• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    :facepalm: So much wrong with this situation.

Don't let anybody tell you how to run your life. **** em.
    They are using the relationship to hold you hostage.
    That's an adversarial relationship from the start.
    If they can't deal with your happiness that's their problem and their loss.
    They truly sound mentally unstable.

+1 on all of this. I know they are your family, but the less time around people like this, the better off you will be. Crazy has a way of creeping into your life if you spend time around it. Stay away from crazy/dramatic people and crazy/dramatic situations as much as possible and your life will run smoother.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    You should not ever give in to their BLACKMAIL, I would not tell them about my firearm, but if the question came up I would not lie. It doesn't seem like it will make any difference in the visits anyhow and if they with hold their children from visiting they will have to explain! Sounds like their son would not take it very well either. I would consider it your sisters loss.

I am what I am! Regardless of what ANYONE says or threatens, I will not lie or change my personality or habits to accommodate them. Some 50 years ago I was married to a woman that became psychotic. As we had two children, I decided to go to a marriage counselor to see if there were any steps I could take to resolve the issue. (later she was committed to a mental hospital by a court for desertion). During my session the question was posed to me "how many friends do you have?", my answer rather shocked the counselor.

I told him that outside of my family I had 3 "Friends". He said that's all the friends you have? I said "Our definition of friends probably differ greatly" I have 3 friends that can call me at 3 AM, and I will do anything they need including mortgaging my home if necessary. They will do the same for me! The question then arose "What about the rest of the people",

I then said "I have many acquaintances that I enjoy fishing and hunting with, dining with and other activities, but they are not "true friends". I try not to antagonize people but there are millions of people in the USA, so I am sure many will not like me. I can't and won't try to please everyone so as long as they do nothing to harm me or my family I could care less.

He sat there for a few moments digesting what I had said, then remarked "You have the healthiest attitude I have ever seen". He then interviewed my ex wife. Later he told me I probably would not be able to hold my marriage together as she had many issues and was not at all stable.

I now am 73, close to 74, have pretty well maintained my attitude the same throughout my life. I did obtain custody of my two children, remarried (for over 45 years) to a woman with three children, then we had one together. They are all raised, all our grandchildren are adults, and we have several Great grandchildren.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Sounds like an INGO Open Carry Poolside BBQ is in order.
    And yes, invite your sister and her family. We'll take care of you.

How big is your grill? :):

I wonder how long your BIL can hold his breath?

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @dead duck lol, you know what is worse she rather be killed by a intruder then kill him? I'm thinking wtf? You will be dead then he will kill your kids your not saving anybody

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Let me flip the question.

Why WOULD you tell your sister? If she's not a gun person, she's not going to say "that's a nice AR" and bond over it. It can only cause friction. You probably don't call them up when you buy a new toaster oven or pair of socks. Why should an AR be different?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    @dead duck lol, you know what is worse she rather be killed by a intruder then kill him? I'm thinking wtf? You will be dead then he will kill your kids your not saving anybody

You are just wired differently. It's her moral sensibility. You can't explain feelings with straight up reasoning. Hopefully she never has to have her feelings changed by a life changing event. I suspect that she'd rethink her moral priorities if an intruder presented a real threat to her kids, and she had the means to stop it with deadly force.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My family knows that I have guns and that I like to shoot. I grew up in a gun/hunting family.

My in-laws are ok with hunting and hunting guns, but not so much with self-defense guns. They know that I have various shotguns, muzzle loaders, and .22s, but out of respect for my wife (who would have to hear about it), they don't know about the "scary" guns.

I've never had a family member threaten to "knock me out a window", and I'm not sure how that would play out. But I don't think I could let a comment like that go without taking it to a conclusion one way or another.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The brother in law threat is totally unacceptable. I would sever all contact with him, and her if need be. Sooner or later this guy is going to have a serious problem. You don't want to be part of it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Given that the BIL is clearly a billy badass wanabee, I would consider that all the reason not to just have a gun, but to have one on my person 24/7 at home if there were any possibility of a visit from him for any reason, either ostensibly for friendly reasons or ???.
    I could see wanting to have time with your nieces and nephews, but that other part of the equation has trouble written all over it.
    He sounds like a real winner, and almost certainly the source of the extreme hostility that your sis has to guns.

Last edited:

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    When my BiL said that I just looked at him and wishing he try that, cause then it would show what kind of person he is, and I hope my sister doesn't ever have to deal with a real life threat,

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Screw them. Seriously. Just keep your business private and have the rifle secured safely out of sight/reach.
    If threatened respond in kind. Windows work both ways you know.
    No offense but again......screw them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let me flip the question.

Why WOULD you tell your sister? If she's not a gun person, she's not going to say "that's a nice AR" and bond over it. It can only cause friction. You probably don't call them up when you buy a new toaster oven or pair of socks. Why should an AR be different?

Damn Rep NAZI's...............+10 on this one.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @spec4 sorry he works at the same place I do, he does have a short temper on things, we use to do fun things together play video games shoot off rockets but now nothing, I'd like to have something fun to do but I don't think he would be into target shooting, considering everything I love shooting wish I had more time for it and friends to shoot with

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    With some of my family, I wish it was as simple as telling them I had a gun in the home would keep them away. :)
    :+1:

I would keep it locked up and wouldn't tell her about it. It's your house and your right.

My grandma was at my house for Christmas after the Sandy Hook deal and said "don't you think they ought to ban those assault rifles?", I said "nope, I have several in my safe and just built my GF one for Christmas." She left right then and we haven't spoke to each other since.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    @spec4 sorry he works at the same place I do, he does have a short temper on things, we use to do fun things together play video games shoot off rockets but now nothing, I'd like to have something fun to do but I don't think he would be into target shooting, considering everything I love shooting wish I had more time for it and friends to shoot with

I have had serious BIL issues in the past. Do as you can to fill the family void but remember, he has the issues not you. There may be something going on that you are not aware of or his inner "Dick" may have just taken over.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :+1:

I would keep it locked up and wouldn't tell her about it. It's your house and your right.

My grandma was at my house for Christmas after the Sandy Hook deal and said "don't you think they ought to ban those assault rifles?", I said "nope, I have several in my safe and just built my GF one for Christmas." She left right then and we haven't spoke to each other since.

That is just sad.

Top Bottom