• ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Qualifying this statement, alleged.

Had a friend call me last night all in a huff. He said he was called to his brother in law's to find out what kind of animal was digging up his "yard".

When he got there, there were two hogs rooting like crazy out by the woods.

Long story short, he shot them both, the DNR was called (not sure why though) and an officer came out to verify what was taken.

As the officer walked to the truck where the hogs were, he blurted out: "Yep, feral hogs!"

Whether escapees from a local farm or not, he said they had been out long enough to return to a "wild" state as was witnessed by their thick hair and tusks.

These animals can breed like rabbits (figurtively speaking) and there was a boar and sow taken. That can only mean one thing, there most likely are more out there.

Two were taken, maybe we will have to go back for a specific hunt! :D

I did volunteer by the way! ;)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I read somewhere recently that an escaped, domesticated hog can turn feral in as little as two weeks!

BTW- There is currently no season on feral hogs in Indiana, but DNR still requires you to report the kills. Much like a road-kill or nuisance kill.

I'm still hoping to find some up my way soon. If there are two, there are many, many, more!

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    RELEASE: Wild hogs found near Middlebury

check-big.png

296111960-17181836.JPG
    Photo courtesy of the Indiana DNR

8:15 p.m. EST, February 17, 2012

The following news release was issued by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources on Friday night:

Indiana Conservation Officers are investigating a report of two feral hogs that were near US 20 and County Rd 12 in Middlebury in Elkhart County. According to witness at approximately 5:15 pm a woman came home to find that there was a pig in her yard. As she went to enter her house the pig came towards her. She contacted her brother who arrived and found that there were in fact two feral hogs with approximately 3 inch tusks and looked very shaggy. The brother contacted Indiana Conservation Officer Seth Owens and was advised that feral hogs were nuisance animals and could be destroyed by the landowner or written permission given to destroy the animals. Both feral hogs were destroyed. Officer Owens would like to comment that this is not a normal situation and more information is available on the DNR website about feral hogs. Further any sightings of feral hogs should be reported to the DNR.
    Feral / Wild Hog
    What are wild hogs?
    “Wild hogs”, also called “wild pigs”, “wild boar” or “feral pigs”, are among the many names that refer to non-native swine and various hybrids that have either been illegally released or were formerly domestic pigs allowed to become feral throughout many states, including Indiana. Wild hogs include domestic hogs that have acclimated to living in a wild or free-roaming environment, were born in the wild, are free-roaming without any visible tags, markings, or have behavioral characteristics that would indicate a domestic state or private ownership, or have skeletal characteristics indicative of a wild or Eurasian origin as defined in 312 IAC 9-3-18.6.
    Can a person legally kill a wild hog in Indiana?
    A landowner, tenant, or other person with written permission of the landowner can shoot or trap a wild hog on that landowner’s private property without a permit. Be sure to check local ordinances before using a firearm. If trapped, the hog must be killed at the trap site or euthanized immediately after moving it from the trap site. However, wild hogs cannot be offered for compensation of any kind for hunting or taking purposes and cannot be released into the wild. A person cannot charge a service fee for shooting, trapping or removing a wild hog from private property unless the person has a nuisance wild animal control permit from the Division of Fish and Wildlife.
    The Indiana Department of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the USDA-APHIS Wildlife Services and the Indiana State Board of Animal Health (BOAH), are working with impacted landowners in providing technical information to control wild hog populations. The IDNR, BOAH, and USDA-APHIS Wildlife Services do not provide information on where to hunt wild hogs in Indiana as part of this cooperative work with landowners

Copyright © 2012, WSBT-TV
    wsbt-release-wild-hogs-found-near-middlebury-20120217
    rating_on.jpg
    rating_on.jpg
    rating_on.jpg
    rating_on.jpg
    rating_on.jpg

Last edited:

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If they spread here like other states it will only be a matter of time....I hope they don't limt the taking of these hogs to a specific season....Let us enjoy the hunt year round...:twocents:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I could've sworn I had seen one a couple weeks ago in Kosciosko just 100 or so yards of on the north side of SR 14. I didn't say anything because I need glasses. Doesn't seem so far fetched now.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yep...

Those are indeed feral hogs. Feral meaning escaped and "returned to nature" domestic hogs.

Not at all to be confused with wild hogs / boar / etc.

And all of 'em, not penned up, are bad news.

-J-

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I could've sworn I had seen one a couple weeks ago in Kosciosko just 100 or so yards of on the north side of SR 14. I didn't say anything because I need glasses. Doesn't seem so far fetched now.

If it was summertime, I'd say that from my experiences in Kosciusko County...that could have just been one of the members of the "finer" sex sun bathing (yes, there are some that are quite attractive but that isn't the majority).

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The hogs I've seen in Kosciusko County, yes. Feral hogs, yes. They can both be eaten but one is much better than the other.

Top Bottom