• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Now now, don't get all butt hurt about it.

People are all up in arms about how this guy is going to fund his legal defense.

I'm simply pointing out that it's a shell game regardless of where the funds come from they all initiate in the private sector.

Actually they all initiate at the Federal Reserve.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The FOP isn't paying for his defense. I am. The FOP dues come from wages that come from taxes.

You put your location as Plainfield. That is in Hendricks county. IMPD is in Marion county. Unless I'm mistaken, your taxes don't pay for **** in Marion county. So the argument that your taxes pay my salary or Bisard's FOP lawyer is B.S.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    How does it matter what police officers choose to spend their earned salary on?

Last edited:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I have to agree with Kirk that this whole mess needs a thorough Grand Jury investigation. Perhaps I'm being overly cynical, but I don't think I'll be holding my breath until I see that happen.

What I'm wondering is if there will be a Wrongful Death civil suit following the criminal prodeedings. I'm not well-versed enough in legal nuances to know how an acquittal on a criminal charge would affect the possible filing when an "on-the-clock" .gov employee is involved, but I'm pretty certain that any other citizen would find themselves facing one under almost any set of similar circumstances.

While I must acknowlege, given the legal realities so far as I understand them, why the FOP might be obligated to pay for his representaion in the criminal matter, I have to wonder if they would be similarly obligated in any ensuing civil litigation.

Can you enlighten me, Kirk?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I should start up the FONKM. Fraternal Order of Not the King's Men. It would represent people like Liberty Sanders and Walter Zoomie in their bs cases. I could even donate money to political candidates. I wonder how long I would be able to keep the not for profit status.

Heavy_G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Below is the text of the Rules and Regulations regarding the illegal use of amateur radio and frequencies. I would hope that the IMPD officers are using commercial licenses and callsigns otherwise they would still be in violation of the FEDERAL law.

Compatriot G, you are fully correct in what you are saying just trying to help you bring the point home.

Code:
    [URL="http://www.arrl.org/part-97-amateur-radio#"]§97.113 Prohibited transmissions. [/URL]                                                               (a) No amateur station shall transmit:[INDENT] (1) Communications specifically prohibited elsewhere in this Part; 

(2) Communications for hire or for material compensation, direct or  indirect, paid or promised, except as otherwise provided in these rules;         

(3) Communications in which the station licensee or control operator has  a pecuniary interest, including communications on behalf of an  employer, with the following exceptions:

(i) A station licensee or control station operator may participate on  behalf of an employer in an emergency preparedness or disaster readiness  test or drill, limited to the duration and scope of such test or drill,  and operational testing immediately prior to such test or drill. Tests  or drills that are not government-sponsored are limited to a total time  of one hour per week; except that no more than twice in any calendar  year, they may be conducted for a period not to exceed 72 hours.
    (ii) An amateur operator may notify other amateur operators of the  availability for sale or trade of apparatus normally used in an amateur  station, provided that such activity is not conducted on a regular  basis.
    (iii) A control operator may accept compensation as an incident of a  teaching position during periods of time when an amateur station is used  by that teacher as a part of classroom instruction at an educational  institution.
    (iv) The control operator of a club station may accept compensation for  the periods of time when the station is transmitting telegraphy practice  or information bulletins, provided that the station transmits such  telegraphy practice and bulletins for at least 40 hours per week;  schedules operations on at least six amateur service MF and HF bands  using reasonable measures to maximize coverage; where the schedule of  normal operating times and frequencies is published at least 30 days in  advance of the actual transmissions; and where the control operator does  not accept any direct or indirect compensation for any other service as  a control operator.

(4) Music using a phone emission except as specifically provided  elsewhere in this section; communications intended to facilitate a  criminal act; messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their  meaning, except as otherwise provided herein; obscene or indecent words  or language; or false or deceptive messages, signals or identification;         

