Favorite non franchise restaurant...mom 'n pop style.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    How about something around Ft. Wayne?:dunno:

I really dig the Liberty Diner at the intersection of Coliseum & Goshen.

Near Ft. Wayne, Nick's Kitchen in Huntington has been mentioned a few times. The history of that place is right cool, too.

Down in Decatur, I like Back 40 Junction, West End, and The Galley. There's also Arnold's Drive In for that 50's flare (Cash only!)

In Bluffton, my wife really likes Bummies Drive-in. She craves their Spanish Dogs (chili dogs)

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Corner Cafe in Darlington! FANTASTIC broaster chicken! mmmmmMMMMMmmmmmm (and I have it on good authority that the owner even owns a Glock 19!)

-J-

dyoung707

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Mooresville
    The shawarma at the Canal bistro in Broad Ripple is awesome. Some of the best tacos and tortas are the pastor at the taqueria behind southern plaza in Indy. I've had several meet and greets there with my belly.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Fiesta Mexicana in Plymouth has got great Mexican food. So does Fiesta Tapatia in Mishawaka. They have the same menu but the Plymouth location is run by the sister and the Mishawaka place is run by the brother.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    so many comments on Mann's when you guys are so close to one of my favorite mexican places! At the corner of Morris & Tibbs is a place called "The Buritto Joint". A little mexican place where most of the clientel look to be from Mexico, and the food is awesome! Their burittos are AWESOME!! King steak for me please!!

Also in indy is probably my current favorite place to eat, Papa Roux. No explanation necessary ;)

Around the Haute, the land of multiple chain, we have a few good places to eat.

The Bush near 13th and Locust has great cod fish and tenderloins.

Park Ave Diner on Park Ave in the north end is run by the daughter of the owner of 'The Bush', so they also have great fish and tenderloins, but their burgers are great as well.

Pino's is an awesome italian joint. A little more upscale in price, but the food is worth it.

Moggers at 9th and Poplar is built in part of the old Terre Haute Brewery building. This place has tons of character. The entire building is just something to see. Lots of old brewing stuff, just a cool old place. The food is good as well. Im a big fan of their jalapeno straws and the buffalo chicken sandwich, but their beer selection is what many go for. One heck of a lot of different beers and a ton of micro brews.

Green Acres is an ice cream stand out on Rosedale Rd north of town. We've always called it 'buffalo butts' because they used to be surrounded by a big field of buffalo which are gone now. Great ice cream stand stuff, and some good sandwiches as well.

Gerhardts Beirstube is a great german place owned by a german guy and his VERY german wife :) EXCELLENT food if you like all things german.

Umi Grill (formerly Sushi Umi). Some of the best authentic sushi around and I have no problem putting it up against any place in the state. Yes, its that good.

Homie's Q BBQ. Some of the best BBQ I've had, and right up there with any of the good places in St. Louis/Kansas City/Memphis/etc. I love BBQ and this is some great stuff!

Wise Pies. Great thin crust "custom" pizza place that serves whole pies, or by the slice of what ever they have available. I love the White Pizza, but all of them Ive tried are great!

Here is a website with some places Ive yet to visit: Dr. Thom's Groovy Homepage of Peace, Love and Yogurt

Heading east on US-40 towards Brazil, IN is another great pizza place: Sweet Lou's. Great pizza and a pretty decent sports bar. They have good calzones as well.

In Brazil, IN is a place called Eddie's Sandwich Shop. They are famous for their 'slider' type burgers. They are bigger than a which castle, and more like a traditional hamburger. Very good burger, but very small building ;) Been in business since 1931 and worth the trip if your in the area!

Ill update as I think of more.

(after reading this its no wonder Im tubby!)

Last edited:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I had lunch at a new place in Blanford ,that is in extreme western Indiana, about a mile from the state line just off 163.
    When I was growing up it was a local tavern,named Pinheads.
    One of the specialties was the Pinhead burger and it was quite good.
    The neat thing about the place is all the local memorabilia the place is decorated with.
    The name of the place is Mary Jane's

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    so many comments on Mann's when you guys are so close to one of my favorite mexican places! At the corner of Morris & Tibbs is a place called "The Buritto Joint". A little mexican place where most of the clientel look to be from Mexico, and the food is awesome! Their burittos are AWESOME!! King steak for me please!!

Also in indy is probably my current favorite place to eat, Papa Roux. No explanation necessary ;)

Around the Haute, the land of multiple chain, we have a few good places to eat.

The Bush near 13th and Locust has great cod fish and tenderloins.

Park Ave Diner on Park Ave in the north end is run by the daughter of the owner of 'The Bush', so they also have great fish and tenderloins, but their burgers are great as well.

Pino's is an awesome italian joint. A little more upscale in price, but the food is worth it.

Moggers at 9th and Poplar is built in part of the old Terre Haute Brewery building. This place has tons of character. The entire building is just something to see. Lots of old brewing stuff, just a cool old place. The food is good as well. Im a big fan of their jalapeno straws and the buffalo chicken sandwich, but their beer selection is what many go for. One heck of a lot of different beers and a ton of micro brews.

Green Acres is an ice cream stand out on Rosedale Rd north of town. We've always called it 'buffalo butts' because they used to be surrounded by a big field of buffalo which are gone now. Great ice cream stand stuff, and some good sandwiches as well.

Gerhardts Beirstube is a great german place owned by a german guy and his VERY german wife :) EXCELLENT food if you like all things german.

Umi Grill (formerly Sushi Umi). Some of the best authentic sushi around and I have no problem putting it up against any place in the state. Yes, its that good.

Homie's Q BBQ. Some of the best BBQ I've had, and right up there with any of the good places in St. Louis/Kansas City/Memphis/etc. I love BBQ and this is some great stuff!

Wise Pies. Great thin crust "custom" pizza place that serves whole pies, or by the slice of what ever they have available. I love the White Pizza, but all of them Ive tried are great!

Here is a website with some places Ive yet to visit: Dr. Thom's Groovy Homepage of Peace, Love and Yogurt

Heading east on US-40 towards Brazil, IN is another great pizza place: Sweet Lou's. Great pizza and a pretty decent sports bar. They have good calzones as well.

In Brazil, IN is a place called Eddie's Sandwich Shop. They are famous for their 'slider' type burgers. They are bigger than a which castle, and more like a traditional hamburger. Very good burger, but very small building ;) Been in business since 1931 and worth the trip if your in the area!

Ill update as I think of more.

(after reading this its no wonder Im tubby!)

it's been 10 years since I lived in the area but I know the highlighted places are worth a stop

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Pizza, chicken, and tenderloins

I'm amazed that Jockamo's Upper Crust (Greenwood across from the "Suds" and E. Washington St in Indy) has only been mentioned once. A "Slaughter House Five" pizza and a "Dirty Helen Brown" beer are hard to beat.

Every mom & pop restaurant in Indiana claims to have the best breaded tenderloin in the state but I believe, after years of research, we may have actually found the best. The Bay Shore Inn, at the entrance to Lake Santee, NE of Greensburg, has by far the best breaded tenderloin I've ever had. They also have great fried chicken on Wednesday & Saturday nights (get there early, they run out) and all the fish you can eat on Friday. And, by the way, it may also win the prize for farthest off the beaten path. :)

Top Bottom