FBI Qualification Drill - Could you pass it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Shot this course with the guys from the gun shop just a couple of weeks ago. Our goal is to get the shop employees together once a month and shoot some drills. If we are going to stand behind the counter armed we should be able to shoot. We shot the course cold and everyone passed. My score was 100%. In full disclosure I had a gun malfunction on the 3 yard line so officially 90%. But I was expecting the gun might possibly act up.

Later we ran the same course using our carbines. I just switched to the head box as a scoring area. I also cheated and transitioned to my handgun instead of reloading the carbine or switching shoulders to the weak side.

Overall I like the new qual. It uses 50 rounds which is nice from an ammo management standpoint. The only thing I would like to see included would be some lateral movement on the 3,5,7 yard lines.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    On the same topic. If this group were to pick a qualification with the idea of recording a “score” to use as a “benchmark”, which would yo choose? The new FBI or the new ILEA qualification? Why?

My beef with ILEA is that I can’t find a supply of targets without buying several online, plus the targets are big and overwhelm the target stands. We used the older B27 and the scoring zones have changed. But that is a petty complaint. The large targets are nice because you can see when people miss versus shooting off the paper. Hard to see 50 holes so I score points down.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The big talking usually ends when I run people through this qual IRL. Many people drop all of the 25 yard shots. Of course you can do that and still pass. A lot of people also throw the shot after the reload. A decent shooter can of course pass this drill but most of you seem to forget, the talkers out weigh the shooters by a very big margin. The other deceptively easy drill is the 10-10-10 drill which I have yet to have anyone pass at the beginning of class.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The big talking usually ends when I run people through this qual IRL. Many people drop all of the 25 yard shots. Of course you can do that and still pass. A lot of people also throw the shot after the reload. A decent shooter can of course pass this drill but most of you seem to forget, the talkers out weigh the shooters by a very big margin. The other deceptively easy drill is the 10-10-10 drill which I have yet to have anyone pass at the beginning of class.
    Whad da you know?:):

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    You mean that the interwebs people are not all great shots?

My favorite is the dude with the latest wiz bang gear that has no idea how to use it and will not take advice or instructions.

Btw

When you have qualify every 90 days it gets kinda boring it’s almost like work!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You mean that the interwebs people are not all great shots?

My favorite is the dude with the latest wiz bang gear that has no idea how to use it and will not take advice or instructions.

Btw

When you have qualify every 90 days it gets kinda boring it’s almost like work!
    What did you do to require 90 day qualms? As an MP we were at most yearly, but most often biannual?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Shot this course with the guys from the gun shop just a couple of weeks ago. Our goal is to get the shop employees together once a month and shoot some drills. If we are going to stand behind the counter armed we should be able to shoot. We shot the course cold and everyone passed. My score was 100%. In full disclosure I had a gun malfunction on the 3 yard line so officially 90%. But I was expecting the gun might possibly act up.

Later we ran the same course using our carbines. I just switched to the head box as a scoring area. I also cheated and transitioned to my handgun instead of reloading the carbine or switching shoulders to the weak side.

Overall I like the new qual. It uses 50 rounds which is nice from an ammo management standpoint. The only thing I would like to see included would be some lateral movement on the 3,5,7 yard lines.
    Call me when you got that setup. Wait, I'm allowed out of the house?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I was always in a RDF unit unless I was a instructor or Drill Sergeant.
    You also had to go medical screening ect. all the other crap then no leave, schools, passes while on green cycle. All your equipment was palletized and ready to go vehicles were pre staged at the airfield it was a major pain in the a$$.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I saw the video of the new FBI qualification course this morning. It looks like a fun one to try.

HRFUNK, on Youtube, is trying all of the qualifications from all of the states. He just finished Missouri, his 28th state. It is interesting how each state sets up their COF

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So to shoot at instructor level you need to hit 3 shots at the 25 yard line assuming that you hit all of the others. Big deal. It was a sobriety test before and it is a sobriety test now.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Seems simple enough. I didnt see anything that would really most shooters, who actually practice. I will have to actually give it a try before continuing to spew my confidence. Lol

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not sure if I would go as far as saying this is a sobriety test, although I got a chuckle when I read that post. Kudos sir! Qualifications typically are designed to be hard for some people to pass, passable by most given the allotted time for training and ammo, and super easy for some. Hopefully the skills being tested are representative of those that are necessary. In the case of FBI qual these seem like fundamentals that we should all master. I am not a fan of training to a standard but I recognize the need for a testable evaluation to record proficiency.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not sure if I would go as far as saying this is a sobriety test, although I got a chuckle when I read that post. Kudos sir! Qualifications typically are designed to be hard for some people to pass, passable by most given the allotted time for training and ammo, and super easy for some. Hopefully the skills being tested are representative of those that are necessary. In the case of FBI qual these seem like fundamentals that we should all master. I am not a fan of training to a standard but I recognize the need for a testable evaluation to record proficiency.

Please expound on your not training to a standard theory. For myself having a goal to train to (Say Master class, or Black Belt or whatever is a huge help)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Please expound on your not training to a standard theory. For myself having a goal to train to (Say Master class, or Black Belt or whatever is a huge help)

Training to a standard would suggest to some that their training is good or enough. For instance I can shoot this FBI qualification 100% every time so I have all of the skills I need and learned what I need to know.

There have been threads in the past comparing firearms training with what we might call a traditional or eastern martial art. I personally consider shooting to be a western martial art. In shooting there is both a competitive and combative aspect. There are forms/kata/poomse. Think about the drawstroke for example. There are small techniques to perfect or to compare and contrast between the various arts. What does this mean as far as training to a standard. I practice TaeKwonDo 3 times a week. I learn forms, patterns, kicks, blocks, terminology. To get a black belt I had to pass a test or rather a standard. Passing the test does not mean I have Mastered the techniques, it does not mean that my learning is done or training is complete. It doesn’t even mean I am better then other younger more physically fit students. It means I showed proficiency to pass the standard. I continued, others passed the test and moved on to other interests.

I agree with you about setting goals. I also see the reason to have scored tests. When working with people my goal is to help them to develop the skills necessary to pass the test. I think the FBI exam is a good test of basic skills. But more importantly I want them to put these skills into context and hopefully they will see the importance of continued training and practice.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Like most LE exercises it is not how good you can do but getting better at what you can do. The shooter in last place is far better than those that don’t try. Wether it is B8, B27’s, cardboard peeps, or big baby bottles, set your base and improve. Just because skill set is not a requirement for handling guns, perhaps one should pretend it is.

Top Bottom