• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    My family really enjoys deer meat, we eat it all year. I got to wondering what are other people's favorite cut of deer meat. Mine is the loin. I like to do a season rub, wrap it in bacon, put it in a dish with carrots and potatoes and bake it in the oven. My wife's favorite is to cut steaks from the loin, butterfly them and bread them. Do a quick heat sear. Place cuts in a dish with onions, mushrooms and a cup of cooking wine. Cover and bake at 350 until done.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    My family really enjoys deer meat, we eat it all year. I got to wondering what are other people's favorite cut of deer meat. Mine is the loin. I like to do a season rub, wrap it in bacon, put it in a dish with carrots and potatoes and bake it in the oven. My wife's favorite is to cut steaks from the loin, butterfly them and bread them. Do a quick heat sear. Place cuts in a dish with onions, mushrooms and a cup of cooking wine. Cover and bake at 350 until done.
    wouldnt they be done after the "quick heat sear"?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We cube our deer meat instead of grinding it. Except for roasts and loins. Take a pile of cubed meat, season it and flour it and give it a quick browning in a skillet. Place the meat in a cake pan, cover with diced onion, mushrooms, and a can of cream of mushroom soup or a couple packets of mixed up brown gravy mix...baked in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.

Serve over rice or potatoes.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Neck roast in a dutch oven over an open fire. Carrots, green beans, corn, and potatoes alond with a proprietary blend of spices. Cook all day long. Yum yum, love me some deer stew!

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Backstraps cut about 3/4" thick and marinated overnight in the following mixture; 1/4 C honey, 1/4 C lemon juice, 1/4 C olive oil, 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 chopped garlic clove.
    Cook it in a pan/skillet on the stove top. The key is to not overcook it. Overcooking toughens venison! Three to four minutes per side on medium-high to medium heat is a good guideline. If it's well-done it's overcooked! You definitely want it to be pink in the middle.

from "Making the Most of Your Deer" by Dennis Walrod

Farm1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Elletsville
    Backstraps soaked in root beer or Dr Pepper overnight then sliced amd stacked with a jalapeño and cream cheese then wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill...

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I tried something today that turned out real well. Cubed up some backstraps left from last year, slow fried in a bit of oil with lots of onions. Dumped that in a crock pot with 5 cans of diced tomatoes and 5 cans of kidney beans. I then used the spices used in a Cincinnati Chili recipe I found on the Net.Look one up , they are all about the same (leave out the chocolate if it lists it ) Cayenne pepper, allspice, ground cloves , cinnamon .Look it up and use whatever is there. It was excellent ! The best chili I ever made.

Top Bottom