• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Does "shall not be infringed" not mean shall not be infringed?

reading is hard and stuff

So, what is the opinion of folks here regarding background check requirements? Requirements for a LTCH in order to carry a handgun? Fingerprinting in order to get a LTCH? Etc etc etc?

I smile at even small victories for liberty no matter what amendment it's tied to. We've had some wins and a few loses as of late. I won't be satisfied though until constitutional carry is law of the land. No one should be required to have a permission slip to exercise a right. By requiring permission, a right becomes a privilege that can be used as a weapon. Even folks who truly believe they're ardent supporters of liberty can't always see how damaging it is. Would we even have internal fighting over OC activism if not for the fear of losing permission to exercise a God given right?

I'm not required to have a background check performed when I sell my toaster to the neighbor. Firearms are property and I should be able to sell my property as I see fit. I also believe that felons have a right to self protection and should not be banned from having a firearm. Problem isn't with the gun, it's with the person. If they can not be trusted with a gun they shouldn't be out or, in some cases, breathing.

Anyway, you asked for opinions and that's mine. YMMV

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When rights become privileges the people that have them become privileged and are more susceptible to compromising to keep their status.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The AR-15 is "unusual"? The most popular platform in the country is unusual? The most popular platform which has existed for over 60 years is unusual?

This does not even pass the straight face test.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    “The Act substantially serves the government’s interest in protecting public safety, and it does so without significantly burdening what the Supreme Court has now explained is the core Second Amendment right of ‘law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and home,’ ” she wrote.

Here, let me fix it...

“The Act substantially serves the government’s interest. ” she wrote.

There, that's better.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It took a year and a half, but the this decision has been appealed and the 4th Circuit has struck down the law restricting "assault weapons" and "high capacity" magazines in Maryland. Citing the Supreme Court's District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago decisions, the court ruled that 2A rights deserved strict scrutiny before they can be restricted.

BREAKING: Fourth Circuit Strikes Down Maryland's 'Assault Weapon' and 'High Capacity' Magazine Bans

:rockwoot:

That sounds like really good news. I'll have to read the details when I have a bit more time.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It took a year and a half, but the this decision has been appealed and the 4th Circuit has struck down the law restricting "assault weapons" and "high capacity" magazines in Maryland. Citing the Supreme Court's District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago decisions, the court ruled that 2A rights deserved strict scrutiny before they can be restricted.

BREAKING: Fourth Circuit Strikes Down Maryland's 'Assault Weapon' and 'High Capacity' Magazine Bans

:rockwoot:

Nice to hear good news!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's nice to hear that the world is occasionally saner than it seems sometimes.

When we're surrounded by gloom and despair, agony and tribulation, yeah...good news of this sort is like finding out somebody brought donuts into work this morning and you're the first one there! :D

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    We think it is beyond dispute from the record before us, which contains much of the same evidence cited in the aforementioned decisions, that law-abiding citizens commonly possess semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15. Between 1990 and 2012, more than 8 million AR- and AK-platform semi-automatic rifles alone were manufactured in or imported into the United States. In 2012, semi-automatic sporting rifles accounted for twenty percent of all retail firearms sales.

For perspective, we note that in 2012, the number of AR- and AK-style weapons manufactured and imported into the United States was more than double the number of Ford F-150 trucks sold, the most commonly sold vehicle in the United States

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    We think it is beyond dispute from the record before us, which contains much of the same evidence cited in the aforementioned decisions, that law-abiding citizens commonly possess semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15. Between 1990 and 2012, more than 8 million AR- and AK-platform semi-automatic rifles alone were manufactured in or imported into the United States. In 2012, semi-automatic sporting rifles accounted for twenty percent of all retail firearms sales.

For perspective, we note that in 2012, the number of AR- and AK-style weapons manufactured and imported into the United States was more than double the number of Ford F-150 trucks sold, the most commonly sold vehicle in the United States
    Period. Exclamation point!

Top Bottom