• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, definitely zip it and keep it secured when the kids are around. Nothing good will come of the discussion. If its not accessible, there is no reason to mention it. For example, if the water company was working and the valve pit was left open, you would warn everyone not to walk over there in case they might step in the hole. But if the hole is covered and latched, you wouldnt give it a thought as there is no reason to say anything.

I EDC except around the house. My aunt was over for dinner and guns came up. She made the comment that one her sons EDCs IWB and "he's gonna shoot himself in the butt one of these days."

Little does she know that whenever I'm at her house Im doing the same. Apparently I just do a better job of controlling the access to my waistband during hugs, etc. :dunno:

I didnt say a word and life has been just as happy as ever.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, definitely zip it and keep it secured when the kids are around. Nothing good will come of the discussion. If its not accessible, there is no reason to mention it. For example, if the water company was working and the valve pit was left open, you would warn everyone not to walk over there in case they might step in the hole. But if the hole is covered and latched, you wouldnt give it a thought as there is no reason to.

I EDC except around the house. My aunt was over for dinner and guns came up. She made the comment that one her sons EDCs IWB and "he's gonna shoot himself in the butt one of these days."

Little does she know that whenever I'm at her house Im doing the same. Apparently I just do a better job of controlling the access to my waistband during hugs, etc. :dunno:

I didnt say a word and life has been just as happy as ever.

My spouses people were serious anti-gun when I met her.
    Out of respect I never carried in their home.
    In the last 5 years or so I have taught most of them to shoot. They love it and have come to understand that the talking :poop: spewing news heads are idiots pushing an agenda.
    They have started the requests that always come with good weather....."Lets go to the range"
    I have won a long and steadily addressed battle.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Thanks I figured don't tell would be the answer, yeah her husband has a short temper, he also threatened to get rid of a friend of mine, make it look like a accident? At that point lets just say he crossed over, but thanks for everybody's input,

With a guy like him...sounds like you need a gun in the house. Some people just don't get it, and never will.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    My spouses people were serious anti-gun when I met her.
    Out of respect I never carried in their home.
    In the last 5 years or so I have taught most of them to shoot. They love it and have come to understand that the talking :poop: spewing news heads are idiots pushing an agenda.
    They have started the requests that always come with good weather....."Lets go to the range"
    I have won a long and steadily addressed battle.

I wish my Aunt could come to her senses, however she isn't wired for anything except drama, emotions, and over-reacting. I kinda feel bad for my cousin that is firearm friendly.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    To me it sounds like your BIL is a "Loose Cannon"..

I would say that your Sister's attitude toward firearms is based on how Her husband acts..Yea, he SHOULD stay away from GUNS!!!...Bill.

^^That

Sounds like a case of "projection" to me. Your BIL, may not think twice about acting out with violence, so she assumes everyone is like that. Most trained gun owners know they want no part of a violent situation!

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    :facepalm: So much wrong with this situation.

Don't let anybody tell you how to run your life. **** em.
    They are using the relationship to hold you hostage.
    That's an adversarial relationship from the start.
    If they can't deal with your happiness that's their problem and their loss.
    They truly sound mentally unstable.

yep!

Anyone that doesnt like me for me can pound sand. Im sorry you have to deal with this. You have to accept it and move on, nothing good will come of you knowing that BIL. What a piece of work.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    The brother in law threat is totally unacceptable. I would sever all contact with him, and her if need be. Sooner or later this guy is going to have a serious problem. You don't want to be part of it.

agree with this too

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I have an extreme libtard aunt that lives close to her father, my grandpa, in Seattle, like down the street from him. He bought himself a berretta 92 and took some training classes and all that to become proficient with it. She heard about it and threatened to move away from him because she didn't feel safe for her or her daughter living on the same street with with a big scary 9mm pistol:n00b: . Well I found out about all this and when she was staying at my parents house, in town for my wedding a few years ago, this story came up. I'm pretty sure she knows my dad has some guns but I'm not sure she knew how many or what kind. One morning I made a point to show off a few of his collection to some family with her around. The look on her face after pulling out a bunch of AR's and other black scary ASSUALT RIFLES was priceless. I'm not sure how she slept in the house the rest of the week knowing these types of killer weapons were only feet from her at all times. Must have been a real struggle for her.

Family can be as stupid as anyone else. It's their problem if they want to be irrational and stupid, not yours.

mikew773

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Kokomo
    I try to not discuss my gun ownership with anyone that doesn't need to know. Only my closest friends and a few select relatives know. My guns are always locked and stored so there is no reason anyone should ever feel that the presence of the guns threatens their safety or their children's safety. I would not tell your sister anything. As long as the guns are locked and stored away when her children visit, it's really none of her business.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Don't know how old her kids are, but if they have Facebook you can always keep in contact with them. Maybe they won't turn out like their parents and if not may be interested in shooting their Uncle's guns.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I did have a brand new Springfield armory xdm 45, but my mom found it and lost her mind and made me get rid of it, she thought I was depressed that's why I bought it, :( ugh

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I'd love to go shooting with anybody here, I went shooting recently with a guy on here and shot his ARs it was the best time, I don't get to shoot much, I realized 2 things one I need a lot more range time lol and two I love guns,

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I did have a brand new Springfield armory xdm 45, but my mom found it and lost her mind and made me get rid of it, she thought I was depressed that's why I bought it, :( ugh

Do you live with your mom? If not how did she make you get rid of it? It sounds like she lost her mind long before you bought a gun.

You cannot, and should not live your life trying to please everyone else. They don't have to like YOUR choices for YOUR life. They are free to make their own. They can choose to accept you as you are
    or they can choose to ostracize you. You are under no obligation to attempt to conform to their skewed version of reality, family or not.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Let me flip the question.

Why WOULD you tell your sister? If she's not a gun person, she's not going to say "that's a nice AR" and bond over it. It can only cause friction. You probably don't call them up when you buy a new toaster oven or pair of socks. Why should an AR be different?

This pretty much sums it up. I don't discuss politics when my brother's liberal in laws are in town and I don't talk guns with folks that are known to be anti-gun. I cannot understand their viewpoint and I stand little chance of making them understand mine. We have way too much communication in the world today and it often leads to others thinking they can dictate how someone else lives. As an example of how we have too much communication, I'm in my fifth sentence when all I really needed to do was this: :rockwoot:

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Well since they never visit me then I will have no problem with keeping my gun, even get my 45 back from my friend, I'm looking forward to some range time,

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Burt, I've had some minor success explaining shooting to people who are not progun concentrating on the marksmanship aspect and de-emphasizing the self defense aspects. Many folks seem to think the only use/purpose for a gun is to shoot someone. I once explained to an aquaintance that it was akin to throwing darts at the pub, only the darts arrive at the 'board' really, really fast. I tried to use this analogy to explain the joy I found in shooting and shooting well. We now use 'supersonic darts' as shorthand for shooting and I don't make much of the other reasons I have guns. I'm not recommending this tack with the sister/BIL , though. I don't think they sound reasonable or open minded. I must say I also think the BIL's casual threats of violence would be intolerable to me. At some point I would have to call him on it. If you feel you might be overmatched there is excellent training available for this eventuality, too. And unarmed combat training is an excellent adjuct to firearms training. We're here to tell you that the desire to possess and become proficient with firearms is normal and WAY more common than many would like to believe. Its your life, live it your way.

Top Bottom