Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks for the info. I guess you should expect to have hunters wanting access to the 25 yard line then.

Yes & No. It is first come, first serve you know. :D What we did last year was take up 75% of the area. We left the far left (for some of the hunters that came). We eventually spilled into the 50 yard as well and left 2 benches open on teh 25 yard.

But then again this past time we also moved our stuff of the far right for the son and dad that came. :D

We just need to buy a range in EC or Hammond or Gary & we would not have to worry about these so called hunters. :cool:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Whats farm property just outside of Crown Point going for these days... Would be a good location for a range, close enough to most of us and far enough out that we wouldn't have too many govmental types to deal with...

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I will vote for the 22nd. If I am home I will try to make a appearance. I toke my last vacation day for the last on. If I can make it I will give jedi a break from the grill so he can meet & shoot. :)

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I got a few questions about the meet. What should I bring besides ammo and guns. Do I need paper targets or metal ones or non at all, And how old would one have to be to go to the range on their own?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I got a few questions about the meet. What should I bring besides ammo and guns. Do I need paper targets or metal ones or non at all, And how old would one have to be to go to the range on their own?

Under 18 need a parent/leage guardian to come with them. Over 18 can come by themselves this is per the DNR Range rules posted.

As for your other question...
    What should I bring?
    Your firearms and some ammo, off course! No full-autos are allowed on the range but everything else (handgun, rifle, shotgun) is. Also your PAPER targets ONLY, a staple gun (to hang the targets), eye & ear protection.

What should I bring (Non Firearm Related)?
    Here is what some members bring in addition to their firearms to help them during the day.
    - Bug spray! Bug spray!
    - Sunscreen
    - Folding/Camping Chairs (there is only one two-person bench on the 25' yard range)
    - Shooting mat
    - Binoculars/Spotting Scope
    - Small tool kit to adjust sights/quick fix firearm
    - Eye and Hearing protection

- Staple gun to hang the targets to the wooden boards
    - Bug spray! Bug spray!

I see member "John Doe" is bringing his 1911, can I shoot it?
    Most members bring their guns to shot and allow others to shoot them as well. If you see a gun on the list you would like to shoot, ask the owner (post it) what type of ammo brand they like so you could use it. Some members supply the ammo. Be considerate of others and bring some more if you can so everyone can try the firearm.

What about safety after all this is a public range? I have heard bad stuff about public ranges.
    While the range is open to everyone typically what occurs when we go has been that we (NWI INGO) end up taking over the 25 and 50 yard ranges. This in turn has helped us to police ourselves and ensured our own safety. We setup a table with the "NWI INGO Range Rules" and just ensure that any new shooters we have with us are being supervised.

Do I have to shoot only from the bench sitting down?
    There are no rules for "how" to shoot at the range.
    You can shoot by...
    - sitting from the bench
    - standing from the bench
    - sitting cross-leg from the bench
    - laying on the floor from the bench

We have even shot the boards CLOSER than the 25 yards (ie. we walk up about 15 yards from the boards) as well when we control the full 25 yard range. We keep a few people at teh benches to ensure that no one is touching any of the firearms there while we have shooters downrange shooting.

What is the cost to come?
    The range is FREE as it is a public Indiana range. The cost you will incur is for the ammo you shoot (most people bring their own) and for the targets you bring to shoot. FREE targets can be downloaded from the internet (see below). A couple people usually bring staple guns and are willing to share so there is no cost to hang the targets.

Bring eye/ear protection. If you can bring some snacks to share, if not that is OK too. If you have an odd caliber toy then its generally considered good form to bring extra ammo for that gun and share that but its reasonable to limit the amount of shooting if the ammo is expensive.

The group (INGO NWI) as a whole gives a donation of plywood to the range each time we go. The chairperson for the plywood pays for the plywood and brings it and takes donations from others for it.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    [/COLOR]What is the cost to come?
    The range is FREE as it is a public Indiana range. The cost you will incur is for the ammo you shoot (most people bring their own) and for the targets you bring to shoot. BUT MOST OF THE COST INCURRED IS IN THE FULL TANK OF GASOLINE TO GET THERE AND BACK.FREE targets can be downloaded from the internet (see below). A couple people usually bring staple guns and are willing to share so there is no cost to hang the targets.

FIFY! :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom