• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What's your favorite .223 brass, other than Lapua? Vote for up to five..

• Total voters

Lyudmilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    What is your favorite .223 brass for reloading? I am leaving Lapua off the list because a lot of folks agree it's great brass. I am more interested in your thoughts on other brass.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    If money were no object, I'd buy Winchester .223 brass. It's hard to beat Lake City 5.56 brass for value though. All I use now (other than misc. range brass) is LC and IMI 5.56 brass and size it in my .223 die and I'm good to go.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I use LC and separate it into year lots as they are a little different in capacity and weight.
    I like 09 and 04 they are very similar and I have a couple thousand of each.

Lyudmilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    I use LC and separate it into year lots as they are a little different in capacity and weight.
    I like 09 and 04 they are very similar and I have a couple thousand of each.
    Last time I went to the range, I compared groupings based on brass and Lake City surprised me by producing the best groupings out of all the brass in my bag.

I am going to test it again this week, and if I have similar results, I'm gonna scavenge for more LC.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Free is the best. I don't care what brand! There was no option for free! ;)

Have to agree with this here, but if its not free, I like LC brass. Its usually one of the cheapest, and I have yet to have any brass related issues from it. The only downside it the crimped primer pockets, but its not impossible to deal with, and saves even more if they havent been prepared.

Lyudmilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Free is the best. I don't care what brand! There was no option for free! ;)
    Most of my brass has been free range brass and I've picked up enough variety that I can be selective on brands. Among the free range brass, I've found LC to be the best and I'm like a kid on Christmas morning when I stumble on to a mess of it at the range.

Like my chicken, I prefer free range brass.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I had some new Starline given to me and it was very nice. If I load special .223 for accuracy rather than just plinking/zombie ammo I only use Lapua. It is by far the best IMO. All the other brass LC, FC remington or whatever I just get used range brass and process it. I wouldn't go out and buy new brass otherr than Lapua

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I buy mil surplus, it's cheap and gives me just as many loadings as anything else considering the attrition that shooting through multiple AR's causes. If I was shooting through a bolt action or maybe just a single AR I might spring for a more expensive brand.

Lyudmilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Have any of you tracked accuracy variables based on the case brands? What brand produced the best accuracy?

Top Bottom