Families of 10 Newtown victims file lawsuit against gunmaker, distributor, store

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If there's anybody in this that has any fault, it's Nancy Lanza for allowing her nutcase son to be able to access her firearms.
    Had she properly stored them, simply killing her wouldn't have allowed him access to them.

Yet I don't hear much on anybody suing her estate for damages.

Which shows me that these lawsuits are mostly just frivolous "deep pockets" lawsuits with no merit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If there's anybody in this that has any fault, it's Nancy Lanza for allowing her nutcase son to be able to access her firearms.
    Had she properly stored them, simply killing her wouldn't have allowed him access to them.

Which shows me that these lawsuits are mostly just frivolous "deep pockets" lawsuits with no merit.

Closer, but I don't even buy that as a basis for a lawsuit. Regardless of how stored, when it took a murder/robbery, I don't think we should hold a victim liable for what someone else does with the guns.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

I think she is partially to blame, yes, but the guns could have been in a locked safe and Adam could have found the key after killing her.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think she is partially to blame, yes, but the guns could have been in a locked safe and Adam could have found the key after killing her.

Being partially to blame, factually, and whether that should be a basis for liability, two different things.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I'm sure she had some idea her son would kill her, steal her guns and go shoot a bunch of other people. Then she just ignored it and let it all happen. :rolleyes:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Round 1 goes to Remington... Basically "The case moved one step closer to a possible dismissal yesterdays as lawyers for Remington won the argument to move the case to a more palatable federal court" since "The 2nd Circuit has previously refused to hold gun manufacturers liable or permit lawsuits against gun manufacturers for injuries caused by third parties"

Bearing ArmsRemington Wins Opening Move In Bizarre Sandy Hook Lawsuit - Bearing Arms

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Round 1 goes to Remington... Basically "The case moved one step closer to a possible dismissal yesterdays as lawyers for Remington won the argument to move the case to a more palatable federal court" since "The 2nd Circuit has previously refused to hold gun manufacturers liable or permit lawsuits against gun manufacturers for injuries caused by third parties"

Bearing ArmsRemington Wins Opening Move In Bizarre Sandy Hook Lawsuit - Bearing Arms

That's good to hear, but removal to federal court is pretty much automatic when the requisites are present.

Also, it was moved to the District Court for the District of Connecticut, not to the 2d Circuit. The 2d Circuit is an appeals court that would hear an appeal if the case got that far and the cases decided by it in the past will be binding on the District Court, but the article was incorrect to say ot was "moved to the 2d Circuit". Anyhoo, maybe that's too "inside baseball" to matter right now.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Basically, they say that LARGE CAPACITY magazines, and

"assault weapons", are NOT protected under the second "A" .....

I still don't understand what a large capacity magazine is .....

I use STANDARD ISSUE magazines .....

20 round, US Army, and 30 round USMC .....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Basically, they say that LARGE CAPACITY magazines, and

"assault weapons", are NOT protected under the second "A" .....

I still don't understand what a large capacity magazine is .....

I use STANDARD ISSUE magazines .....

20 round, US Army, and 30 round USMC .....

I thought the Supreme Court ruled years ago that military weapons were specifically protected by the 2nd amendment. They even made it a determining factor in a case, saying because the weapon in the case was not military related, that it was NOT protected.

Or is this a case in them wanting cake, and also to eat it?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I thought the Supreme Court ruled years ago that military weapons were specifically protected by the 2nd amendment. They even made it a determining factor in a case, saying because the weapon in the case was not military related, that it was NOT protected.

Or is this a case in them wanting cake, and also to eat it?
    Yes, US v Miller 307 U.S. 174 (1939) held that the second amendment explicitly protected weapon suitable for military use by the individual. It is mis-cited in this garbage opinion on page 21. The essential holding in Miller was that because the defendant never entered any evidence that short-barreled shotgun's were suitable for military use, they would not find them to fall within the second amendment. It made no such rule in about machine guns or anything of the like.

The opinion repeatedly cites both Heller and Miller for propositions 180° opposed to what was actually held in those opinions.

Political garbage.

Top Bottom