• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Actually that is not correct. Not even a little bit.

Show me a farmer who does not know where every one of his stock is. Especially since the hogs are raised in confinement environments so they can grow quicker, leaner, and more efficiently.

Most of the feral hog problems we have in Indiana are from some idiots who are to lazy to drive their worthless tails to another state to kill pigs. So they trapped pigs and brought them back to this state. So they could introduce a very destructive animal into this states environment.

I had heard years ago about them escaping from some of the pay to hunt businesses in Soutwest Indiana and beginning to become a problem esp since they breed so quickly. The businesses brought them in thinking it would increase the amount of pay hunters visiting their "pens". I think the state outlawed the import of non native species to hunt as a result of the escapes???? I could be mistaken. I havent seen any up here and hope to never see the destruction they cause. Have seen plenty of land in Florida that these animals have destroyed.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    This is what has happened a lot and has closed a lot of doors to good honest hunters and for all the good i apologize for thier descreations.

I'm sad those kinds of things happen, but I never apologize for something someone else did. Next thing you know, I'll be having to apologize for slavery or something like that.

I also don't apologize for owning an ATV without being a landowner. There's lots of places to ride, such as Coal Creek Mining Company and Royal Blue in TN. Or, Hatfield McCoy National Forest, in WV. Mostly, I've ridden at the Badlands in Attica. If it pisses someone off, they are misguided. They should only be mad at those that ride unethically on land where they are not supposed to be. When people make blanket statements about groups of people, they start to sound like liberals, to me.

baddog99z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Indiana Wild Hogs

I wasn't aware Indiana had a wild hog problem. I know nothing about hunting wild hogs.
    How does one hunt them? Is a dog necessary? I live in Southern Indiana. (Crawford County.) I understand there are wild hogs in Crawford County.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    you guys should check out indianaoutdoorsman.com there is a guy on there who claims to hunt a lot of hogs here in indiana and is even willing to take people along and hunt with him! they even have a section dedicated to hog hunting on there

w2k0311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Wanamaker
    Took one in OK. I heard the possum cops went airborne there and wasted hundreds. I have not eaten one, but I hear that a clean killed ferrel is good eaten.

rabbit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I don't ever want to see them get started around here! If they get started your deer and turkey will become few and far between! I have friends in Texas that are payed to kill wild hogs from helicopters and they rarely pick up any of them! They killed over 500 in one day this year! The ranchers their want them all dead because of killing newborn calf's!

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't ever want to see them get started around here! If they get started your deer and turkey will become few and far between! I have friends in Texas that are payed to kill wild hogs from helicopters and they rarely pick up any of them! They killed over 500 in one day this year! The ranchers their want them all dead because of killing newborn calf's!

Not entirely true. I spent this past winter and spring in Oklahoma and was able to kill multiple hogs on property with an abundance of deer and turkey. They do compete but have not excluded either. Just about every night there would be hogs chasing deer off the bait or just the opposite. We also had turkeys chasing hogs out of areas. The rancher never had any issues with them killing any calves, just destruction to his property.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I was talking to a guy at work and they are going on a hunting trip for hogs. I and my son are looking forward to doing something like this. It is late August for the trip and costs 600 for 10 or more. Includes night accomdations and meals.
    Waiting for him to tell me what it is like?

OkieHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Not entirely true. I spent this past winter and spring in Oklahoma and was able to kill multiple hogs on property with an abundance of deer and turkey. They do compete but have not excluded either. Just about every night there would be hogs chasing deer off the bait or just the opposite. We also had turkeys chasing hogs out of areas. The rancher never had any issues with them killing any calves, just destruction to his property.

I lived in SE OK for 11 years. The hogs down there were released 50 years ago and they simply took over the place. You cannot free range hogs in OK so the wildlife department allowed you to kill hogs at your leisure. Someone posted earlier that they are tasty when less than 200#. I agree with that completely as I shot and ate hogs every year while living in OK. The wildlife department came in several years ago and made landowners/leasers pay to have the hogs trapped and removed. Naturally, they couldnt catch them all so the population is beginning to grow again. However, you can only kill them during deer season.

Last edited:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    im sorry I couldn't hold the line to keep them from moving north.

Hold the line? I know a lot farmers dont want hogs, both sides of my family have large farms, but I think an unlimited supply of moving targets with no bag limit sounds like something I would welcome. Im not gonna lie, farmers are gonna hate on me, but I want hogs.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Hold the line? I know a lot farmers dont want hogs, both sides of my family have large farms, but I think an unlimited supply of moving targets with no bag limit sounds like something I would welcome. Im not gonna lie, farmers are gonna hate on me, but I want hogs.

You think that now, but when the time comes that you change your mind, it will be too late. The don't only impact farmers. They also impact ground nesting birds such as quail, turkey, grouse, etc. They destroy gardens over night. There are few fences that keep them from going where they want to go. With the ability to produce three litters a year you can't out-hunt them once they are well established.
    Also imgine the safety issue. What if you where out mushroom hunting or rabbit hunting with your kids or grandkids and you jump a big 300-pound boar that was sleeping in a wallow that decides you shouldn't be there. There's no good outcome on that because someone is going to get hurt and it isn't just going to just be the hog. No matter how fast you are on the draw or how good a shot you are, someone is going to get hurt.
    There are so many negative aspects of wild hogs that most folks don't think about.
    I want to hunt them too, but I don't ever want them taking over this state.
    Imagine our state without multi-flora roses, carp, and starlings. Those are all things that were introduced and now there's no way to get rid of them and they aren't half as destructive as hogs.

Top Bottom