(5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be furnished alternatively through other radio services.
     [/INDENT](b) An amateur station shall not engage in any form of broadcasting,  nor may an amateur station transmit one-way communications except as  specifically provided in these rules; nor shall an amateur station  engage in any activity related to program production or news gathering  for broadcasting purposes, except that communications directly related  to the immediate safety of human life or the protection of property may  be provided by amateur stations to broadcasters for dissemination to the  public where no other means of communication is reasonably available  before or at the time of the event.
     (c) No station shall retransmit programs or signals emanating from  any type of radio station other than an amateur station, except  propagation and weather forecast information intended for use by the  general public and originated from United States Government stations,  and communications, including incidental music, originating on United  States Government frequencies between a manned spacecraft and its  associated Earth stations. Prior approval for manned spacecraft  communications retransmissions must be obtained from the National  Aeronautics and Space Administration. Such retransmissions must be for  the exclusive use of amateur radio operators. Propagation, weather  forecasts, and manned spacecraft communications retransmissions may not  be conducted on a regular basis, but only occasionally, as an incident  of normal amateur radio communications.
     (d) No amateur station, except an auxiliary, repeater or space  station, may automatically retransmit the radio signals of other amateur  stations.
    I was just wondering, what frequency did the officer "license" from the FCC? If it is an amateur frequency, then this is not a true statement. An individual can't "license" an amateur frequency from the FCC. If the officer "licensed" a commercial frequency from the FCC, then that is okay. However, if the officers are using amateur gear that has been modified to transmit out of the amateur band, then they are in violation of FCC regulations in regards to type-accepted equipment.

When you say "licensed" a frequency, do you mean the individual went and got a coordinated repeater pair? This isn't done through the FCC. This is done through the Indiana Repeater Council. If this is an amateur frequency and you guys are discussing any sort of "business" on the air, you are in violation of FCC regulations in regards to the type of communications that can be conducted on amateur radio frequencies.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I think you need to go back to cadet school. Maybe 35 years has deluded your thinking.

To say I am right and I know I am right because here is a source that I agree with and it supports my theories is ludicrous.

Garnering information from the acknowledged source is always preferable,

First who says it is an acknowledges source, You, well of course because it agrees with your philosophy. So it is not an acknowledged source if you are part of the source trying to prove your point.

Second

whether said information is entirely factual or not.

You then take evidence and make it fit your theory. This here is one of the reasons our society is falling to the ground. None of what you explain is how you come to the truth, it is however the way you make your opinion the meta truth.

For instance you keep passionately shoveling crap in front of me trying to make that which is not true to be true by constantly repeating the same thing. Trying to use your organizations words as fact because you already accept it as fact.

You say it is trust worthy so I must agree with you. And remember I already said I did not trust Wikipedia. I said several sources including yours would need to be checked, but your source could not be the prime source because by nature it is neither impartial or neutral.

One of our biggest issues in any society is giving the police too much power and control.

I hate the phrase they are there to protect us. Protection is the responsibility of the individual.

We have given too many liberties up in the name of security. Yes we need police, yes we should respect them but they also need to understand they need to respect their employer which is the people.

They have the power and authority we give them. they are to enforce the laws we create. Everone must realize that the law is for everyone, that even when enforcing the laws we allow them to enforce that they are still serving us.

I have had some police officers as very good friends of our family. When our children were young we had them dress up and come over to our house where we taught our children to respect the police that they were not our enemies.

I have pictures of my daughter and son sitting on their laps (when they were very young and later on the floor) in our living room as they listened to the police speak about right and wrong.

It has broken my heart as I have seen other police act as though they did not need to explain themselves to anybody, watching young men with little to no life experience have a chip on their shoulder because they have a badge on their chest.

I think of a dear friend who spent his life on the force, whose character was so well known that it proceeded him, a man who as cancer took him faced both life and death with dignity not just for himself but for others.

He was a man who would have told you that there was desperate change needed with the attitude if the average (not all) officer.

Being in a position of authority is really being in a place of service. It is only when you understand that you are there to serve the public that you will begin to lead.
    Do you often quote yourself to make a point?
    I think the last person to get away with that was Winston Churchill.
    In any case you obviously have no interest in understanding the crux of the argument.
    Carry on.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Below is the text of the Rules and Regulations regarding the illegal use of amateur radio and frequencies. I would hope that the IMPD officers are using commercial licenses and callsigns otherwise they would still be in violation of the FEDERAL law.

