• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you get aftermarket sights put on your new gun(s)?

• Total voters

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would say that the firearm junkies (that includes me) that are on this site are probably way more likely to change their gun sights than the norm. I have worked in three different gunstores in two different states and purchased quite a few used guns since 1976. Very few trade-ins have upgraded sights. Very few of the used firearms I have purchased either from shops or gunshows have aftermarket sights. It would seem that most purchasers of new firearms are satisfied with the factory sights.

I would venture to say that most of those guns also had the two original factory mags and no extras. I bet just the people who posted in this thread have fired more rounds then most all those used guns combined.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I generally prefer to keep the factory sights, but will have tritium installed for carry weapons. Also have put tritium on "dedicated" HD guns (as well as a pressure switch tac light).

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What kind of crap are you buying? /purple. :): Of the many handguns I have purchased, I've not had a single one suffer this problem.

The dots fell out of a Shield I owned and after one-hand manipulation training, a sight came off a Glock.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would venture to say that most of those guns also had the two original factory mags and no extras. I bet just the people who posted in this thread have fired more rounds then most all those used guns combined.

I would have to agree with your observation.

Faiden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I really didn't realize people we venomously opposed to factory sights. Granted, I'm not doing a lot of shooting at great distances, but I've never felt my Shield's factory sights have been any disadvantage at all.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I really didn't realize people we venomously opposed to factory sights. Granted, I'm not doing a lot of shooting at great distances, but I've never felt my Shield's factory sights have been any disadvantage at all.

Not really a distance or precision thing. A lot of people replace the factory sights with big dots or large, high visibility front sights. These are great to pick up fast when up close but are not as precise. Some people like night sights for low light situations.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I always put night sights on my carry guns, but if I buy a plinker/range gun I don't mess with the sights unless they are just god awful. From my experience a lot of people I know don't even consider different sights unless they are a "gun guy/girl".

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm surprised by this thread. I wouldn't have thought that over half of INGO'rs keep their factory sights. The only factory sights I've kept are the fiber optics on my M&P Pro, which is my dedicated "game gun".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Honestly, I don't know ANYONE who changes car tires when they get a new car.

Yeah, but the average person isn't scared to drive in mud and snow in a Jeep, so your situation isn't very common.

Spend some time on a Jeep forum, car stereo forum where the lowrider crowd still gather, etc. and you'll have a different perspective than if you just watched the general population. Most people just buy a car and drive it, but enthusiasts change things all the time. Parts swapping will appear much more common. Similarly, you get a biased view here because the forum has a much higher percentage of enthusiasts than the general gun buying population.

Do you modify other stuff? Like motorcycles, cars, guitars? Do I need to change out all of my sights? No. I think it is a sickness. I don't think anything I own is as it came from the factory, including my w.... nevermind.

Not so much any more. I used to modify my vehicles. Lift kits and bigger tires on the trucks, stereo upgrades in everything, speed modifications on my cars. Now, not really. Factory stereos got a lot better, my truck has 390 hp from the factory which is more than I could ever wring out of a carb'd 350 back in the day, so its already where I want it to be. I think the only "mod" my truck has is a spray in bed liner and a tonneau cover.

Similarly, most of my handguns came with sights that do what I want them to do. The brass bead Novaks on my GP100 are perfect. I can acquire and shoot fast, and I can also take my time and fill a credit card at 25 yards. Its where I want it to be. The adjustable night sights on my Springfield 1911 Loaded (the early model, back when they came with 8 round mags and a mag funnel) do everything I want them to do. My LCR's factory sights are fine for its intended role. There's no good options for the Security Six, and its fine for range work which is its primary purpose. My other revolvers are fixed sights, and given their intended function they work fine. My Glock is just a future heirloom as it was a duty weapon that I bought back so I could pass it on to my son.

The one gun I changed the sights on was my Sig P220. I am partially colorblind and the milkiness of the dots in daylight caused me to have trouble finding the front sight during certain lighting/background color situations. I needed higher contrast, basically.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I only swap out sights on my Carry Guns. Any fun guns I have or find good deals on that I can't pass up will just rock the stock sights.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Honestly, I don't know ANYONE who changes car tires when they get a new car.

If guns are primarily used for self defense, it seems like they can put night sights on them. I know everyone will not be pleased with anything a manufacturer does, but I was just curious. As someone brought up up-thread, my Sigs came with night sights and I didn't have to do anything with them.

Depends on the tires. I might not change them myself, but you can usually ask the dealer to change 'em before you bring it home. I've done that a few times to get the tires I wanted.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    One way or another I've usually ended up with night sights on my carry guns. My current EDC is a Beretta Nano with factory (Trijicon) tritium sights. All gun manufacturers should take a page from Beretta's book and drop drift-adjustable sights which require gunsmiting skills or special tools to adjust or swap out. Use of set screws like Beretta does on the Nano and new Pico is simply brilliant.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Spend some time on a Jeep forum, car stereo forum where the lowrider crowd still gather, etc. and you'll have a different perspective than if you just watched the general population. Most people just buy a car and drive it, but enthusiasts change things all the time. Parts swapping will appear much more common. Similarly, you get a biased view here because the forum has a much higher percentage of enthusiasts than the general gun buying population.

Not so much any more. I used to modify my vehicles. Lift kits and bigger tires on the trucks, stereo upgrades in everything, speed modifications on my cars. Now, not really. Factory stereos got a lot better, my truck has 390 hp from the factory which is more than I could ever wring out of a carb'd 350 back in the day, so its already where I want it to be. I think the only "mod" my truck has is a spray in bed liner and a tonneau cover.

Similarly, most of my handguns came with sights that do what I want them to do. The brass bead Novaks on my GP100 are perfect. I can acquire and shoot fast, and I can also take my time and fill a credit card at 25 yards. Its where I want it to be. The adjustable night sights on my Springfield 1911 Loaded (the early model, back when they came with 8 round mags and a mag funnel) do everything I want them to do. My LCR's factory sights are fine for its intended role. There's no good options for the Security Six, and its fine for range work which is its primary purpose. My other revolvers are fixed sights, and given their intended function they work fine. My Glock is just a future heirloom as it was a duty weapon that I bought back so I could pass it on to my son.

The one gun I changed the sights on was my Sig P220. I am partially colorblind and the milkiness of the dots in daylight caused me to have trouble finding the front sight during certain lighting/background color situations. I needed higher contrast, basically.
    and hot rodding makes this hobby look cheap.:spend:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I cannot understand why most manufacturers put out guns with factory sights when they know their consumes are going to have night/target sights put on as soon as they leave the store. Is this my assumption or am I not alone on this?

Yes, You are alone on this. (Maybe the next time you buy a gun, you can ask them to remove the sights and you'll receive a core deposit.)

Top Bottom