• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Panama, I'm not really offended by anything you said. I was, however, offended by this, from Jack Ryan:

"The thought they need some pack of kids from Indianapolis, Danville or where ever to come save them from hogs in their own back yard...

Let's just say the people who live here don't put a dime on the front site of their AR15 and play with it in their apartment in front of the TV to practice because the shooting range is too far, too expensive, or it's raining outside."

I don't think that is a straight answer. I think it is obvious that it was intended to be offensive. I do, however, think you took on some of that tone when you asked where I lived, although you clarified that later. I don't think you meant offense, because I've seen many of your other posts, and they've always been great to read. I do, however, think you misunderstood my response to Jack Ryan. (Also someone who has had many posts I've enjoyed, over time, which is why I don't understand why he came at some of us so hard.)

I also don't think anyone was going out of their way to attack farmers. The guys who I spoke to that had zeroed in on them were not farmers, but city-dwelling hunters, and good ones, at that. I simply pointed out that they clammed up when they thought about someone else coming down to hunt the hogs.

Back to the topic--I doubt the hogs have been hunted out. I don't think that's possible, although their numbers may be small at this point. In Texas, everyone and his brother is armed to the teeth and is hunting hogs, while the population explodes, causing many farmers, including every one I've asked, to welcome hunters. If the hogs populate here like they have there, I honestly believe many (not all, but many) farmers will have no problem with people coming along to hunt them. They damage the heck out of crops and land, and are a scourge. Because of that, I hope they don't populate here, but if they do, I'm happy to shoot me some bacon.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Principal Skinr,
    No worries on my part. :cheers:

As a piece offering, here are some Texas trail cam pictures, I am sure you can relate to.

There is a cornucopia of game down in Texas, there are a couple here I don't even know what they are! And I lived in Texas for a year! But the last one, there is no mistaking that species, they are worse than wild pigs!

I think the last picture may belong in the "Politicical Forum" but they are all real Texas trail cam pictures!

tc1.png

tc2f.png

tc3.png

tc4.png

tc5.png

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Back to the topic--I doubt the hogs have been hunted out. I don't think that's possible, although their numbers may be small at this point.

I'm not saying they ARE hunted out in Indiana. I don't doubt for a minute they could be hunted out if IF no more were turned loose and the people WHO LIVE ON THE LAND where they are WANTED THEM HUNTED OUT.

It's a plain and simple FACT they have been hunted out in this exact area before. During the mid 1800's hogs were a majore source of income for the area and it was the accepted custom for the entire area to be "fence out" to keep livestock out of your crops. Including the rampant hog population which was allowed to run wild at will. It's a fact those hogs were hunted, trapped, and killed out of existance outside of a pen by the time the state was predominately requiring livestock operators to "fence in" their livestock.

It's historical fact.

I don't doubt it can be done again. If they could do it then with much inferior weapons and technology, I highly doubt it would be a problem now.

Feel free to go ahead and believe what ever you want to though. It's not an attack, it's not a result of any offense. It's simply my opinion and a statement of what I know to be a fact as the reason behind my opinion on this one specific statement, "I don't think that's possible" and has nothing to do with the rest of my opinions discussed in this thread.

I think it's possible, I think it would not be difficult at all if the people who live here ALL decided they want to do it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'm not saying they ARE hunted out in Indiana. I don't doubt for a minute they could be hunted out if IF no more were turned loose and the people WHO LIVE ON THE LAND where they are WANTED THEM HUNTED OUT.

It's a plain and simple FACT they have been hunted out in this exact area before. During the mid 1800's hogs were a majore source of income for the area and it was the accepted custom for the entire area to be "fence out" to keep livestock out of your crops. Including the rampant hog population which was allowed to run wild at will. It's a fact those hogs were hunted, trapped, and killed out of existance outside of a pen by the time the state was predominately requiring livestock operators to "fence in" their livestock.

It's historical fact.

I don't doubt it can be done again. If they could do it then with much inferior weapons and technology, I highly doubt it would be a problem now.

Feel free to go ahead and believe what ever you want to though. It's not an attack, it's not a result of any offense. It's simply my opinion and a statement of what I know to be a fact as the reason behind my opinion on this one specific statement, "I don't think that's possible" and has nothing to do with the rest of my opinions discussed in this thread.

I think it's possible, I think it would not be difficult at all if the people who live here ALL decided they want to do it.

I didn't know that. Maybe the climate helps control them, too, with fewer places to hide in the winter. They can still hide pretty well in the south, in the winter.

Cool stuff on the trail cam! As I've laced up my snake boots, I never gave a thought to mountain lions! Wow!

Is that small animal some kind of badger? I'd love to have the tail from that fox. Nice!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I noticed '09 on the photos. I'll bet that water hole was particularly popular then. They had a heck of a drought the last few years in parts fo SE Texas, where we hunt. The hogs mostly moved out or were very inactive, and '09 was the worst year. We had to work really hard to find them and get a good shot.

They've told me they've had plenty of rain in 2010 and that the hogs are back out in force this year. I'm itching to get down there, and am planning on October, if the wife is OK with it.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    After Google'ing an ocelot, it still looks like a bobcat to me.

You are correct. Bobcats have short tails. Hence the name "bob"cat

bob 2 (b
    obreve.gif
    b)
    n. 1. A small, knoblike pendent object, such as a plumb bob.

I think 6birds got his google searches mixed up:dunno:

God I friggin' love the internet. I learn all kinds of random crap everyday that I may otherwise never have known.

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    Ok, so that everyone understands.
    Last January, I get a phone call from an ex coworker who is a great white hunter, telling me that they are hunting coyotes in my area next Saturday. Wants to know if I want to come along, says he has called all my neighbors and has permission. Thursday, my fuel pump goes out. I email and tell him I am out.
    Saturday morning I am getting dressed to go out and fight with my fuel pump, and I look out and see a coyote in my field. I had lost about 10 cats in the last year, and figure the other "hunters" had kicked this one up. I grabbed the closest rifle and shot the Coyote. I hit him at 200 yards with open sights. It staggers off. I looked down my driveway to see a guy in a cammo truck. I figure he is coyote hunting, and I yell at him that I got one. I get my clothes on, and decide I better make sure the Coyote is dead. I get about 200 yards out, with a better gun, and find a blood trail. I turn around and see three guys on my property with a dog running for me. They ask if they can run it down. I say sure. We run about a mile and a half and hear a shot just short of a swamp. I know the neighbors, happen to be ex coworkers of the first guy too. These other guys were on the radio tracking the first three guy's dog. Coyote is dead. 15 trucks show up in the next 5 minutes. They give me a ride home(two are cops from the next county over). Another neighbor calls me 2 hours later and ask if I gave these 30 people permission to hunt my land. I tell him I gave 3 guys permission to chase one wounded coyote at 10 am, and it was dead. He tells me he has talked to all of out neighbors, and they have been running these guys off all day, and they never had permission from anyone but me. I apologize, and promise never to let it happen again.

I gave one other person(ex co worker) permission to hunt coon on my land.
    He came back later when I was not home with thirty billies to run my woods.
    The same neighbor (ex co worker)recommended they leave.
    I am a land owner.
    My parents are land owners.
    My grand parents were land owners...and on back to 1780 that I know of.
    I am appalled that someone would get permission to hunt and then use that as a springboard to get away with anything they could think of.
    Those who take offense at being told to get the Hell off, need to realize that *******s have preceded you. These started out as people who I had worked with, but had no respect for me or my property, or my neighbors property.
    And there have been three more groups I have watched lights and dogs howling while they chased coon over three property lines onto my property, and I have had to yell out my back door to get the hell off my property before I removed them.
    Someone tells you to get the hell out, you better get the hell out.
    Blow me or them any crap, I have no sympathy for you.
    You want to hunt, go buy the land yourself.
    This is more of a problem to rurals than illegals.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ok, so that everyone understands.
    Last January, I get a phone call from an ex coworker who is a great white hunter, telling me that they are hunting coyotes in my area next Saturday. Wants to know if I want to come along, says he has called all my neighbors and has permission. Thursday, my fuel pump goes out. I email and tell him I am out.
    Saturday morning I am getting dressed to go out and fight with my fuel pump, and I look out and see a coyote in my field. I had lost about 10 cats in the last year, and figure the other "hunters" had kicked this one up. I grabbed the closest rifle and shot the Coyote. I hit him at 200 yards with open sights. It staggers off. I looked down my driveway to see a guy in a cammo truck. I figure he is coyote hunting, and I yell at him that I got one. I get my clothes on, and decide I better make sure the Coyote is dead. I get about 200 yards out, with a better gun, and find a blood trail. I turn around and see three guys on my property with a dog running for me. They ask if they can run it down. I say sure. We run about a mile and a half and hear a shot just short of a swamp. I know the neighbors, happen to be ex coworkers of the first guy too. These other guys were on the radio tracking the first three guy's dog. Coyote is dead. 15 trucks show up in the next 5 minutes. They give me a ride home(two are cops from the next county over). Another neighbor calls me 2 hours later and ask if I gave these 30 people permission to hunt my land. I tell him I gave 3 guys permission to chase one wounded coyote at 10 am, and it was dead. He tells me he has talked to all of out neighbors, and they have been running these guys off all day, and they never had permission from anyone but me. I apologize, and promise never to let it happen again.

I gave one other person(ex co worker) permission to hunt coon on my land.
    He came back later when I was not home with thirty billies to run my woods.
    The same neighbor (ex co worker)recommended they leave.
    I am a land owner.
    My parents are land owners.
    My grand parents were land owners...and on back to 1780 that I know of.
    I am appalled that someone would get permission to hunt and then use that as a springboard to get away with anything they could think of.
    Those who take offense at being told to get the Hell off, need to realize that *******s have preceded you. These started out as people who I had worked with, but had no respect for me or my property, or my neighbors property.
    And there have been three more groups I have watched lights and dogs howling while they chased coon over three property lines onto my property, and I have had to yell out my back door to get the hell off my property before I removed them.
    Someone tells you to get the hell out, you better get the hell out.
    Blow me or them any crap, I have no sympathy for you.
    You want to hunt, go buy the land yourself.
    This is more of a problem to rurals than illegals.

Can't get more plain than that.

Replace coons and coyotes with hogs and you've got most of the story about "I heard there's some hawgs down in Lawrence county! They need our haaayelp! Let's run down there and show them farmers how to do it. Have you ever hunted hawgs before?"

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    We hunt them in Texas every Jan from elevated blinds over feeders (75-125 yards). Any means is legal in TX but I like a .44 Mag rifle (Indiana deer gun). Head shot. There is no limit & no season. All you need is a predator's license (about $40.)

Top Bottom