• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirkwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Bloomington
    Since I am busy with school and there doesn't seem to be much training available down in Bloomington I was wonder if you guys could recommend your favorite training book or video geared towards carrying a hand gun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Not exactly a "practical shooting guide" or "training tips", but there is some good basic knowledge here if you're going to be carrying a weapon for self-defense. I've read all of these and recommend them to ANYONE interested in the issue.

GravestExtreme.jpg

book.jpg

handgun2.jpg

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Since I am busy with school and there doesn't seem to be much training available down in Bloomington I was wonder if you guys could recommend your favorite training book or video geared towards carrying a hand gun.

If you want to have some fun and save money get them through Inter-Library loan. :):

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Books:

-Louis Awerbuck's "Tactical Reality" and "More Tactical Reality" are probably my favorites. I usually read both about once a year. They aren't so heavy with nuts and bolts "do this, do that" as they are about the important lessons strewn through them.
    Paladin Press, and others, carry them.

-Tom Givens' "Fighting Smarter" is pretty good. It's a "catch all" type of book, in that it covers everything from choosing a gun to what to do in the aftermath of a shooting. I don't usually like these kinds of books since they almost always skim over everything while delving deep into nothing. But it covers alot of things that don't always get mentioned, like spotting signs of criminal behavior, drug use, or gang membership.
    It's available through Rangemaster in Memphis.

-This one is not really about shooting, but is all about mindest: Jeff Cooper's "Principles of Personal Defense". It's another annual must-read for me, and will get your mind right. It's only about 45 pages, so there is no excuse not to read it often.
    When someone tells me "I think I'm gonna get me a gun" and asks for my advice, I suggest they read this book first. If they read it, it shows they at least have a willingness to accept the responsibilities that come with carrying a gun. If they can't make the effort to read a 45 page book, then I have to question that their heart is in it.
    Also available from Paladin Press.

Videos:

I don't have many, so my opinion may not be very valuable.

-My favorites are Louis Awerbuck's. "Only Hits Count" is about pistol shooting, and "Combat Shotgun" is obviously about the shotgun. Both of these have a briefing session by Awerbuck, and let you look in as he trains a student. I like them, but I think they are best as a refresher if you've been to his classes before.
    The third, "Safe At Home" is a little different. It's about securing your home and stands by itself pretty well. It's probably the best if you have not been to, or are going to, his classes.

-I have some from Thunder Ranch that are OK, but they have a new series now.

-I have Massad Ayoob's "Stressfire Series- Pistol" video. To be honest, I started watching it recently for the first time in a few years, and had to stop after a few minutes. It was contradicting things I had been taught in other classes. That doesn't mean it was wrong or bad, but a lot of it was different from what I had been learning.

Rob Pincus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Thanks for mentioning the Personal Defense Video Series title "Shooting in Realistic Environments" I'm glad that the information is getting passed around and being found valuable!
    I may be doing a course in Northern Indiana later this year, perhaps I'll get to meet some of you then.

Another great book that hasn't been mentioned is Tiger McKee's "Book of Two Guns".

-RJP

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Rob Pincus is on INGO?

I saw your G&A Valhalla promotional DVD. Good stuff. I also signed up for your email newsletters.

Hope you'll stick around and post your thoughts.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Are you coming to central Indiana any time soon?

Thanks for mentioning the Personal Defense Video Series title "Shooting in Realistic Environments" I'm glad that the information is getting passed around and being found valuable!
    I may be doing a course in Northern Indiana later this year, perhaps I'll get to meet some of you then.

Another great book that hasn't been mentioned is Tiger McKee's "Book of Two Guns".

-RJP

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Nice review Barry! Thanks for the info!

You're welcome.
    Not to sound like "don't try this at home/your mileage may vary" but it is true- None come close to an actual class.

And, as Mr Pincus said- Tiger McKee's "Book of Two Guns" is pretty good too. I flat forgot about it.
    It's pretty much a collection of Tiger McKee's notes from classes...and they're pretty good notes! The hand-drawn illustrations are pretty good, especially if being done during a class. The title comes from the fact that most of the training methods are centered around the 1911 pistol and AR15 rifle, but should apply to almost anything.

Top Bottom