• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Not sure what data is crucial enough that I would care. If someone can make a buck off from knowing what I had for dinner or when my dog's birthday is, let them have at it.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    An alternative to Facebook and or Twitter might be Mastodon.com. It's an open source social media platform. Every so often a new upstart comes along and usually dies before too long. This site however seems to be well so far.
    No I have no "interest" in the site. I've been messing around with it now for a few weeks and I'm intrigued. Part of it being open sourced means that anyone with a server can run their own Mastodon platform thereby insuring that it will never be a platform controlled by a company. It's controlled by the people.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I posted a bunch of old photos that I had found amongst mom and dad's stuff this past weekend. The family and I had a great time talking about them. Like most things in life, FB is what you make of it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I posted a bunch of old photos that I had found amongst mom and dad's stuff this past weekend. The family and I had a great time talking about them. Like most things in life, FB is what you make of it.

Exactly. I like to mix it up with the nut-bags.
    I like to see family long lost to time and distance.
    I do the same with friends.
    Then I mix it up with the nut-bags again.

Rbooher7526

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indianapolis
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-users-widening-privacy-scandal-idUSKCN1HB2CM

...Zuckerberg told reporters that he accepted blame for the data leak, which has angered users, advertisers and lawmakers, while also saying he was still the right person to head the company he founded...

...He said he was not aware of any discussions on the Facebook board about him stepping down, although directors would face a challenge if they wanted to oust him because Zuckerberg is the controlling shareholder.

He said he had not fired anyone over the scandal and did not plan to. “I’m not looking to throw anyone else under the bus for mistakes that we made here,” he said.

Facebook first acknowledged last month that personal information about millions of users wrongly ended up in the hands of Cambridge Analytica.

Zuckerberg will testify about the matter next Tuesday and Wednesday during two U.S. congressional hearings...
    I have listened to to days off his testimony. He ptovided no substantive answers and pretended not to know a lot. Many "I'll have my staff get back to you" replies. Just confirmed my decision to spend more time reading blogs, and lesd time providing FB with data.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    [video=youtube;R-zpvB4jLnM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-zpvB4jLnM[/video]

[video=youtube;OXiy-JphmV4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXiy-JphmV4[/video]

[video=youtube;_9JAGHIHYvc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9JAGHIHYvc[/video]

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Exactly. I like to mix it up with the nut-bags.
    I like to see family long lost to time and distance.
    I do the same with friends.
    Then I mix it up with the nut-bags again.

Same here.
    I like being able to stay in touch with people that geography prevents me from seeing.
    I also love posting things that I know will tweak the lefties! ;)

I got "unfriended" by an old classmate who's a leftie party drone who has no grasp on the issues, and likes to post BS memes that he can't back up.
    Then when I called him out he got mad.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I only have "friends" who are relatives and former war buddies and working buddies. I like the family videos of family and extended family. It does seem like a good place for small businesses (like gunshops) to get the word out. No doubt, like YouTube, lefties are running the show and abusing their power to limit the voices of those with other views. Both sites wield tremendous power over information.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Facebook accused of giving over 60 device makers inappropriate access to user data

...A report from The New York Times has accused Facebook of sharing inappropriate amounts of user data with device manufacturers like Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, and BlackBerry.

Starting 10 years ago, Facebook began making deals with these companies to help them build Facebook apps for their phones and tablets and integrate Facebook functionality into their operating systems. (For example, letting users share photos with Facebook friends without directly visiting Facebook’s app or website.) In order for these integrations to function, Facebook gave these companies access to user data through so-called private APIs. The Times suggests that the level of access given to companies raises concerns about Facebook’s compliance with FTC privacy legislation. Facebook rejects this claim and says its deals were “tightly” controlled and above board.

WITH ONE LOGIN, AN APP WAS ABLE TO GRAB DATA FROM NEARLY 300,000 USERS
    The Times’ story includes one example of how these private APIs share data. Using a 2013 BlackBerry smartphone, a reporter used his Facebook account to log on to BlackBerry’s proprietary Hub software, which combines social network feeds with messaging and email. After this, BlackBerry’s software was able to retrieve not only data about the reporter’s 556 Facebook friends (including relationship statuses and religious and political leanings) but also “identifying information” belonging to nearly 300,000 friends of the reporter’s friends.

The Times notes that this level of data sharing is against Facebook’s current privacy policy, which only allows third-party apps to request the names of users’ friends. The report says that Facebook made similar deals with “at least 60 device makers,” but it is not clear what level of data access was agreed on in each case...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've come to the conclusion that what ever any institution says, face book, stores, financial institutions, or the government, they all sell your info. It's like free money to them, most of the time people volunteer it, sometimes they collect it or compel you to provide it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I've come to the conclusion that what ever any institution says, face book, stores, financial institutions, or the government, they all sell your info. It's like free money to them, most of the time people volunteer it, sometimes they collect it or compel you to provide it.
    Is that like following the money?

Top Bottom