Ex-Illinois resident walks into the gun store . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was sitting in C.N.I. Gun Shop in downtown Crown Point this afternoon filling out transfers papers for a mid-1980s Detonic Combat Master MC2 variant in 45acp. A couple stools over was some youngish biker dude wearing leathers and a ZZ Top style beard playing with his Taurus PT145 and chatting with one of the guys behind the counter. Chuck, the owner was busting my chops because I didn't bring in cash and he wanted to head to the bar across the square and was short on cash. So in walks an early 30's clean cut Mexican fella and he announces "I want to apply for my F.O.I.D. card" and we all look at him. Almost in unison we say: You must have just moved here from Illinois!!! Uh, yea he says rather sheepishly. Chuck reaches over the counter to shake his hand and says WELCOME TO THE LAND OF FREEDOM!

This guy didn't quite know what the heck to do!!! So we start talking to him, and we are all very different. Chuck is a big guy wearing a T-shirt and camo pants, gun on his hip. The biker dude looks like a guy you'd want to avoid, but turns out to be a really nice guy, probably younger than he looks and in his mid-late 20s. I'm clean cut, wearing a pressed shirt, and generally professional looking. Keith, the guy behind the counter, is a skinny guy wearing flannel and jeans and all of us just join in to talk to this guy.

It didn't take long to figure out he was shopping for his first gun, was looking for a carry permit, didn't know much about anything, but really wanted to learn. Biker dude clears his PT145 and I clear the Detonics and we show him the differences between a DA/SA and a SA gun. I ask for a Sig P series from under the glass and a full size, fully loaded Para target pistols.

I show him the action differences, we talk about various things and I head home to get dinner. Not sure what the outcome was, but he turned out to be a nice guy who was so confused by laws because Illinois is such an oppressive state that it was a real eye opener to be in a state with sane gun laws. We gave him directions to the sheriff's office to get his carry permit, told him to call first so he had the money orders made out in advance, and I think he may end up with something like the PT145.

What was nice is that such very diverse people can get together and have such a friendly conversation. It was also nice to see a former Illinois resident have his eyes opened to sane gun laws!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Uh, no. I didn't really have enough time with him to go over everything I would have liked to because my wife called asking when I'd be home for dinner. The biker dude headed over to the bar to grab a drink with Chuck and Chuck's wife and another customer came, picked some stuff up and left, so I took off and left him with Keith, who can actually sell him a gun.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Uh, no. I didn't really have enough time with him to go over everything I would have liked to because my wife called asking when I'd be home for dinner. The biker dude headed over to the bar to grab a drink with Chuck and Chuck's wife and another customer came, picked some stuff up and left, so I took off and left him with Keith, who can actually sell him a gun.

That's an outstanding story! I really had to comment on the portion of the story, though, where your wife called and told you that you couldn't play with your friends anymore because it was time to come home for dinner. :D

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    What's the saying? It's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission?

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    In Illinois, and in some other very restrictive states, there is a FIREARMS OWNERS IDENTIFICATION Card. F.O.I.D. card.

To buy a gun in Illinois you go and apply for a F.O.I.D. card, pay your fee and wait about 6 weeks to get your card. ONLY AFTER you have your FOID card are you allowed to begin the process of buying a weapon. So after your 6 week waiting period you then go to the gun store where you pick out your gun, submit to your background checks, pay for your gun, and then you have ANOTHER waiting period. It varies by type of gun you buy, but figure 3 to 7 additional days.

I believe you have to renew your FOID card ever few years. If you don't then all the guns you own legally may be considered illegal weapons. Illinois is a great state! They lost common sense years ago.

Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    In Illinois, and in some other very restrictive states, there is a FIREARMS OWNERS IDENTIFICATION Card. F.O.I.D. card.

To buy a gun in Illinois you go and apply for a F.O.I.D. card, pay your fee and wait about 6 weeks to get your card. ONLY AFTER you have your FOID card are you allowed to begin the process of buying a weapon. So after your 6 week waiting period you then go to the gun store where you pick out your gun, submit to your background checks, pay for your gun, and then you have ANOTHER waiting period. It varies by type of gun you buy, but figure 3 to 7 additional days.

I believe you have to renew your FOID card ever few years. If you don't then all the guns you own legally may be considered illegal weapons. Illinois is a great state! They lost common sense years ago.

PROUD TO BE A HOOSIER:rockwoot::lmfao:

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Hey, all!

I'm a refugee from the "People's Republic of Illinois", myself. I still have my old, expired FOID card. It's always good for a laugh.

It was especially rediculous, since you were required to present your FOID card to buy ammo, or (and I'm not making this up) EVEN TOUCH A GUN IN THE STORE!

I was the butt of the joke when I moved to Alabama. Went into a gun shop and asked the proprietor what permit I needed to purchase ammo. He laughed and said, "You're here, aren't ya?!"

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    It was especially rediculous, since you were required to present your FOID card to buy ammo, or (and I'm not making this up) EVEN TOUCH A GUN IN THE STORE!

I had heard that Illinois shops required presenting a FOID card to pick up a gun, but I didn't believe it. Until now.

What surprises me is that most of the Illinois residents I know are actually pretty strongly pro-gun, most of the state is pro-gun, pro-hunting. Then there is that great anti-gun cancer named Chicago and it dominates the state with its insane laws, and it has the political clout to impose its will on the rest of the state.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    What surprises me is that most of the Illinois residents I know are actually pretty strongly pro-gun, most of the state is pro-gun, pro-hunting.
    True. It's strange how in Illinois, I could drive 15-20 minutes in any direction, and be at an indoor shooting range. In the states I've lived with less restrictive gun laws and CCW, I can't find a good indoor range within a reasonable distance. :dunno:

What's the mayer's name up there? Daley?
    Maybe Obama ought to choose him for a running mate?
    Well, Daley is endorsing Mr. B. Hussein Obama for the Democratic nomination. I believe it's only because Daley thinks it's spelled "O'Bama", and that he's endorsing a nice Irish-Catholic boy. Daley is an idiot.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch

Yep, pretty much. I've started to view the FOID card as something that was just there so that the ISP would know whose doors to kick down when King Daley and Prince Rod get their way (but do you see them without armed protective details?). Illinois would be much better off if a certain piece of real estate and its politicians slid into Lake Michigan[/rant]

After experiencing the gun culture in Indiana, I decided I wouldn't accept any positions in Illinois, California, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, or D.C. after school. I've met several people in my time here in IN (specifically while out at the range that ended up being like a second home to me) that probably forged my way of thinking on a lot of things and I'm grateful for it. I didn't want to leave Indiana, but I hope I can come back in a few years after I get some experience in the field . . . plus I doubt there's anyone as entertaining as Rhino at the Florida USPSA matches.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Illinois would be much better off if a certain piece of real estate and its politicians slid into Lake Michigan.

Why pollute Lake Michigan? Besides, if the recent earthquakes are any indication, Illinois is about to be attacked by Mole Men anyway.

Top Bottom