wouldn't need guns to prevent rape. One of them was on the national olympic judo team. We trained in the same school. I pity the fool who tries to get between her legs.
    Well I guess we can teach every female to fight judo style and they wouldn't need guns :dunno:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Well I guess we can teach every female to fight judo style and they wouldn't need guns :dunno:

Not everyone -- male or female -- can get proficient at unarmed fighting. Not everyone has the time, talent, and energy. Not everyone can develop a fighter's mindset. Not everyone will fight the death to protect themselves.

One could say that also applies to guns, too. Ownership doesn't imply you know anything about using it, or that you are capable of fighting. Sometimes I look into the eyes of gun enthusiasts, and I get the distinct feeling that they haven't been forged on the mat, that they aren't fighters. It's not clear to me what they will do in an real dangerous situation. I wouldn't think that of the women I speak of. But gun ownership is something everyone can do, and people are lulled into a false sense of security. On the mat, you quickly find out whether or not you are a fighter on the inside, and how well you fight.

I guess what I'm talking about is the mental attitude. The Japanese have a term for it, which translates into something like "forging of the spirit." No, you don't need guns to protect yourself BECAUSE YOU CANNOT BE DEPENDENT ON ANYTHING EXCEPT YOURSELF to protect yourself. Having a gun is a plus, but you have to keep fighting even if you don't have one. If we can teach people that, they'll look for defensive options themselves (including firearms).

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Not everyone -- male or female -- can get proficient at unarmed fighting. Not everyone has the time, talent, and energy. Not everyone can develop a fighter's mindset. Not everyone will fight the death to protect themselves.

One could say that also applies to guns, too. Ownership doesn't imply you know anything about using it, or that you are capable of fighting. Sometimes I look into the eyes of gun enthusiasts, and I get the distinct feeling that they haven't been forged on the mat, that they aren't fighters. It's not clear to me what they will do in an real dangerous situation. I wouldn't think that of the women I speak of. But gun ownership is something everyone can do, and people are lulled into a false sense of security. On the mat, you quickly find out whether or not you are a fighter on the inside, and how well you fight.

I guess what I'm talking about is the mental attitude. The Japanese have a term for it, which translates into something like "forging of the spirit." No, you don't need guns to protect yourself BECAUSE YOU CANNOT BE DEPENDENT ON ANYTHING EXCEPT YOURSELF to protect yourself. Having a gun is a plus, but you have to keep fighting even if you don't have one. If we can teach people that, they'll look for defensive options themselves (including firearms).
    Well I was kidding about that. It was really a smart a$$ remark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo

...The Japanese have a term for it, which translates into something like "forging of the spirit."

精神鍛錬 (Seishin tanren) in case anyone is taking notes... :cool: :ingo:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The article's real point that we should aim for a total reduction of violence in society is a valid one.
    I completely disagree. It's not valid because it's not realistic. Nor is it possible if you want to allow people to remain free and autonomous individuals. There will never be a time in human history, based on the last 1.6 million years of bipedalism, when the use of force against another human won't exist.

My take on the article: she's a misanthrope to the core. And is killing two birds with one stone: she gets to wax eloquent about her ideal future while demonizing the tool she loves to hate. I have but one question for the dear author: how many women are being raped every day while she parades around on her soap box pretending she has all the answers? *snort* if she really supported women, she'd be demanding every tool in the tool box be at their disposal to prevent them from becoming a victim. This high road bull**** is insulting. I'm betting she'd sing a different tune if she were the one that got raped. That gun wouldn't look so band-aid-ish then, would it?

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Ok, so I'm a week late to the dance on this but I had to add this...

Her comment "The most effective way to reduce instances of violent sexual crimes is to eradicate a culture in which rape is acceptable, even though it’s not the easiest method." Remind me again, don't we live in a country where rape is against the law? Think of it this way: when you are going camping for three days do you not plan thoroughly and equip yourself properly? When you head off for a road trip do you not gather everything you will need? Then why would anyone expect a woman or man to venture outside their castle without anything less then what they would need to face any attacker. Seems being properly trained and armed can prevent or assist during any attack. I agree that is seems she is arguing that guns are ineffective in the area of rape prevention, and her argument may have merit.

If there is a perp looking for a target and he sees a woman walking to her car with her nose in her cell phone and another woman OC'ing a Glock...I'm guessing he will pick the one who looks like a target and not pick 88GT. When facing a world of predators, don't look like prey.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Her comment "The most effective way to reduce instances of violent sexual crimes is to eradicate a culture in which rape is acceptable, even though it’s not the easiest method." Remind me again, don't we live in a country where rape is against the law?

Law is not the same thing as culture. In fact, sometimes a law is legislated to counteract culture.

I know a number of rape victims. They found the process of coming forward and reporting the rape much worse than the rape itself. It amounted to a form of public humiliation, and in one case her classmates from school started calling her a "slut." We think that we've moved on from a culture that shames the victim; we haven't. Supposedly a large number of rapes never get reported. That would agree with my experience to an extent -- at the end, none of these women pressed charges because they couldn't take it anymore. If we intimidate and shame the rape victims into shutting up, our culture basically sides with rapists.

By the way, I also know of one armed woman who got raped. So, no, "carrying guns doesn't prevent rape for women."

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Law is not the same thing as culture. In fact, sometimes a law is legislated to counteract culture.

Unless you're claiming that there is a culture of rape in America, then in this case the law mirrors acceptable norms, and those who violate it are unlikely to respond to more education. Ah, if only someone had taught Nigel that rape is a no-no. Or Jeff Dahmer that cannibalism is a bad thing.

And if there is a culture of rape, then good luck educating it out of people.

By the way, I also know of one armed woman who got raped. So, no, "carrying guns doesn't prevent rape for women."

The exception proves the rule. As in tests/disproves. I would guess an armed woman is less likely to be raped than your judo friend. Wasn't there just a case in the national media where a female black belt was raped in a parking garage, and testified that she believed had she been allowed to carry, she felt she would have been able to end the attack in her favor. And of course the left chortled that if she wasn't prepared to use her unarmed skills, how would a gun have helped. Are you sure you're not doing the same here?

Top Bottom