• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Yeah, really. Go out and use your gear. Its this cold right now. Go to the range and test your gear right now. How can anyone on here tell you how your pistol will work with the lube you use, and the ammo you're carrying? They can't, but you can go out right now and find out. You don't even need a special underground lab. You just need an outdoor range.

Did I mention anywhere in the OP that I wasn't confident in MY ccw? NO.
    Did I mention anywhere in the OP that I wasn't confident in MY lube? NO.
    I asked what everyone else did, if anything at all.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Did I mention anywhere in the OP that I wasn't confident in MY ccw? NO. Did I mention anywhere in the OP that I wasn't confident in MY lube? NO. I asked what everyone else did, if anything at all.

Who are you to judge what "proficient" is to me? I, quite frankly, don't give a damn how many rounds you feel like YOU need. But don't be some internet commando telling others what they "need to do" with their ccw to be proficient with it. Opinions are like *******s, we all have one. And I didn't ask for yours.

I am sorry you are so easily offended. It was not my intention to offend or upset you. You did ask my opinion. You came to a forum where I am a member and asked what people do. I assumed, as a member of the forum, my response was as welcome as any other. When I come to a new situation and I want to know how my stuff will work, I go out and test it. That's what I do. I tend to think that is the opposite of being an "internet commando". Maybe I'm fuzzy on the definition of the term.

I didn't make any judgement about your skill level. I don't know anything about you, your comfort level, or your capabilities. If I used the term "you" I meant it in a general way to address all people who carry a gun to protect themselves. Nothing was aimed at you personally except that I think the best way to answer your question is to go out and test it. When I said that, you came back with an incredulous response basically indicating that testing in these conditions was impossible, and shooting a lot is impossible for the average person. I am putting forth that it is not. It is a matter of priorities. Maybe my 10k round number was lofty, but it wasn't some hard number. And it wasn't expected that it be reached overnight. The number of rounds isn't the point. It is that testing yourself and your equipment in the conditions is important and it requires some actual experience.

I'm not telling you what you need to do. I'm telling you what I think is the best way to answer the question. I'm telling you what I would do. I go out and shoot and see how my stuff works. I've found that what I'm doing about the cold (nothing different) works just fine. Your mileage may vary. Maybe doing nothing will work just fine for you too. Maybe it wont. I know how you can find out... But you don't want to hear it. :)

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Does he bust in like the A team with some half modified sks and hold the trigger while spraying it like a garden hose, then all the badguys just fall over dead??

If so, thatd be cool...

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Jackson, the Internet Commando. . . . love it! ;)

Does he bust in like the A team with some half modified sks and hold the trigger while spraying it like a garden hose, then all the badguys just fall over dead??

If so, thatd be cool...

That would be pretty cool. I think it would be awesome to be Hannibal Smith. The best part is when I use 12ga diamond plate steel as armor against .50cal machine guns and make it work. Its all in how you weld it to the tractor. I actually use a stainless Mini 14 most of the time.

500px-Mini14gb-f.jpg

But sometimes I use an AK like this:
    500px-A_Team_S4_AKM.jpg

Wrong he is a wannabe "gamer"

I'm actually not anybody. I'm not a commando or a gamer or an anything or anybody. I give much respect to the "gamers" who put in the time and the effort to reach the skill levels they achieve. I think there is a ton to learn from those folks. I'm over in the T&T forum trying to learn from some of them now.

I'm just a guy who likes to shoot. I'm also a guy who takes carrying a gun seriously enough to get off the computer and go see how my stuff works and how I work with my stuff. That was basically the point I was trying to make.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes I Jackson I know. I was making a tongue in cheek reference to you being a gamer. Should have used purple. I am also aware that you are not a commando or super cool operator. Did not mean to suggest otherwise.

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    Shot my deer this year in below zero weather after hours of sitting. Gun was lubed up with Rem oil. Have never had any problems in cold weather.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    do you every day carry your deer rifle? If so, cool......

I think he was commenting on a gun in general being exposed to the cold. What I am more interested in is the type of rifle. For instance a bolt action rifle would be less prone to failure then say a semi auto or lever action gun. Pistols are either revolvers or autos with more moving parts then a lot of deer rifles.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I know he was, I was busting his chops for posting about a deer rifle when the thread is about EDC, not that we ever stay on topic in ANY thread on INGO, that just how we roll.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I'm not telling you what you need to do. I'm telling you what I think is the best way to answer the question. I'm telling you what I would do. I go out and shoot and see how my stuff works. I've found that what I'm doing about the cold (nothing different) works just fine. Your mileage may vary. Maybe doing nothing will work just fine for you too. Maybe it wont. I know how you can find out... But you don't want to hear it. :)

+1
    One of the more reasoned responses I've heard. Wish I'd have said this a time or two!

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Use CLP or any other Mil Spec oil rated for low temperature. There are many excellent choices. Carrying CCW will keep you handgun warm enough. You cellular telephone has a bigger problem with the cold. Consider that a LEO on duty carries his or her firearm exposed to the elements knowing it has to work without any issue.

I have not had any problems with the cold while carrying a Glock in almost 30 years. I have been in temperatures as cold (and colder) than the recent arctic blast and it environments extremely hot & humid. A little lubrication and it will function 100% (just don't try shooting underwater with a unmodified Glock).

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I carry OWB but under my coat...so no issues there! I've left my Glocks (& Ruger SP101) in vehicles in the winter months (while at work) for several years...no issues here! Usually, when I get back out to the vehicle, I put the pistol in a coat pocket to warm it up...mainly for comfort! Glocks passed the cold test back in '84 when they were first tested by the Austrian Army!

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    I know he was, I was busting his chops for posting about a deer rifle when the thread is about EDC, not that we ever stay on topic in ANY thread on INGO, that just how we roll.

I was just commenting on oil or actions working in the cold. At some point an edc could be exposed to extreme cold and or snow/freezing rain. Do guns go bang in these extremes and do actions work in these extremes, my experience is yes.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My spare mag (Glock-22 15 rd .40) was not frozen last I checked. I was going to take my G-22 trunk gun to POPS this morning and see if it was frozen, but decided the roads still wern't worth it. My two surefire flashlights in the car were dead. Will see if they come on after a warm up.

Top Bottom