• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    So I'm up late this evening and nothing really sounded good for a late night / early morning snack so I decided to have me some scrambled eggs.

Granted its past 3 so I'm a bit tired. I cracked open a couple eggs, added a dash of salt and pepper and then the milk.

Not really in the mood to go the stove top route so took the easy path to the microwave.

As it was doing its thing I happened to glance at the milk and noticed the sell by date was July 3rd...

Now the milk smelled fine and I must say the eggs are tasting pretty good as i type.

But it had me thinking. When does food really expire?

Milk with a sell by 20+ days ago throws a flag to me.. ( I will fill you in with how I feel in the morning ;) )

Anyone found a good site with how long food really lasts?

Sell by and expires by is two entirely different things in my head.

Thoughts / comments appreciated.

Now back to my late night snack.

Cheers

IndyPrepper

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've read on alot of sites that the expire date is pretty random. Basically the idea is to have you throw out perfectly good food so you buy more.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I've had some trouble at work with milk expiring well before its expiration date. As much as two weeks early. At home my milk (and other food) lasts just fine. I think expiration dates are best guesses taking into account the type of product, the conditions the food is likely to encounter in its trip from manufacture through spoilage, and the consequences of it spoiling. For example, milk is dated much more conservatively than chips, since spoils easily and can make you very sick while stale chips are just chewy.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Storage temp has alot to do with it. My wife seems to think the brand has a bit to do with it as well. I cant say, milk never seems to last more than a week in my house.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They just talked about this on " The Doctor's" show this morning. They said with milk it's good 7 days after expiration then throw it out. Eggs- 3-5weeks after expiration.

Bread- if you see mold, throw it away immediately.
    cheese- cut the mold off and you're good.

They also gave definitions of what certain terms meant.

" Sell by" means stores can't put it on their shelves after that date.
    " Use by" this is the last day a food should be used or consumed.
    " Best if used by" this has more to do with taste and quality and manufactors won't guarantee taste and quality after that date.

I guess the best advice would be, Use you best judgement. If it smell funny, pitch it!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I absolutely hate spoiled milk. There's nothing worse than wanting some milk or chocolate milk and then getting that sour taste you can't get out of your mouth. If it's past it's date or got warm at all I pitch it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    They just talked about this on " The Doctor's" show this morning. They said with milk it's good 7 days after expiration then throw it out. Eggs- 3-5weeks after expiration.

Bread- if you see mold, throw it away immediately.
    cheese- cut the mold off and you're good.

They also gave definitions of what certain terms meant.

" Sell by" means stores can't put it on their shelves after that date.
    " Use by" this is the last day a food should be used or consumed.
    " Best if used by" this has more to do with taste and quality and manufactors won't guarantee taste and quality after that date.

I guess the best advice would be, Use you best judgement. If it smell funny, pitch it!

Eh? I'd have thought you could just cut it away like with cheese. Did they say why bread has to be thrown away?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Milk that smells bad isn't even bad. It's the crusty stuff around the cap that stinks.

We regularly drink milk past the "expiration" date.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Eh? I'd have thought you could just cut it away like with cheese. Did they say why bread has to be thrown away?

Ergot poisoning. Although I don't think it really effects white bread - if what they sell in the stores as "white bread" is really even bread.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    On milk, go check a gallon of the regular stuff, then go look at the Horizon organics, it's amazing. I've bought milk with 6wks until the 'expiration date'. And, I can honestly say, since we've been buying organic, I've never had a jug of milk go south on me.

On a tangent to this, I always sniff the jug before I pour, like compulsively. My wife makes fun of me, but it's rooted in a real event. Going to work one early morning I stopped at the mini mart and got some hostess donut gems and a small jug of Quik chocolate milk. Standing behind the counter at work, I shoved 3 or 4 donuts in my mouth, popped the top on the milk and took a big gulp to wash the donuts down...

:puke: The milk was old, lumpy, and sour. I horked in the trashcan, lost every bit of appetite, and barely made it through the day.

Ever since, all milk gets the sniff test before it touches my lips.

Top Bottom