• ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ya she does but I wouldn't wish her on my worst enemy

It's funny but I've seen that a lot.
    Siblings that are the total polar opposites. Like one gets all the good stuff and the other get's the left overs. :n00b:

Well I tried....

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I am lucky as my wife's family farms about 4k acres south of Shreveport LA so I get to hog hunt 1-2 times a year when we visit family. Last October we got 9 squeezers using PVS-14s and a PEQ-2 illuminator...the PEQ-2 makes a huge difference locating hogs out to 300-400 meters at night. My cousin just upgraded to thermals so I hope to see that setup this fall.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Anyone done any hunting in South Carolina? Gonna be down in the Low Country in June for vacation. Kinda thinking instead of an off-shore fishing trip I might try a hog hunt. Found a few places online but looking for suggestions if anyone here has had a good experience with a particular outfit.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I'd google south Carolina hog hunts and Im sure you could find something, my uncle is going to a place in Missouri that Is $300 for three days, unlimited hogs, stands and feeders are set up, no license needed they supply a cabin you just have to supply your own food so depending how his goes that may be my next trip

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'd google south Carolina hog hunts and Im sure you could find something, my uncle is going to a place in Missouri that Is $300 for three days, unlimited hogs, stands and feeders are set up, no license needed they supply a cabin you just have to supply your own food so depending how his goes that may be my next trip

Yep, looked a few places that seem to show promise, and all over the map on price. Hoping to hear a few first hand recommendations.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Tomorrow is my wild hog hunt. Don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight, I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve. Either that or this FL sunburn will keep me up.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Please keep us informed....

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Alright... Finally back from vacation and well rested.

Hog hunt was a evening hunt on the 22nd, and it was about 88 degrees when I got there. Got there around 14:30 and the guide took me out on a utv to show me the 6 stands that we could choose from to hunt. All stands had feeders in close proximity and the guide said no matter which stand I decided on he guaranteed that I'd see a hog. I ended up choosing the only stand that was in a somewhat swampy location, I figured with the heat the hogs may be in the cool mud.

The guide dropped me off at the stand around 15:00 and within the first 90 minutes I saw a hog, which I passed on since it was early. About 45 minutes later I saw another hog come out on a trail about 150 yards away, but it just crossed the path. Feeder went off at 18:15 and at 18:45 2 hogs came out about 100 yards away on a trail to my front left and were slowly walking towards the feeder. At around 75 yards one of the hogs stopped dead in its tracks, squealed did a 180 and took off in the opposite direction. Not sure if it winded me or what; the wind was kinda all over the place and swirling, but I expected the other hog to follow in its tracks and take off too. However, the other hog kept on walking towards the feeder. At about 50 yards the hog was behind some brush and a few trees so I stood up in the stand and shouldered my rifle and got ready to take a shot. I let the hog keep coming as close as it wanted too and was hoping to get a good broadside shot. At about 35 yards I decided that it was time and I cocked the hammer back on the Marlin .35Rem and put the crosshairs right on the front shoulder; at this time the hog was quartered towards me. Crosshairs locked on the front shoulder and I squeezed the trigger and let the 200gr bullet fly; BOOM! No reaction from the hog at all, not a flinch, not a jump, no buckling of the legs, nothing! It just turned around and hauled ass out of there. At this point I was racking my brain KNOWING that I hit that pig, hell I had to... it was 35 yards away. So I got a hold of the guide and then had to wait about 45 minutes for the guide to get there (their rules, you can't get out of the stand until the guide arrives).

Guide finally gets there and we go to the spot where the hog was when I shot; no blood, no hair, only deep hoof prints where it dug into the ground and turned to run. I told the guide that I was 99.9% positive that I made contact with my shot and he said well lets look around a bit. So we started walking in the direction the hog ran; and about 30 yards later there he was; HOG DOWN! Decent size boar hog, weighed in at 157lbs. That .35Rem put a hurtin on that hog and pretty much blew out the shoulder I shot it in, destroyed both lungs and the heart and exited right threw the bottom of the chest cavity. First picture is front side of the shoulder where bullet entered and 2nd picture is where it exited the shoulder...

Top Bottom