Not open for further replies.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    8th I'm at Crown Point for the LC hamfest :P

I've no objections to any other dates ;) Might be able to bring some food or something this time - convince the wife to bake some cookies maybe.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Just had a random thought. How opposed would the Winimac range be if we brought some targets that were more "fun" to shoot? Assuming that they were all biodegradable and such. My thought is that the next shoot, being close to halloween, could involve things like pumpkins. Maybe a AR pumpkin carving contest? Just a thought. :)

P.S.- if the range did not care, we would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone. It would be a lot more fun to shoot a pumpkin or watermelon than paper targets and we would be saving their plywood which we always tend to obliterate. ;)

P.S.S.- Even if we cannot shoot "real" pumpkins, I would be more than happy to print out some paper target pumpkins and even offer up some type of prize for whoever's "carved" pumpkin got voted to be the best!

Last edited:

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    The rules say paper targets only-but I second the motion to have 'interesting' paper targets

In that case, I have 2 options in mind. The first 1 being a blank slate paper pumpkin that you carve with your bullets. The second would be a photo shopped pre-carved pumpkin with point values edited on different parts.

I am currently at work, but when I get off I will make a quick Example of my second option

*EDIT* - Got off work late. Pretty tired, but I still photo shopped a quick example of my second idea, which at this point I think is the best of the 2.

picture.php

Rules are as follows-
    Distance: 25yds
    Guns: Any rifle or handgun (excluding shotguns for obvious reasons)
    Number of shots: 10
    Shooting position: Any
    Time limit: None

Scoring-
    Orange on pumpkin: 1pt
    Leaves/stem: 3pts
    Eyes, nose, mouth (yellow): 5pts
    Pink part of nose: 10pts

Also, as you may hove noticed there is an additional ring to the right of the pumpkin. This is the "bonus" target. It is not required that you shoot the bonus, but if you choose to you are allowed only 2 shots at this target. The way the bonus works is if your round is ENTIRELY in the yellow, you get 20pts. If your shot is in or touching the orange at all, you lose 10pts from your overall score.

Does this sound like fun to everyone? Obviously this was just a quick mock up and will be improved if people are interested. I just thought it'd be fun to make our next shoot a little more "festive". I would happily supply the targets and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize! As a reminder, this would be an ADDITIONAL competition to the already set up pistol/rifle competition.

Let me know if you guys are interested and have any additional ideas to this as well! :)

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    @Gober135 LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! I'm sure we can fit 2 comptetions in the day.
    @Joe c what u started! :xmad::D

It was bound to happen eventually.
    I just kicked over the hornets nest.
    I still have a "little extra" for next time if I can make it.
    Come on 15th.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Haha. Just wait till i start getting super creative! ;)

My competition is still a work in progress though, so ANY and ALL suggestions would be appreciated! What else would you guys like to see?

P.S.- When voting, keep in mind i'm not free every weekend in Oct. so if you want to see my competition in action i advise you vote with me! :whistle:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It was bound to happen eventually.
    I just kicked over the hornets nest.
    I still have a "little extra" for next time if I can make it.
    Come on 15th.

Uh Joe, just so you know, I've just ordered an American Trigger AR-Gold trigger system for that yellow 6.5 Grendel. If it is not on back-order then I'll have it installed by the time of the next shoot. Should pretty dramatically increase the accuracy of that gun and make the pink spot in the nose of that pumpkin target an easy shot placement for you. My long range Grendel has a Timney trigger installed and ragged single hole groups at the 100 yard line are pretty common, this AR-Gold trigger is supposed to be much better than the Timney. I'm counting on you to win this time!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    P.S.- When voting, keep in mind i'm not free every weekend in Oct. so if you want to see my competition in action i advise you vote with me! :whistle:

Hum... Is he trying to buy votes! ;) Wow! He is not in LAKE county but he sure does read/smell like our LAKE county officials. :rockwoot:

Uh Joe, just so you know, I've just ordered an American Trigger AR-Gold trigger system for that yellow 6.5 Grendel. If it is not on back-order then I'll have it installed by the time of the next shoot. Should pretty dramatically increase the accuracy of that gun and make the pink spot in the nose of that pumpkin target an easy shot placement for you. My long range Grendel has a Timney trigger installed and ragged single hole groups at the 100 yard line are pretty common, this AR-Gold trigger is supposed to be much better than the Timney.

Let the arms race begin! :):
    2007.08.17icbm.JPG

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Uh Joe, just so you know, I've just ordered an American Trigger AR-Gold trigger system for that yellow 6.5 Grendel. If it is not on back-order then I'll have it installed by the time of the next shoot. Should pretty dramatically increase the accuracy of that gun and make the pink spot in the nose of that pumpkin target an easy shot placement for you. My long range Grendel has a Timney trigger installed and ragged single hole groups at the 100 yard line are pretty common, this AR-Gold trigger is supposed to be much better than the Timney. I'm counting on you to win this time!

Looks like I'll be investing in some 6.5

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Uh Joe, just so you know, I've just ordered an American Trigger AR-Gold trigger system for that yellow 6.5 Grendel. If it is not on back-order then I'll have it installed by the time of the next shoot. Should pretty dramatically increase the accuracy of that gun and make the pink spot in the nose of that pumpkin target an easy shot placement for you.

Confident enough to go for the bonus?:D

Also, that reminds me, should there be a scoring difference depending on the size of the bullet used? Meaning a .22 round is going to have to be dead on to land in that 10pt area whereas a much larger round just needs to be close to puncture part of it. Thoughts?

Hum... Is he trying to buy votes! ;) Wow! He is not in LAKE county but he sure does read/smell like our LAKE county officials. :rockwoot:

Well i am in Porter County...couldn't resist the influence that long!

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Alright. I may have to have someone double check my scoring after the competition to ensure i'm doing it correctly as i've never "scored" a target.

Also, should the bonus have more of a penalty for hitting the orange or does a +20 to -10 ratio seem reasonable?

Sorry for the thread jack, but this is kinda on topic right?:dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Confident enough to go for the bonus?:D
    Well my money is on Joe most days, he drinks less coffee and shakes a lot less than me. But if you want, I can bring out my long range Grendel and we can put 5 shots with that gun into your 20 point bonus. Yes, that gun is THAT good.

Also, that reminds me, should there be a scoring difference depending on the size of the bullet used? Meaning a .22 round is going to have to be dead on to land in that 10pt area whereas a much larger round just needs to be close to puncture part of it. Thoughts?
    So what you are saying is that if I bring out a 458 Socom you want to disqualify me because it will punch DIME size holes in the paper :popcorn:

Alright. I may have to have someone double check my scoring after the competition to ensure i'm doing it correctly as i've never "scored" a target.
    We had 3 of us score, in committee, at the last shoot. Ultimately we all agreed on the way to score, and then the score. That eliminated any sort of bias.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Well my money is on Joe most days, he drinks less coffee and shakes a lot less than me. But if you want, I can bring out my long range Grendel and we can put 5 shots with that gun into your 20 point bonus. Yes, that gun is THAT good.

So what you are saying is that if I bring out a 458 Socom you want to disqualify me because it will punch DIME size holes in the paper :popcorn:

We had 3 of us score, in committee, at the last shoot. Ultimately we all agreed on the way to score, and then the score. That eliminated any sort of bias.

1.) Luckily you only are allowed 2 shots of the 10 at the bonus. And remember, even if you BARELY touch the outer orange you lose 10pts. But maybe we should just leave that gun out of the competition. ;)

2.) Not disqualify by any means, but should there be some sort of equalizer for overly large rounds? (never set up a competition before, but i'm trying to make it as fair as possible where both Mr. BB Gun and Mrs. .50cal have an equal chance of winning)

3.) That sounds like a good idea!

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    ... but keep in mind that the last half of Oct is usually extremly busy with guys sighting in for hunting. have seen plenty of 30-60 minuit waits during this time

I don't know how to look at that. Are Hoosier hunters so bad that they need to sight in at 25 yards because they can't hit anything farther than that? or ... Are they such good stalkers/blind builders/etc. that all their shots are at 25 yards or less? :dunno:

On a serious note, do most hunters sight in at the 100 yard line and then sight in a few at 25 yards just to check the POI?

Jediagh, I'm going to check my stash of stuff and get back to you with a really cool idea for a target. I got a busy week ahead so don't let me forget to get back to you. I'll PM you with details.

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    The last 7 deer i have got have all been under 30 yds including last years 10 point. 35-40 yards is about the longest I can get on my own property because of the trees. When I used to hunt the inlaws place with cornfields, my longest shot was about 60. Most hunters do sight at 25-50, especialy with slug guns

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom