• ...and so much more!
  • Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    Okay, here's one.

For those of you who run or jog -- do you carry? What do you carry at those times? Is it lighter/smaller than what you usually carry? How do you do so?

And if you go to the gym -- then what? Gym lockers don't have real locks most of the time -- not that I'd trust, anyway. Do you disarm and lock your carry piece in the car, or do you carry it on the treadmill and on the weight bench?

I'm trying to get into shape, and these are questions I find myself thinking about.

Tony

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I work out at home. I also go out running and biking.
    My workouts are too extreme to be able to carry a gun. And, IMO, everyone else that works out should be doing extreme workouts as well.

If you are wanting to have something in your pocket, well, I carry a flashlight in my pocket while I'm running. Attach some paracord, and you have something to swing at the threat. Also a hard blunt object to smash some skulls with.

Leave the gun in the car or at home. If you're working out, you're trying to get into shape. Keep the workouts too extreme to have anything in your pocket.

Plus, in the gym, you have weapons everywhere. Throw dumb bells or Olympic plates at the threat. I prefer using the 45's. ;)

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I can't stand anything on me when I run. I usually do 3.6 - 5 miles outdoors at 7:00 to 8:00 pace, depending on the intensity desired. There is no way I would carry while doing that. Even a wristwatch bugs me.

For indoor workouts, I tend to run faster pace for timed durations (25, 30, or 35 minutes) followed by appropriate weights depending on days. I still could not see carrying in any way while doing it. I agree that workouts should be a time to not worry about it.

Lock it up in the car.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My main workout is playing drums. I just keep it on for that

I take it off for situps and pushups.

That probably doesn't help a whole lot though.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I run outdoors all year round, as well as compete in several races a year.

What works best for me is to wear a hydration belt with a small pouch:
    Amphipod Rapid Access Pouches - Bounce-free, moisture protected pouches with AirFlow mesh breathability.

In that pouch I carry a small .22 Mag Pug from N.A.A.:
    North American Arms PUG-T 1" BARREL TRITIUM SIGHTS

It's the only firearm that I have used while running that is small and light enough that it doesn't bounce around and drive me crazy.

As for the effectiveness of .22 Mag? Well, It's certainly better than nothing. Everything else has been so bulky and bouncy as to be irritating while running. I even thought my small LCP was too large for the job.

You could even use this setup on an indoor treadmill and no one would have any idea that you are armed. My:twocents:...

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I work out at home. I also go out running and biking.
    My workouts are too extreme to be able to carry a gun. And, IMO, everyone else that works out should be doing extreme workouts as well.

;)
    I kinda agree with this. A gun on me during a workout would be all over the place. If it's a gym where you need a gun inside go to a different gym. To and from the gym, yes in the car. On a jog I sometimes carry an ASP..I'm usually more worried about dogs than people and I can just whack either.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ive been thing about open carrying a full size .45 while biking on my camelbaks belt. That or strap a ar to my back. While at the gym I really cant carry at all as it would be smart to rock climb and have the extra weight and IDK even want to think howll youll CC at a pool.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I carry my ruger LCP on my shorts when Im running. It doesn't move around and doesn't weigh much. Only downside is it gets sweat on it gotta be careful so it doesn't rust

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    work out at home?

No, I'm thinking at a gym. I have a treadmill here, but no room for anything like a weight machine or other cool stuff.

I can't stand anything on me when I run. I usually do 3.6 - 5 miles outdoors at 7:00 to 8:00 pace, depending on the intensity desired. There is no way I would carry while doing that. Even a wristwatch bugs me.

Don't they usually call that "streaking"? :D

What works best for me is to wear a hydration belt with a small pouch:
    Amphipod Rapid Access Pouches - Bounce-free, moisture protected pouches with AirFlow mesh breathability.

In that pouch I carry a small .22 Mag Pug from N.A.A.:
    North American Arms PUG-T 1" BARREL TRITIUM SIGHTS

Both good ideas, thanks. Actually, I have one of these. Nice idea again. :)

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    My treadmill is in my "mancave". I also have about 300 movies to watch. Too much hard concrete can hurt you.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can barely stand to have my mp3 player on me while I run. No way the BG380 is coming with me.

I don't have anything on me to steal while I'm running, anyway, and I'm not exactly the first choice for raping, so I just go without.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    "by law; conforming to the law"

My gym is in a no no zone.

What he means is it is not illegal for you to carry in the gym. It is against the gym's policy for members to carry firearms, which would mean, should they ask you to leave for violating the policy and you refuse, you would at that point only be trespassing.

Unless your gym has a courthouse...

Top Bottom