• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No, they don't. It is attached to your DL, not your plate.

Very interesting. I had the impression that you guys knew when walking up to the car. You guys don't ever run the DL based on the plate return?

Regardless, it's not gonna change my habit. You'll get my DL and LTCH at the same time, as I'm hoping for a warning instead of a ticket.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It seems to be standard procedure these days to ask. Any weapons/drugs etc. Do you mind if I look. Fishing constantly.

It might depend on where you are.

Is that westside rule? Up here they do not ask, and not certain they care. Depends on the set up of the car I bet.

My dad got stopped for going too slow in Speedway (yes, really, I mean to be honest the big white Mercury looks like an OWI machine) and coppper asked him. He just chuckled and told him "yes, of course" and it ended there.

*shrug*

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Got pulled over for a plate issue 2-3 yrs ago (plate was still valid and paid up but for my previous vehicle and I'd forgotten to put the new sticker on. First time buying used from a dealership, lost in the paperwork and didn't realize they didn't talk to the BMV to transfer the plates, only getting new plates). First thing he asked was if I had any weapons in the truck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is that westside rule? Up here they do not ask, and not certain they care. Depends on the set up of the car I bet.

My dad got stopped for going too slow in Speedway (yes, really, I mean to be honest the big white Mercury looks like an OWI machine) and coppper asked him. He just chuckled and told him "yes, of course" and it ended there.

*shrug*

38th st corridor rule I am pretty sure. Has happened 2 times. Once in each vehicle. Or it could have been the Ingo stickers.
    1st time was in my Van. State LEO said I did not use my signal to lane change. Funny thing, I had been in the left lane for miles...:n00b: He was seriously fishing.
    2nd time in my pick up. LEO really wanted to look around. My back seat is full of tools as I work out of that truck. He was a bit of a wise guy. Both on east bound 38th st past Crown hill.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've not been pulled over in eons. Though, the last time I WAS pulled over, the officer asked if I had "any illegal drugs or weapons".

Illegal? Nope.

I'm more of a don't ask, don't tell guy myself. Besides, if I DID tell, there are days we could be there for a while (multiple handguns, several knives, OC spray, etc...).

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Was pulled over in early spring while out shopping for a grill. Apparently someone in an unmarked ex police car had attempted to pull someone over near the mall and the police received a complaint. Cop pulled me over in Lowes parking lot, because i drive a ex police crown vic. I have a few pro gun stickers on my car and he never asked if any weapons in the car. Only question was if i had any working emergency lights, which i do not, and asked for my dl. Few short minutes and i was on my way.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...it's nice to know if someone has a weapon but Indiana is not a duty to inform state.

Thanks. I always like to be kept up to date on the law.

It seems to be standard procedure these days to ask...

Hmm....

I mean if you look squared away, I don't think the cops give 2 hangs...

Strike one.

Got pulled over April/May 2008 going to NRAAM in Louisville and was wearing 2 guns. The ISP guy ran up to my passenger side window, looked in my open glove box and saw the suppressed Ruger MkII 22/45 and said . . . not a single word. He ran back after doing his 27 thang and told me to slow down.

Were you on your way to see Stacks about where he ditched the truck?

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport

How much camo were you wearing?
    ;)
    lol, I got stopped by a state trooper in town here once because I had a headlight out (recent Subaru Outback) and the first thing he asked me after telling me why he pulled me over was specifically if I had any firearms or knives in the car. It really seems to just be different order of operations depending on the guy. And I had on the poshest clothing possible (khaki shorts and a baby blue v-neck)!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Very interesting. I had the impression that you guys knew when walking up to the car. You guys don't ever run the DL based on the plate return?

Regardless, it's not gonna change my habit. You'll get my DL and LTCH at the same time, as I'm hoping for a warning instead of a ticket.

I don't always run someone's DL after I run a plate. Some departments use a program that runs the DL of the registered owner automatically when the plate is ran, but IPD didn't and IMPD doesn't for some reason.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    My only personal experience was a couple years ago in Vigo County.VCSD deputy pulled me over for speeding 73/55. I have a INGO and another pro gun decal on my SUV. Deputy came to my driver side window and asked for the usual and asked where I was going in such a hurry. I told him I was going home, he asked if I had any weapons in the vehicle to which I replied "Yes I have a 9mm on my right side". He said thank you and he appreciated the info....Ran my plates and just got a verbal warning.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My only personal experience was a couple years ago in Vigo County.VCSD deputy pulled me over for speeding 73/55. I have a INGO and another pro gun decal on my SUV. Deputy came to my driver side window and asked for the usual and asked where I was going in such a hurry. I told him I was going home, he asked if I had any weapons in the vehicle to which I replied "Yes I have a 9mm on my right side". He said thank you and he appreciated the info....Ran my plates and just got a verbal warning.

He must have been a rookie, who is still trying to get his driver interaction right.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Out of the last 5 times i've been stopped, going back about 10 years, the NRA sticker drew 1 dirty look; another officer was hostile but it didn't seem to be about the sticker; and the other 3 were friendly. Nobody asked me about weapons--and I look mid-eastern and have a beard.

Protocol question for the LEOs here: is it better to:

1)wait with hands at 10&2 and wait to be asked for my license

2)be seen shifting around, reaching to 5:00 while you approach the vehicle, and then have DL & LTCH in hand when you get to the window?

I'm guessing #1.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    The last time I was pulled over (20 years ago) it was a young trooper, security system had gone off at 3am in the gun shop I worked for. On my way home got pulled over. Trooper asked me to step back to his car, with him walking in front of me he asked “any guns, knives or weapons?” When I answered yes, it was obvious he learned something that night.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Out of the last 5 times i've been stopped, going back about 10 years, the NRA sticker drew 1 dirty look; another officer was hostile but it didn't seem to be about the sticker; and the other 3 were friendly. Nobody asked me about weapons--and I look mid-eastern and have a beard.

Protocol question for the LEOs here: is it better to:

1)wait with hands at 10&2 and wait to be asked for my license

2)be seen shifting around, reaching to 5:00 while you approach the vehicle, and then have DL & LTCH in hand when you get to the window?

I'm guessing #1.

I too am concerned about fidgeting around as they are approaching the vehicle. When I get my wallet, it's really obvious because I have to move a significant amount to reach it and it takes a while.

The last few times I was pulled over, I just waited calmly with the window down. When the troopers asked me for license and registration, I told them that I had to reach in my back pocket for my wallet and waited for them to tell me to go ahead. I do not know if that action has the Kirk Freeman Seal of Approval or not.

Top Bottom