• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    On milk, go check a gallon of the regular stuff, then go look at the Horizon organics, it's amazing. I've bought milk with 6wks until the 'expiration date'. And, I can honestly say, since we've been buying organic, I've never had a jug of milk go south on me.

On a tangent to this, I always sniff the jug before I pour, like compulsively. My wife makes fun of me, but it's rooted in a real event. Going to work one early morning I stopped at the mini mart and got some hostess donut gems and a small jug of Quik chocolate milk. Standing behind the counter at work, I shoved 3 or 4 donuts in my mouth, popped the top on the milk and took a big gulp to wash the donuts down...

:puke: The milk was old, lumpy, and sour. I horked in the trashcan, lost every bit of appetite, and barely made it through the day.

Ever since, all milk gets the sniff test before it touches my lips.

I have had a similar experience. Nice big gulp of nasty, chunky stuff. Didn't heave my breakfast, but I respect the expiration dates now.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    On milk, go check a gallon of the regular stuff, then go look at the Horizon organics, it's amazing. I've bought milk with 6wks until the 'expiration date'. And, I can honestly say, since we've been buying organic, I've never had a jug of milk go south on me.

On a tangent to this, I always sniff the jug before I pour, like compulsively. My wife makes fun of me, but it's rooted in a real event. Going to work one early morning I stopped at the mini mart and got some hostess donut gems and a small jug of Quik chocolate milk. Standing behind the counter at work, I shoved 3 or 4 donuts in my mouth, popped the top on the milk and took a big gulp to wash the donuts down...

:puke: The milk was old, lumpy, and sour. I horked in the trashcan, lost every bit of appetite, and barely made it through the day.

Ever since, all milk gets the sniff test before it touches my lips.

Had that happen one morning with a pint off the gut truck. I switched to OJ or coffee after that.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    I've found that strawberry milk has sufficient flavoring/sugar to mask the taste of bad milk well as much as two to three weeks past the expiration date. Diluting the 'bad' strawberry milk further mitigates that bad milk taste.

The solution to pollution is dilution.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For the the milk it depends if the bottle is open or not.
    You can keep it for weeks when it's close but once you open it you have to keep it in your fridge and should use it before a couple of days.

The date on products is not very important, I know some stores that sale only products with expired dates (they are much cheaper than non expired ones and taste just as good).
    It really depends on the product and how you store it.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It depends a great deal not only on how cold you keep your fridge (mine is at 34-35 degrees), but on how warm the milk has ever been, how long it's been warm, and how fresh it was when you got it at the store. The temperature the store had it at is critical as well.

We used to get milk from the Kroger right around the corner from us (before it went out of business), and the milk would go bad in a week or less. We now get it from Sam's Club, which is about 10-15 minutes away depending on traffic, and that milk stays good for the better part of a month.

I agree with the other posts here though--if is smells good, it is... if it smells bad, the only thing drinking it ought to be the sink! :twocents:

Top Bottom