They do, and so does the Fire dept. The city holds the licenses, and we use unit numbers. Thank you for your concern. #1305 over and out :rolleyes:

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    It seems to me, much of the controversy surrounding this whole case could have been lessened some if an outside agency would have investigated the accident originally. As an example, a New Castle police officer was involved in a traffic accident Friday morning. The officer sustained injuries. The Henry County Sheriff's Department is the agency investigating the accident. If a Sheriff's deputy has an accident, then NCPD would be the investigating agency. Perhaps IMPD should let ISP investigate any accidents involving IMPD officers.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    It seems to me, much of the controversy surrounding this whole case could have been lessened some if an outside agency would have investigated the accident originally. As an example, a New Castle police officer was involved in a traffic accident Friday morning. The officer sustained injuries. The Henry County Sheriff's Department is the agency investigating the accident. If a Sheriff's deputy has an accident, then NCPD would be the investigating agency. Perhaps IMPD should let ISP investigate any accidents involving IMPD officers.
    Yupper

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    They do, and so does the Fire dept. The city holds the licenses, and we use unit numbers. Thank you for your concern. #1305 over and out :rolleyes:

I believe Heavy G was responding to the issue of IMPD illegally using ham radios for police traffic. They used to do it. And even though some of the officers may be licensed hams, if they are talking about "business" on amateur frequencies, they are still violating Federal law.

And you may ask what this has to do with the topic at hand. I believe it just helps to validate, in the public's mind, that cops are allowed to break the rules and not suffer the consequences. If a private citizen or business illegally transmits on radio frequencies they are not authorized to use, the FCC can and will levy $10,000 fines to start with. The FCC didn't fine the officers using ham equipment. It didn't fine the city. It just sent a letter and told them to stop. They stopped for a while, until they were caught doing it again in 2009.

Do you think the ATF would just send me a letter if they found out I had bought a Draco pistol and put a stock on it without submitting all of the proper paperwork and paying the $200 tax?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I was just wondering, what frequency did the officer "license" from the FCC? If it is an amateur frequency, then this is not a true statement. An individual can't "license" an amateur frequency from the FCC. If the officer "licensed" a commercial frequency from the FCC, then that is okay. However, if the officers are using amateur gear that has been modified to transmit out of the amateur band, then they are in violation of FCC regulations in regards to type-accepted equipment.

When you say "licensed" a frequency, do you mean the individual went and got a coordinated repeater pair? This isn't done through the FCC. This is done through the Indiana Repeater Council. If this is an amateur frequency and you guys are discussing any sort of "business" on the air, you are in violation of FCC regulations in regards to the type of communications that can be conducted on amateur radio frequencies.
    Beats me, I do not own a radio capable to transmitting on those frequencies nor do I care to so I do not keep up on the details ;).

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If a private citizen or business illegally transmits on radio frequencies they are not authorized to use, the FCC can and will levy $10,000 fines to start with.

Just a side point: Not always. The FCC is often *very* forgiving and will issue warnings before levying fines. Many, many professional broadcasters in the Indianapolis DMA have been issued warnings for one infraction or another over the last few years without fines. You just have to remedy the situation in 30 or sixty days.

I have been the been the Chief Op on record when a FCC inspector has done a full inspection of a full-power UHF TV station. They use everything but the latex gloves! They do tend to do warnings first.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    There is no policy prohibiting the use of personal cell phones while on duty. I have no idea what a "burn phone" is.

The use of "illegal" radios was very common when I first came on the department. I had no idea there was a problem with it until the department (MCSD) came out and told everyone they had to remove them. Ours were pretty much used for the type of worthless banter coworkers might have while sitting in adjoining cubicles. We did use them to determine who might be closer to a run, who might have a certain piece of equipment someone needed (slim jim or jumper cables, etc.) I pulled mine out when they told us we had to and sold it, that was probably 2002. I haven't seen one in an IMPD patrol car, not saying they're not there, just saying I don't believe they were in widespread use any longer.

i just read this in the sad david moore story ---Downtown, officers used their smartphones to show restaurant employees Hardy's picture, warning them to call 911 if he showed up.--- Officer shooting suspect in custody - 13 WTHR

what kind of smartphones do officers get issued??? how does dispatch send images and other messages to the smartphones...what kinds of things go out over the smartphones??? are the smartphones expensive or do we get a good monthly rate???

hope the smartphones help them find the shooters...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    i just read this in the sad david moore story ---Downtown, officers used their smartphones to show restaurant employees Hardy's picture, warning them to call 911 if he showed up.--- Officer shooting suspect in custody - 13 WTHR

what kind of smartphones do officers get issued??? how does dispatch send images and other messages to the smartphones...what kinds of things go out over the smartphones??? are the smartphones expensive or do we get a good monthly rate???

hope the smartphones help them find the shooters...

Very few officers are issued department telephones. Of those phones even fewer are Blackberry phones (Command staff only). Officers are billed for calls which are not business related, I do not know what the city pays per phone. The officers using smart phones today were doing so at their own expense as the command staff doesn't walk the streets looking for suspects.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom